Autonomous Las Vegas Shuttle Bus involved in Accident within an hour

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good headline eh! A stationary vehicle doesn't crash

Silva likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Hilbert ffs the clickbait is real!
    I like the idea of electric vehicles and would love to own one but hate the autonomous driving and woulnd't buy anything with it incorporated.
    That said, it wasn't the bus fault but the fault of a stupid human driver.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There, better now?

5. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Yeah, the original headline was a bit ambitious.
    I think the head line should read "Autonomous Bus Stopped when Truck started to reverse, and the Truck reversed into it"

6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    The original title was misleading. Title should be: Autonomous vehicle does not sound the horn continuously when a vehicle is reversing into it. :p

7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Typical journalism, no story what so ever.

8. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    But, to provide a counter argument, a human driver would have sounded the horn or left the truck more space in the first place, or even taken avoiding action when it became clear the truck wasn't going to stop. :p

holler likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    If only there was some cheaper solution to these driving vehicles, something that could say, drive it safely and possibly be able to think for itself and learn and become better the more it drives, i mean just imagine if had something that would be able to do all that and more right now. lol

10. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    While there are human drivers, I'm not getting into a self-driving vehicle. I don't think it can work safely, mixing human drivers with computer drivers in everyday traffic.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    So reading the article until the end:

The truck is 100% faulty, so the bus do it right... :)

12. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    automonous driving will fail hard just like VR. just too many limitations in AI still. Don't get me started on "AI" either....

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    lol.

It would also have been avoided if the bus had the same sensors as the truck. A pair of human eyes.

14. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    If I'm relying on an auto manufacturer's logic to drive me around, they better be the one paying the insurance bill!

15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    So the human that crashed into another vehicle is superior, because that vehicle actually did nothing wrong and did not adhere to some truck driver's tantrum?
    Interesting. Maybe self driving cars should be armed and "angry". Seems to be one of the rare things that human drivers understand perfectly.

edit: jokes aside, it would have been avoided if the human in the truck adhered to the law and did not crash into the bus.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Thing looks like a Johnny Cab. lol

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The bus did something wrong. It was unable to adapt to a mistake made by someone else.

With that thinking, you shouldn't check both sides of the road when you walk through a pedestrian crossing, because if someone hits you and kills you, it's fine, because it's not your fault. Perfect.

Eh... no. You need to be able to adapt to the mistakes of others.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Quoting for prosperity.

OT: It doesn't have to perfect, it just has to be better than us, and in this instance; it was.

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    You do have a point. But lack of human eyes is not the problem. The problem began with the human driver doing something stupid. Could have ended with the truck simply stoping. I guess the bus could have moved backwards (if there was room, we lack that info) but just standing there is not as bad as moving truck hitting someone in reverse. My conclusion (everyone is free to disagree) is that AI has less problem than the human drivers. That's why google pulled out their AI cars years ago. They were just not able to adapt to stupid mistakes some humans made. It is the AI that needs to learn more before it's ready to join the roads and share them with humans. Unless you put an AI into 100 ton truck and then watch humans trying to do stupid things...oh wait, there already are train-trucks that humans stay the hell away from. :)

if all drivers were AI, you wouldn't have to. But more to the point, driver that kills me goes to jail because it his fault too. :) But me being dead can't care about me being dead. :) :p

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Since you can't prevent humans from doing stupid things (because they're human,) you need to stop viewing it as a problem. It's normal. If an autonomous car can't deal with normal, it shouldn't be allowed on the road.

People are going to reverse when they shouldn't. They are going to overtake when they shouldn't. Take U-turns they shouldn't. If the autonomous car's answer to this is "stop moving, cover my ears and shout LALALALALA" then please don't put that thing on the road.

G*addict likes this.