Audio stutter and sync issues.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The Laughing Ma, Dec 7, 2020.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Just throwing this issue out there to see if any Gurus have some suggestions.

I seem to be suffering from a very intermittent issue with video replay on my new rig.

I built this 3700x, MSI 450b Mortar, 2070super earlier in the year and opted to go Win 10 Pro for the operating system. For the first few months all seemed well bar having to replace a faulty GPU.

A few months ago I started to notice a clear desync between video and audio playback in VLC and an audiable stuttering of audio in Kodi playback. I messed around with a few different options to resolve the issue and seemed to settle with switching my audio source from the onboard Realtek to the GPU audio through my monitor and that seemed to work until recently.

So things I have tried, I've tried switching between audio sources, GPU and Realtek onboard. I have also updated GPU and Realtek drivers. I've tweaked in Windows settings changing the audio playback quality as well as adjusting weather programs have exclusive control of audio playback devices.

For a few days there I thought I may have nailed the issue as an issue with my media harddrive being the cause however after 3 days of playing videos stored on my NvME back with no obvious issues last night I started to suffer again from visible audio video de-sync during playback. The issue seems to be totally random in nature sometimes occurring after 10 minutes in to a video and sometimes never happening, in all cases closing the playback and restarting the playback software fixes the issue.

I've also noticed the issue only once or twice in the past during Youtube playback however there is no issue whatsoever in games. I am honestly at a loss as to what the issue could be.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    * Issues with timer(s). I don`t know whether timers are in use while video playback, but since video-stream and audio-stream should be in sync some timers should be used.
    Maybe you need a good video-editing software to view the syncing of streams during playback.

* Issues with memory or any other resource leaks. If some bug causes the leaks they can get in the way of playback.
    How to test that suggestion I have no idea.

PS
    Also in the case of audio there are several paths it can go through - Kernel Streaming, WASAPI, ASIO, DirectX - you should test them all in video player capable to select.

3. erouz

erouz Member

GPU:
    1070ti
    You can use latencymon to nail which driver causing issues. It helped me with sdd amd drivers.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Thought I would just give a quick update on this issue, just on the off chance anyone else was suffering from the same problem. After posting back in December I tried shutting down some programs and messing with settings in Windows sound which I believed seemed to fix the issue. I.e it went away and the system seemed to run alright for the last few months, it did this last time some messing around seemed to fix the issue, it disappeared and then came back.

Anyway two or three days ago the stuttering came back and this time it came back really aggressively, obvious mouse stutter linked with very bad sound crackling and popping when the system was under and sort of initiated load. I.e only happens when opening a program or when loading and scrolling webpages. Again I opted to do some messing about to see what was causing the issue this time however nothing seemed to fix it... until I closed down Malware Bytes. The second I closed this it stopped, completely so far it seemed to be holding but I am going to do some more trials just to confirm.