AtiTool fried my card???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by chinkgai, Dec 15, 2004.

1. chinkgai

chinkgai Member

so i was scanning for max core...it hits 583.something and freezes...first the program...then windows. i thought it was my drivers. i tried again after running driver cleaner a couple times...and tried again...and reverted to old drivers and tried again...same results everytime...freezes at 583.something even with vpu recovery checked...

after a handful of tries, now it wont even run at stock speeds without have artifacts up the arse in about 20-30 seconds...

btw, i have an x800 xt and was using beta 4.12 then switched to official 4.12 and switched back a couple times...

so is it fried? i didnt know it would/could permanently damage my card...

2. 8itgreat

8itgreat Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/Si
    most people know it can fry your card man...thats why i dont believe its settings ever.....if i set mine at the top end of what it shows to be fine...would have fried my card long ago as well

3. SL2

SL2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980
    If you read the manual, you would know that you are supposed to stop it manually when artifacts appear.

4. Ferret_69

Ferret_69 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle Geforce 6800 (12/6) 128mb
    I used ATItool to overclock my 9600xt from 500/700 to 530/760. Everytime I changed the frequencies I checked for artifacts until I got it as high as possible without having artifacts. Isn't that the way the program is supposed to be used?

5. chinkgai

chinkgai Member

wow useful replies here guys, thanks [/sarcasm]

anyways, i've never had a problem before with atitool, its supposed to drop the speed if it detects artifacts, it didnt, it just froze...thats why i thought there was software related problem... if this happened to everyone, then i dont think atitool would nearly be as popular without the auto scanning for max oc thats SUPPOSED to drop the speed AUTOMATICALLY

anyways after i left it alone for a few hours in fear of it being damaged, it went back to normal, i guess it overheated and cooled down and is fine again...rock stable at 567/579 with 3dmark looping

take this as a heads up for others

i never had this problem with my 9800 pro

6. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    yeah, doesn't atitool drop our mhz everytime it detects artifacts, i know the version i'm using (0.022) does, and i was able to safely oc my radeon 9000 to the max without any artifacts.

7. chinkgai

chinkgai Member

wrong buddy, im using the same version

better to play it safe

8. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    i guess your rite, don't want to lose a card just for trying to get a few extra frames. :(