Audio options for SLI?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TacomaYakko, May 31, 2011.

1. TacomaYakko

TacomaYakko New Member

GPU:
    9600M GT
    Issue #1 - I'm seeing a lot of "you don't have to connect SPDIF to GTX400/500 series cards" in Google searches, but I can't figure out if they have an input for it anyway. Specs don't seem to mention it at all.

Issue #2 -

I hear people are mostly satisfied with audio from the new NV cards, but preference between those and audio from sound cards seems varied and subjective. I would prefer this build to be as 'all-in-one' as possible. I'm willing to try out the GTX5x0's audio before considering a sound card for gaming, but at some point I'm going to have to do some music work.

To recap:

1) Does the GTX5x0 have SPDIF in regardless of it's "lack of need" (and is there something I'm not understanding here)?
    2) If it doesn't, is it feasible to use the 9800GT for SPDIF audio as well as a physx card, or would I be better off doing something else?
    3) Other options?

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    no spdif on 500 series cards, they already have a realtek chip rated at 108db SNR iirc.

and not feasible to use a 9800gt with the gtx500 series. if you look at some of the physx benchmarks, having a 9800gt actually pulled down the framerate compared to using a single 500 series card for rendering and physx.

at the moment, i'd recommend a 560ti, just because apparently theyre the only ones listed as supporting the bitstreaming of dts master audio. the 570 and 580 dont have support for it for some unknown reason.

personally, im happy with the audio from my 560 ti. its not as loud as my asus xonar d2x (for the same volume settings), but that doesnt really bug me since im using a pioneer vsx 920 receiver and a 5.1 home theater system.

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    For stereo music playback IMO the Xonar Essence STX is still the best internal soundcard currently out there but yeah, it takes up a PCIe slot and there's (expensive) external DACs to consider for better audio quality. I'm still waiting for an in-depth review of that Xonar Essence One that's supposed to be coming soon. For stereo music recording, AFAIK the E-Mu 0404 USB is still top of the list unless you want to spend a couple times more.

As for surround sound, I was told by a fellow guru the Xonar HDAV 1.3 has slightly better audio quality than an Onkyo receiver that uses the same Burr Brown DACs but it's a close call. For simple playback, I would go for an Oppo BDP-95 because of its superior audio quality.