ATI still Blows

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sproket, Apr 24, 2003.

1. KillaBug

KillaBug Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForceFX 5900U
    Nvidiots? Im sorry that I like my video cards to work when I put them in. I purchased a 9500 Pro to replace my MX440 I had in my old p3, of course the card wouldnt even boot, ATi proceeded to tell me that i needed to put my old card back in, flash my bios, and then try reinstalling. And if that didnt work I would have to contact them again. Needless to say, I returned it the same night I bought it and picked up a Ti 4200. Plugged it in, and had an instant 100fps on CS without changing a single setting, flashing my bios, or contacting any one to help me get it working. (ownage for me at the time as my Celeron 600 was the sux) As far as performing well, performance can suck on reliabilty when you need to call tech support just to try and get the card to work.
    Ya ya, I know what your saying, my setup was old, this that and the other thing. Well, not everyone has the cash to have a tight setup, and not everyone wants to save there spending money (or as in my case, beer money) to build/buy a l337 machine. And not everyone has the knowledge, or wants to learn about it. The average buyer is just a do-it-yourselfer trying to make there compaq or hp a little beter, they dont want to sit on hold with tech support for 1/2 an hour while the guy on the phone goes and asks a real tech what to do.
    My opinion about ATi is based purely on that experience alone, but Im a real cranky prik, and I despise ATi just because I can.
    Find me a non OC'ed system, and a non OC'ed ATi card (since I have no OC) that has beat this. I have not found one, yet.
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=646616

2. Sproket

Sproket Guest

CleavesF

Yes your right 9500+ series does have superior performance in 3dmark 2003 and Im sure in other games.

But I play UT2003 Only and thats all I care about. I must say with my past experiences including the 9500pro the TI4800se aka TI4400 was faster and better which included the desktop images and web browsing.

Not everybody has a successful ATI experience, I did not.
    Thats why Im back with Nvidia now.

3. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    well you shouldn't put down ATi just becuz your experiance wasnt good with them. If a Nvidia card failed on you, would you say Nvidia sucks as well...

4. KillaBug

KillaBug Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForceFX 5900U
    Yep, and then I would have to decide which one failed me worse. :)

5. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    I'll share one thing here --

ATI deliberately LOCKS the 9500 Pro and the 9700 (non-Pro) so that you have to do a damned BIOS flash to be able to overclock. Oh, yeah -- they deliberately add a hexidecimal digit to the BIOS code to keep people from overclocking. Fool me once -- shame on me... fool me twice? Very, very unlikely.

That sucks like an industrial vacuum cleaner, people! I'll use my ATI 9700, and I'll probably find a workaround that entails acceptable risk. But I'll NEVER forgive ATI for this. It stinks of the same kind of thing that made so many of us dislike ATI several years ago. This is my LAST ATI video card, if I can help it....

Come on, nVidia --- pull your "head out", get on the 256 bit memory pipe bandwith, and put those ATI clowns out of business, again!

6. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Perhaps you'll refrain from buying Intel next time? They deliberately lock their processor's multipliers... for shame!

7. Sproket

Sproket Guest

top_gun36

Actually I bought the BFG TI4200 before the 9500pro and I liked it except it did not overclock well and generated to much heat for my watercooling system.

BUT the TI4200 worked fine hardware wise and was actually just as fast as 9500pro.

BTW I used Warp's Bios Hack on the 9500pro to unlock it and it still did not overclock well.

My third card was the charm, Albatron TI4800se 302/633 right now and that baby goes way higher but dont need it to.

Im getting 14,269 in 3dmark and UT2003 plays very fast.

**I just post my findings, not really out to favor one company or another**

Sproket

8. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    GL is right -- Intel sux, too....

...and any IT component manufacturer that decides to do our thinking for us sux, also. I can't overclock my Intel 850 mobo; there are AMD chips you can't OC anymore, etc. But I was able to OC Celeron chips on a BX mobo by almost 50%!

But this thread is about videocards, and although I bought an ATI 9700 I remember with fondness that nVidia never LOCKED its GeForce cards -- none of them. To this day you can take a GeForce 4 4200 and clock it to death if you want to. That's the freedom I miss -- the ability to destroy my own video card any damned way I want to, without meddling from the manufacturer.

The maddening thing is that nowhere in their marketing propaganda does ATI say one bloody word about LOCKING the 9500 Pro and 9700. If they had been upfront and forthcoming about it, then at least the buyer could beware.

Power users buy cards like these -- we know who we are. If we were nondescript hum-drum users, we'd probably have 8 MB cards in our machines and never know the difference. Power users don't need, or want, the manufacturer treating its bleeding-edge customers like idiot children!