Auto-Transmission vs Manual Transmission on VEHICLES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 10, 2010.

?

AT or MT ?

1. Auto Transmission

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Manual Transmission

69 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I use MT and AT on different vehicles. never had a problem. enjoying both. but yeah AT is a nice feature..relaxing..in both urban driving and long trips.

what u think guys..

2. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    AT is good in cities and for old people
    not saying you are THAT old :p

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Manual or CVT.
    Long trips? How so? You get bored to death when you drive highway and you don't change gear there anyway.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol sash :)

u enjoy shifting gear Anarion? interesting :)..i was in fcking pain about shifting gear when i did my last trip to 1100+ km trip lol..

But wait , i must be objective. it was just some areas. rest of the way i didnt change gear anyway..and not all of my way is highways here -_-..500 KM is clearly highway..rest is normal. iam talking for a specific route of course..the route that i drive from my city to my wifes parents city lol :)

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Manual every time. Auto is for lazy people and / or Americans.

Depends on the roads as well though, on the Isle of Man there are lots of country roads, so manual is SO much more fun. No speed limit here on the mountain road either.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Word. Automatic transmission is just... boring... and what's more, you have less control over what the car is doing. You are the user, therefore you decide.

My late grandfather drove a Peugeot 306 with no power steering ('twas a stick shift, of course) until his early 80's. Automatic transmission exists because of America's culture of "the dumbest/laziest people have to have it too."

7. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Excuse me, but last I checked I'm American and I much prefer a manual transmission lol:p, but they do seem to be getting rarer and rarer around here which is such a shame

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think not. Auto is for people who don't have a huge interest in cars and just want to get from A to B. That being said, I would prefer a manual if I had the choice, I just can't afford a new car.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I prefer a manual transmission but there´s nothing wrong with the auto ones. My father has a VW Sharan with AT and it´s nice and specially usefull for people who live in cities, for when we are stuck in traffic or for people who have back problems, like my father.

So it´s a really a question of taste and necessity in some cases.

10. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    You get used to manual transmission anyway... you don't even think about it after a while.

11. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Manual gears are the best because the car is faster and much more fun to drive.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah, it work is games too. Automatic only slows cars in games/simulators and you have better control of engine breaking with manual.

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I like cars and still have an Automatic.

There's times where you just rather drive then worry about changing gears.

Not that it matters, I got my license on a manual and can drive manuals fine.
    My old Lancer at the Sequential shifter, was fun even though it was an Auto.

14. Ronin

Ronin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560 Superclocked
    Not with the latest generation of 'automatic' gearboxes such as Porsches PDK box. This is a 7 speed twin clutch type box that has already pre-selected the next gear before you ask for it and can swap cogs much much quicker than anyone can with a manual change. You can also use it like a manual box so the argument about having more control with a manual is also out of date I'm afraid.

Having said that I still prefer manual changes as they are more enjoyable to interact with and both my cars are indeed manuals.

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    u got LICENSE for Transmission Finch? interesting...

16. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    You drive in a city the size of Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, even Bucharest during rush hours with manual and we will talk about that automatic transmission

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    I prefer having both at the same time in one car.

18. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 FE
    I had quite a few cars over the years, both manual and auto... and i prefer manual for reliability. I always like to drive my cars hard, and i'm bad for transmissions health :puke2:

edit: i have to admit though, where i live in new york, the manual can be a lot of work at times in traffic.

19. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I prefer a manual trans, It gives me a better driving experience, more control. not to mention the power loss of a torque converter. also if your starter or battery dies you're not up the creek.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Never driven a car with automatic transmission. As far as I know shifting is faster with automatic car than with manual ones (hand to shifter, clutch, other gear, release clutch). Sure if you have car which has upshift and downshift on your wheel and dont need to use clutch (manumatic?) then manual transmission gives you better results.

They use automatic tranmission in big trucks so it cant be bad. When you drive all day because of your work, you might prefer automatic (taxi or truck).

Is normal priced cars automatic also shifts faster and can be faster when accelerating on straight line.

Manual gives you better control on your car and helps at corners, you know what you are doing better than car (shift down to get higher rpm and drift through icy corner, uphill) or something else.

Up to you, try yourself. Like I said, never driven car with automatic transmission.