1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Tray Tools 1.2.6.940 installs virus (trojan)

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Rakly, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Rakly

Rakly New Member

Hi, I'm not new to guru3d but I just made a forum accnt to let you guys know that I just downloaded ATI Tray Tools 1.2.6.940 and upon installing it also put a trojan on my PC.
    I use Avast! as AV

The install file doesn't show a virus when I scan it but as soon I execute the file I get this:
    14/11/2006 19:10:06 SYSTEM 1244 Sign of "Win32:Small-CPI [Trj]" has been found in "C:\Program Files\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tools\plugins\cpuload.dll" file.

I did I search before posting this and the only 'mention' I found is http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=189904&highlight=virus

I havn't checked other versions (yet) but I'd be weary before you install this tool.

edit: oops, only now saw this thread about the same subject: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=203996
    Seems he posted it not 10 minutes before I did :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. Drek

Drek Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD2600 XT
    It seems to me that this issue has been discussed before, I may be wrong, but I think this is a case of Avast giving a false positive. We'll wait for Ray to say something about it, but I don't think this is something you need to worry about. Hopefully Avast will get its definitions sorted soon so this doesn't keep coming up as a positive.

3. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I have nothing to say. POst this so Avast support forum. cpuload.dll was compiled by me, there are no viruses at all

4. jrdepriest

jrdepriest New Member

GPU:
    RADEON X1600 PRO / 512MB
    I just sent a note to avast! about the false positive.

If they respond, I will let you know.

5. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Ok.I will wait.

6. birdone

birdone New Member

GPU:
    X1900XT 512
    Hi to all,

I had this alert too, but since the very last update of Avast, the problem is solved, so :

There is not any malicious in Cpuload.dll

7. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    NOD32 and Kaspersky doesn't show no Virus report - Avast is bogus.

8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    So, any news with Avast?

9. birdone

birdone New Member

GPU:
    X1900XT 512
    The problem with Avast was the virus sign database number 648 ...

But yesterday, the database was updated with 649-0, and no more problem.

I have no more infos from this. It was a little scary, but the guys from Avast was very prompt to correct this. Thanks to them.

Oh, and to Ray : A ton of thanks for Ati tray tool !! I'm a new user of an Ati card since two months, and i really enjoy your tool, wich is definitely better than CCC with this Framework ... Thanks again !!