Audigy4 Value vs Audigy2 ZS, which one?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Drunkenmasta, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi all,

Well it looks like the Audigy 2 ZS is starting to be short stocked and I've noticed some Audigy4 Value's appearing on the price lists. Which one is better?(for my setup anyway).

Is it THX certified like the ZS as well?

pz out!

2. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    The difference is impossible to notice IMO. I've heard both of the same speakers. Although apparently the audigy 4 has a few more features. I always just suggested the A2 ZS just because it was priced so well. Be careful with value editions though. They ussually come lacking some features that the original version had.

3. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah true, I would think that the Audigy 2 ZS would prevail because it is THX approved with the 7.1 surround option.

Thanks, any more input from anyone else is more then welcome to :)

pz out

4. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    How much is the audigy 4 btw?

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are so similar, the A2ZS is 7.1 and THX certified.. The Audigy 4 uses different colors for their drivers...it all boils down to price I guess. I have never compard the Audigy 4 Value, I am talking about the regular Audigy4...You can get the Audigy 2 value aswell..Read up on the cards and see where the differences are...Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Audigy 2 = Audigy 4

Apart from THX and small difference in DAC quality.
    Audigy 4 was just a small upgrade from Audigy 2 so no, there isn't much difference. X-Fi is a new chip, completelly different from all chips before it.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    THX is a certification that shows a device falls within certain audio pararmeters that's all. I have the Audigy 2 value/OEM and for the most part it's the same as the ZS...except for the Dacs..so I am assuming thats why it doesn't have the THX rating....I installed the THX Panel though and used it to set up my soundsystem even more precisley...

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Yeah, Value cards can be "modded" to ZS. Same for 2 ZS to 4. Apart from hardware DAC specs of course.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yeah, I was using using the Audigy 4 apps on my A2 Value/oem. Even now I am using the THX setup panel...which I really like..Youp pax makes these driver packs for anyone interested.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Though i prefered original drivers because of proper working features and EAX HD. Youp-PAX tend to break things... X-Fi is using latest software now so i'm even more happy hehe. Audigy 2 software wasn't that bad either though i prefer current X-Fi centralized panel for every mode instead of fully separate consoles for every feature.

11. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    In my humble opinion, all audigys are the same. Just a few things differs, such as DACs like the other guys said. Just get yourself the cheapest.

Peace out ! ;)

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I must say I do like the new driver for the X-fi's. Seems like it's a functional way of doing things...

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Maybe it would be smart to add profiles so you don't have to constantly switch between modes. But i doubt we'll see that on current X-Fi series...

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    On the original driver CD for the Sb Live! 5.1 16bit..they had a application called AUTO EAX..this program was similar to radlinker, it gave the user the ability to assign profiles to each application. So you could add a concert preset to your music player a direct prest for your movies etc..even gave the ability to change from 5.1 to stereo...I have been thinking about this little app for awhile I think I will install it and see if I can get it to work with my A2. Creative has since abandoned this application...seems like they might have added the idea to the X-fi's...

15. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hmm, some good points here. What exactly are DACs for THX? If it's only minor I'll look int2 gettin sumthin cheaper :p.

Thanks!

pz out

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    DAC's are Digital to Analog Converters they convert the digital information in the PC to analog sound set to the speakers. There is not much difference between the dacs on the Audigy for to the dacs on the Audigy 2 or for that matter the Audigy 2 value...only a few Decibels. THX is not something that can be switched on or off..it is merely a rating from Lucas labs that shows this product falls within defined audio parameters...Hope that helps.

17. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    Well i live here in Singapore where C-Labs is borned ...

I recently when to the C-lab HQ warehouse sale and got a upgrade for my aging SB live 5.1 to an Audigy 4

Something to note

these are local prices ...

A2ZS SGD$149
    A4 SGD$129

This are full retail packs and not value editions

From a SB live to a A4 the upgrade in audio quality is quite significant to say the least ... my games run smoother too.

I considered buying a A2ZS only to see that the A4 is cheaper ...

A2 vs A4 minor difference pick the cheaper of the 2.

A2 is moddable to A4 anyway

BTW A4 Value dun exist i believe the only A4 are OEM packs and FULL retail editions i believe they removed the remote control dongle and control thats all ... unless ur building a HTPC the remote is useless ... =D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    BTW Masta it is not such a big deal when you consider the price difference..
    I think the A2 Values are like 106 db, while the A2 ZS is 108 db, the Audigy 4 the most expensive of the buch is like 113...so not huge differences in sound quality...AS was pointed out you can mod them to a A4 or you can use KX drivers which sound better than Creative drivers anyway...Oh Don't buy the SB LIve 24 bit 7.1 or the Audigy SE...both contain Weird DSP's that aren't very good for anything....so keep that in mind..

19. ASmokerz

ASmokerz Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 9800 PRO @ 405/715
    Some how rather i dunno why the A2ZS is more expensive the the A4 in Singapore ??? HMMM stock clearance by C-labs LOL

My A4 sound great btw Any tips for tweaking ROB? btw i want EAX 4 so no KX for me =D

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I use all A4 applications because I wanted the THX panel..So I am using the OPenAL beta driver for now..top off with Audigy 4 Apps...very slick interfaces..I loaded this up so I caould play some games for awhile but I will get board after while and switch back to KX... Basically just try and keep your levels as high as possible with out clipping..this helps with the SNR and in turn produces better sound. Yeah I have been playing with EAX latley...I have EAX Advanced HD or also called EAX4