ATI Streaming SDK 2.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Xzibit, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Nice find, thx! ;)

3. kpo6969

kpo6969 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
  4. CoolManiaC

CoolManiaC Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Thanx...

5. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    been waiting for this, thankyou

6. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    Did this one come after starcraft 2 hotfix? I use open cl and i play some starcraft 2 so would be glad to know? :)

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yes, they were released after hotfix :)

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    The SC2 hotfix drivers have a newer version number though and I think both drivers are separate so you get either OpenCL1.1/SKD2.2 support or AA support for Starcraft2 via a profile. (Unsure if it does anything else.)

SC2 stuff will probably be in 10.8, unsure about OpenCL, ATI still only has the runtime stuff via this SDK for example.

9. eMbAh

eMbAh Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Can someone explain to me what this is? Will it benefit me as a gamer?

10. ezimotsuc

ezimotsuc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
    Accelerate your gaming experience with ATI Stream Technology

Great gaming experiences aren't just about detailed and realistic graphics - they require interesting and exciting gameplay as well. Gameplay refers to the ways in which a game responds to the player's choices and actions. ATI Stream allows the GPU to enhance these important aspects of games by accelerating a wide range of algorithms that go beyond graphics rendering, including physics simulation, artificial intelligence and more.

Froblins demo demonstrates how GPGPU computations can be used to enhance gameplay by tapping the powerful parallel processing capabilities of modern GPUs to accelerate Artificial Intelligence algorithms. Artificial Intelligence (or AI) is generally considered to be one of the key components of any computer game, since it controls how all other characters behave and interact with the player. A more sophisticated AI system allows for more interesting and fun gameplay.

In many scenarios, the AI computations include dynamic path finding. This involves simulating a characters’ behavior, and/or running a terrain analysis to identify and update good or valid paths as a result of changing conditions and user input. While there have been tremendous improvements in parallelizing rendering computations through the evolution of consumer GPU architectures, artificial intelligence computations are trailing behind in this regard. To date, there have been few attempts at parallelizing AI computations to take better advantage of the massive processing power of modern PCs.

The Froblins demo uses the GPU to perform pathfinding calculations for thousands of characters in parallel. These calculations are updated many times per second, allowing the characters to start exhibiting emergent behaviors, such as lane formation, queuing, and reactions to other characters. The latest ATI Radeon™ GPUs provide the processing power to perform these tasks while still generating high quality visuals, with advanced features such as tessellation, global illumination, and anti-aliasing enabled.

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    will 10,8 be open cl 1.1 ready?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  12. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    To make a long story short, no, afaik only metro 2033 can utilize OpenCL a bit. There's also a Gamecube/Wii emulator called Dolphin that benefits from it.

13. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Metro 2033 gains up to 10% performance with Stream installed, good stuff.
    Also, you can download spectacular Froblins demo here

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Indeo
    Thank you for the link :)

15. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    I didn't know that. I wonder how this is accomplished, as Metro is an 'TWIMTBP' game. Any info on that?

16. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AFAIK, since Metro engine supports OpenCL, it simply needs a respective runtime to be installed to be able to use it, be it CUDA or Stream SDKs. It doesn't use CUDA or ATi Stream programming language, but applies to general OpenCL instructions through driver, these SDKs are needed to allow execution of general OpenCL operations by video driver.
    In real world it adds something like 1-2 fps in heavy lighting scenes (31 vs 29 fps).
    I apologize for I am somehow tired now, so this might sound inaccurate.

17. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Ah, thank you for that info. It's accurate enough for me.

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    do u know is the 10.8 beta open cl ready, because i am still on 10.5 and my proc is the only device regonized as as open cl device

i got the messasge during install that my video driver does not support open cl 1.1

19. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So far 10.7b is the only driver that supports opencl 1.1. However, you don't need this SDK installed instead of Stream SDK 2.1 if you don't use compliant driver anyway.

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    tnx m8