ATITool Ram Timing Adjustments...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by PsXDnS, Jan 31, 2005.

1. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    Hi - I was curious if anyone here has experimented with ATITool's ram timing adjustment feature..

Also for those that have, had a question:

If you OC too much (in ATITool ram timings), does your system reboot, video card blow, artifacts form, what happens?

and if that does happen, how do you fix it?

Thanks.

2. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    Just leave it alone. There are no performance beneftis from messing with it. They are so had to get correct and could end up in fried ram.

3. Justin8018

Justin8018 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    YO

thats a big negative , you can gain alot from thoose timings, a good 500 in 3dmark, no damage, just turn em down 1 at a time and test, but with the timings tighted, you will not be able to OC as much, but if your running out of voltage, then mess with these but if you have the volts, go for the mhz, timing are not as important, bu they can be tqeaked for a fignificant performance increase

4. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    For me, I could not squeeze any extra MHz.
    To answer your question with my own experience: improper settings instantly cause massive video issues. They cleared for me on reboot, but it scared the hell out of me. Unless you edit your card's BIOS the RAM Timings should be restored on reboot. Unless you have a thorough understanding of the RAM timings you could easily spend days trying to figure out the best combination. My Vidcard RAM displayed around 15 or so adjustable timings (a great leap from the 4 timings on my comp's main RAM). I gave up after 1 day.

5. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Justin, i doubt that. Its the general consencious to just leave them alone.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    If you dont know what you are doing then dont mess with it.

Its better to have a working video card than having regreted that you ever did anything to it. And remember experimenting something is your choice. Successful or not it is your own decision, if changing timings were to make a really big difference, then you wouldve read a lot about it already.

7. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    You're right - instead of asking questions that might lead to new ideas, I should just throw away all ideas that come to mind. So much for our future boys, nobody is inventing anything anymore because "if you haven't heard of it by now, who cares!"

8. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Its not like its a new question, if you would have searched for it then you would have gotten the same answer that we gave you. Also, your welcome for helping you out.

9. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    You didn't help me out...

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Maybe because there were many people before you that have already "experimented" with that or something similar. We have nothing against it we are just recommending whats right and safe. Why would we recommend something that we havent heard of or seen before. And what is this about inventing? You are talking about modifying video card settings, we are not stopping you. You can go and create a guide for fastest video timings if you wanted.

We just go by what others have done already and the experiences that go with them(enthusiasts), those who bother reading up and learning about it will know more info and wont ask questions. Asking these kinds of questions will almost always get the same answer. I mean you see bios flashes, volt mod, pencil mod and you wonder why there isnt a timing latency guide, mainly because every latency is different for everyone since not everyone has the same card/ram type.

Like I said i have nothing against it and only recommend on what is safe. Ive seen people who couldnt get their original timings back after reboot and others who have gone through several bios flashes just to get their card to work. Another guy getting artifacts after reboot w/ original settings. Other people getting it to work, others not really any change...

Now I know the concept, looser timing = can oc better, tighter timings = faster ram. If you want to play with the settings go on right ahead, no one is stopping you, If you manage to get the card to perform ultimately faster then post it up and talk about it, but in the mean time there isnt really any reason for everyone to jump on this because somewhere down the line there will be problems that not many people will know about/fix. :D.

Anyways Good Luck :thumbup:.

11. Aramoro

Aramoro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS X850XT PE VIVO AGP
    Hi Gump, noob here, I was impressed with your 3DMark05 score. I'm running a very similar setup but have only scored 3950. I thought that was a little low. I'm running the most current mobo bios and Catalyst drivers. Any thoughts?

12. Aramoro

Aramoro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS X850XT PE VIVO AGP
    Great! apparently my system specs didn't go in.
    O.S.: WinXP Pro
    Mobo:ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    Ram: Corsair XMS TWINXLPro 512x2 DDR 400 pc3200
    Video: H.I.S. X800XTPE vivo edition IceQII
    Storage: 2x WD 36.5gb SATA RAID 0
    Audio: Audigy 2zs Platinum Pro
    Logitech Z680 5.1 THX