Auto HDR/SDR on Windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Xtreme512, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Hello, I recently bought VG27WQ and I'm using 20H2 v2 latest Windows. Right now, I couldn't upgrade my GTX1060 due to you know, but still have HDR feature ready on both end.

My question is, assume that monitor is calibrated out-of-the box or at least a few changes in its OSD menu for accuracy;

1) How Windows will behave on HDR vs SDR on desktop, games and MPC-HC madVR movies?
    2) Do I need to create ICC profile? If yes, for HDR or SDR? and when to use which, is up to the user or OS?
    3) How will monitor OSD's options know the content is HDR or SDR to put accurate view?

As you can see its a bit complicated for me because there are lots of variables, I would like to know how to do it right and what other people are doing with this kind of setup?

Thanks!

edit: I know the capabilities of the monitor (I like it) and I know its HDR'ent variant but at least it would be a day/night difference coming from 2333T.

2. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    After playing with it a few days, I set it up now correctly and HDR works wonders on this monitor, I really liked it. As for the accuracy, no need for ICC profile, matter of fact, official ICC profile breaks colors. For SDR, from factory default you just have to reduce red to 90 or 92 and you can leave the rest default (maybe reduce the blue 1 or 2 notch as well), out-of-the box its accurate but a bit high on red. For HDR, leave default on ASUS Gaming HDR. Plus don't set it to 165Hz as it causes banding, instead set it to 144 or 120Hz at 10-bit Full RGB on nvidia panel.

1) You don't need to enable Windows HDR (unless want to view YouTube HDR videos), games and madVR will automatically switch the monitor to HDR mode. And its amazing! I tested it with native HDR 10-bit videos and its remarkable really.
    2) No as stated above.
    3) Stated above.

Coming from C-PVA 23" Samsung 2333T, its an upgrade; I liked the size, colors etc. But it has bit more light bleed than usual VA panels due to its curved nature, just on the curved sides it has bleeding. Plus my luck I think I have a dead pixel, but not sure as its grey not black, and somehow not very visible.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    > 2) Do I need to create ICC profile? If yes, for HDR or SDR? and when to use which, is up to the user or OS?

HDR doesn't permit the loading of icc profiles, a default wide gamut profile is used.

> 3) How will monitor OSD's options know the content is HDR or SDR to put accurate view?

The monitor doesn't.

4. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    3) How will monitor OSD's options know the content is HDR or SDR to put accurate view?
    This depends on manufacturer, for both my LG monitor OSD will show HDR ON when my signal is HDR.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Depends on the signal received. Which will be HDR or non HDR.

6. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    2) If you add the ICC profile as "Add as Advance Colour Profile" in the Colour Management settings, windows will load that profile in HDR mode if and when the application or game requires it. Calibrating your display in HDR mode to get that ICC profile requires Colour Calibration Hardware, DisplayCal, MadVR and either calibrating the monitor in its highest brightness or disabling the displays tone mapping if possible.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    I don't really know what HDR actually does in Windows. HDR has been around for 20 or so years in gaming.

8. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    That's another "HDR" you are talking about, one that looks like bloom lighting effect that came with older gen. need for speed games. This HDR we are talking about is not that old and its a different approach. I know it should've been named something else to avoid confusion.

9. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The HDR of 20 years ago is a feature much like a "post process" that is performed on a graphics card.

HDR today can be explained in the following link but to give you an enthusiasts understanding of what it is, it improves colour volume and contrast in photography, film/TV and games by increasing the brightness range of the image to over 13 stops of brightness in contrast to SDR's limited 6 stops. HDR is closer to how our eyes perceive detail in the visible world so the images pop.

https://www.techradar.com/news/tele...-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

To experience impactful HDR, you would be better off getting a monitor that is capable of displaying over 1000nits of brightness, has local dimming support, outputs 10 bit colour (8 bit + 2Bit FRC is fine) and displays over 90% of DCI-P3 colour gamut.

Following is a list of HDR monitors;

https://www.displayninja.com/hdr-monitor-list/

There is more to HDR and HDR10/HDR10+ (VESA), Dolby Vision (Dolby) and Hybrid Log Gamma (BBC/NHK) have their own interpretation of what HDR is.

Last edited: May 1, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    Mufflore likes this.
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Some older games still need the manual switch in Windows 10 display section switch, with the newer ones, and movies the signal is sent and its done automatically. It's confusing, IMHO those older games should release patches, so its done like the newer ones.

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I haven't seen a single game that switched it automatically. Setup issue perhaps?

12. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    There are games that switch automatically - Destiny 2, Sekiro: Shadows Dies Twice, Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake, Resident Evil VIIIage (Demo), Devil May Cry 5, Hitman 1 and 2, and Doom Eternal come to mind and I am sure there are more.

I have also observed that if it is a Microsoft first party game on PC then you will have to enable HDR first.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks, I think I don't have any of those games so that explains it. CoD doesnt' switch automatically, Senua's sacrifice doesn't and even Metro won't do anything.
    I'm happy to know there's a mechanism though.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Good post, a few things to add...

I use a Samsung Q9FN TV for movies (HDR2000 almost), its capable of 10bit HDR but I use it with 8bit full RGB and it still looks great.
    There is a chance of seeing banding but only one movie exhibited it so far and only for a small section of the film (cant remember which, is a war film).
    Not seen any problems with PC games.
    This saves me changing between YcBcR and RGB for HDR material, nice and convenient.

The BBC/NHK version of HDR was produced with the major design goal of being able to receive the same HDR signal on an SDR display and still look as intended (ie as an SDR image).
    This gets round needing to transmit 2 versions, it works pretty well.
    HLG is not as advanced as other HDR methods but I have no complaints other than turning max light output down a bit to compensate for the TV turning HDR1000 into HDR2000. However this can look pretty damn good if left brighter, depends on what is being watched.
    (bright video can be a bit too much, lower brightness video really pops)