Automatic Undervolt keeps resetting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cryohellinc, Jan 13, 2020.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hi guys,

Automatic Undervolt keeps resetting, below screenshot of the settings:

[​IMG]

It will randomly revert to manual. Anyone has a solution for this? Can it be related to Afterburner?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Bump, anyone?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's one of the current little driver bugs where some of the settings can reset such as on reboot though yeah if you use MSI Afterburner it will interfere until you probably disable hardware support and disable many of the overrides it can do with the GPU.

EDIT: Well maybe not will but it can interfere if you have overrides for the GPU from multiple sources such as in this case Wattman and Afterburner or the API AMD uses (ADL and Overdrive.) might be a bit confused so to say and that could interfere even if there's limited overrides from Afterburner active. It's a possibility but I would expect this to be one of the driver bugs and unrelated to other software.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    cryohellinc likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its doing the same for me but on fan profile while overclock is kept. Funny thing is that its not always. Today i booted up and it didnt reset with 20.1.3

cryohellinc likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thanks for getting back to me guys!

Hm, I see. Will try to tweak those settings.

Exactly! Sometimes it happens, sometimes it won't. I can't figure out what causes it to reset altogether.

Undying likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its annoying having to reset and upload the profile everytme on boot. Lets hope amd will acknowledge and fix it with the newer updates.

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Apparently it is related to Afterburner. After some testing I have disabled all the settings in MSI Afterburner general settings section -→ on the bottom of it is AMD Compatibility settings --→ Untick them all.

So far no more resetting.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont use AB anymore just wattman and its still happening every second or third cold boot.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I see. Will monitor on my end then. I don't use wattman either.

If it resets again, definitely a driver issue.

Undying likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    One of the compatibility options there is specifically for wiping stored overrides so those don't interfere so perhaps that was ticked, might be by default for AMD GPU's to ensure MSI Afterburner's settings apply and AMD's don't interfere.

EDIT: There's one or two Power Play registry strings related to how that all works those get removed and the GPU is back to default settings. :)
    (So on reboot with MSI Afterburner running and this set those just get deleted for compatibility or troubleshooting instead of persisting due to being written into the registry.)

EDIT: Erase autosaved startup settings I think it was, added a bit later on probably in response to AMD changing Wattman or replacing the earlier OverDrive with Wattman some years back.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In my case it was the Afterburner after all.

After unticking all the compatibility settings - it didn't reset for several days now.

12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Have the issue also. Not using Afterburner(or anything else).

Another thing you may have noticed - the thing keeps checking for newer drivers, even if set to Manual. It may not be a huge issue, sure, but this "sloppy" may not end here. AMD needs to get it together.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That's really on indeed then.

14. radutomy

radutomy Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5700 Mech OC
    I have the exact same problem. The undervolting settings keep resetting randomly and I have to reload the profile from a saved xml file. Fresh Windows 10 install. Never used MSI afterburner or any other overclocking software.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Same here, still. I thought it was fixed, however, after some time it always gets reset again. I have no clue what is causing it/conflicting with it. It's a minor thing, but I do like to undervolt and this constant "reset" is irritating.

16. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Are you sure the driver isn't crashing in Windows? Mine seems to only reset if the driver (or the system) crashes, but I'll keep an eye if it happens between reboots.

I'm using 20.2.2, since I experienced random bugs with 20.4.1.