Audigy LS or stock onboard sound with ASUS mobo - Via Chipset?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scotpig, May 16, 2004.

1. scotpig

scotpig Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X800XT 256mb
    Anyone have probs with running games with Creative Audigy LS vs. Using onboard sound thru Mobo/Via chipset?

I recently yanked my soundcard to try out the onboard sound with my mobo, and it seems that I possibly traded 1 problem for another.

Anyone have any advice on the pro's and con's between using the 2?

Advantages, Disadvantages?

I think I read somewhere that Creative sometimes causes glitches with certain video cards, etc., so I switched.

Now I'm having intermittent crashes in the middle of games.
    Sometimes I'll be 5 minutes into a game, sometimes it'll let me play for an hour straight!!!!

This thing is driving me nuts.

Is there any additional BIOS settings I need to tweek after switching to onboard sound? Will this use up resources causing my video card to lose performance?

It seems things were fine before I switched, but I cannot pinpoint the issue.....

Thanks,

Scotpig....

2. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I had problems with HALO using the onboard sound chip. Even tech support said there might be issues with onboard sound.

Onboard sound chips steal cycles from the CPU in order to produce the sound. Sound cards, with a separate processor such as the Audigy ZS, handle all the sound processing itself. Leaving the CPU to handle the grapics. This will give back some FPS...and keep the game from lagging.

You will also get the benefit of hearing all the sound your games have to offer, as alot of them have the 5:1 option off if no sound card is detected that can handle it.

Such as HALO, Joint Operations, UT2004, Far Cry, Black Hawk Down....etc.

Before setting up your card, you need to uninstall the onboard sound drivers. Then, during reboot, disable the onboard sound chip in the BIOS. Then proceed to install your card drivers when you get back into Windows.