ATI X1900GT Cooler Switch?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Enozekun, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Hello, my X1900GT is idling at 73 celcius and when i played some Trackmania United just now it topped 95 degrees.

The question is , is my card damaged/broken somehow or is this just the crappy stock cooler's fault? If that is the case, i'll buy an AcceleroX2 from my work.

Oh and yes, i got the revision 1 of X1900GT.

Enozekun~

2. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I have the revision 2, idle at 45-46 C, and tops 71 at max load, with default ati cooler. Even when it's cooler than revision 1 (lower vcore and mhz) i think that you're too high, what is your ambient temperature?
    If you're experienced, an aftermarket cooler like that would be really nice, way cooler and silent.

3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Acceleros do wonders for these cards. My X1950 PRO tops out at around 50c under full load for a few hours with the fan at 100%, still silent. I had to turn the fan down to around 15% to raise the temps to stock levels.

Mind you, the X1950 pro is cooler than the x1900 gt, but by about 5c full load.

BTW: I hope you use that rev1 gt to it's full potential, I looked all over for one but couldn't find one, so I got this instead. :D

4. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Using it's full potential?

I think my CPU is dragging this card down, i'm not getting very good performance . Too bad i can't get a better CPU for this socket (939), it's pretty dead. I should've added some extra cash a year ago when i bought this rig and gone for AM2 instead :(
    When i'm playing the D-Day map on Call of Duty 2 i get like 10-20 fps lol.

I think that my RAM wasn't a good upgrade. I got my friend's two old 512 sticks and they aren't the same as the ones i got already. I also heard that AMD CPU's aren't good at handling 4x512Mb. Maybe someone could check this pic and see if these ram's doesn't fit well together?

http://i10.tinypic.com/4or2pp4.jpg

The two last ones ( Slot 3 & 4 ) are the new ones. One of them only have chips on one of it's sides unlike the others that have chips on both sides.

Anyhoo, i guess i'll buy an Accelero X2 from work then. This heat isn't producing any problems for me, but there's no reason to run it at these high temps when i can just add an aftermarket cooler and cool it down.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007

5. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    You hadn't a bad system, i think you should try with only 1 gig, and see if changes performance, that kind of behavior in hardware is different from pc to pc. You have a mix of chips there, the latency is the same, but shouldn't hurt to try.
    Wich settings are getting you down to 10-20 fps? try ligthening a bit some sets (specially AA)

6. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Here's screenshots on my settings, not using AA. I almost never use AA, ruins my FPS in almost every game ( Unless it's HL2 or older ).

http://i17.tinypic.com/66ow3gk.jpg
    http://i10.tinypic.com/661qwxi.jpg

Btw, does an overclock on my CPU from 2.2GHz to 2.54Ghz improve performance at all? I tried the overclock once but i reverted it and haven't used it since.

I'm gonna try to remove the new RAM and see how performance scales, afaik an upgrade to 2Gb from 1Gb should be quite big.

7. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Not really, only games like FEAR eat ram alive, as far as not all the memory is full it doesn't make a lot of difference.
    On overclocking i havn't a lot of info, because i don't overclock myself but surely at low-medium resolution makes a difference.
    Btw, the only demanding sets i see are in texture, try first a notch down in normal and specular maps, it should get better.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  8. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Its a good idea to run enemy crop at lower setting with slower CPU, as I've tested it, you could maxed out on other detail with X1900GT, I maxed out all the detail (including 4xAA with 16xAF) on X1800GTO once with only a Sempron, but its clocked at 2.5GHz and the GTO clocked at 620MHz core with 775MHz memory

Jump from 2.2GHz to 2.54GHz could gain some performance, you could try to see how much

1GB to 2GB RAM makes a lot of difference in terms of game smoothness especially at high detail in some games, like BF2 and Quake 4

9. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Well, i removed one of the sticks ( the one with chips on only one side ) and i'm not sure but i didn't really notice any difference in performance. I guess that the D-Day level on Cod2 is CPU-heavy, alot of stuff going on at once.
    I'm gonna put back the overclock at ~2.55Ghz againand see if it helps, and if it does i'm pretty sure that performance issues are due to my CPU.

10. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Well ,socket 939 has some pretty decent CPUs. You can get AMD 64 4000+ for only $59 at NewEgg ,or AMD 64 X2 3800+ for like $79. And there are also different CPUs ,better/worse for socket 939,Just look around.

11. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Sometimes only one quality option kills performance, experiment with all settings one by one before stressing the cpu on overclocking. On Neverwinter nights 2, an nvidia biased title, one option of point light annhihilates performance.

12. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Wow lol, COD2 sure is CPU-heavy :O

I upped my 3500+ to 2530Mhz (Highest stable OC without altering the voltage) and my FPS jumped up to 40-60. I must say i am surprised

13. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Wow, me too, sure is the only thing that you changed?

14. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Yes lol, i had changed the textures to High instead of Extra, but when i increased them to Extra again the performance was the same, stable 40-60FPS.

I noticed that i just resumed the mission , and i wasn't at the beach anymore. I was inside the town ( FPS here was bad before too though ) , so i restarted the mission from the boat at the beach where you climb the ropes. And again, the FPS was around 40-50. :knock:

15. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Head to head, going from Socket 939 to AM2 is a huge waste of money unless you're doing it because you can't find any Socket 939 cpus or some reason like that.

I have a rev. 1 X1900GT sitting on a shelf. With a Zalman VF900 on it, I was idling at 33C and I rarely saw it break 50C on load. And that was with a hefty overclock.

Seems a waste to have a card like that just sitting around but it's really hard to recoup any good money on "old" video cards.

16. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    This probably wouldn't matter to you because you're not an overclocker, but you can unlock pipelines in the rev1 X1900GT to make it into a 256 mb X1900XT clone.

Goo thing that you found the problem though, the 3500+ isn't very fast. :( There are still alot of good 939 CPU's, they're just harder to find.

Damn it desertjedi, where were you when I was looking for rev1 X1900 GT's?:p

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  17. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    How the work to unlock the extra pipelines was done?, trough bios?

18. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:

I forgot exactly what you need, but I'm pretty sure you need a modded BIOS.

19. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    When i booted my computer this morning it refused to start though, i had to revert the overclock and go back to 200x11 ( 2200MHz ) . Anyone know why this happened? Do i need to increase the voltage to the CPU? =/

20. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Most likely, if you have a list of voltages just increase it by one or two steps. Also, increase the chipset voltage by one step just to be safe. Maybe even the RAM if you don't have a divider.