ATI Sapphire HD 6850 Problems and Artifacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Azacel, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    Hello everybody... I'm just new here, sorry for my english. I need some help please. I just bought a new PC with the next configuration:

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X6
    Patriot "G Series" Sector 5 8gb (2x4gb dual channel)
    ATI Sapphire HD 6850
    OCZ Vertex II 60gb
    OCZ GameXtreme 700w
    Corsair H70 Cooling System

I'm having troubles with it. I don't know if it is video or ram. I think is video but concerning to PSU. if some one has seen this before and can tell me what it is i would apreciate it.

The best example i have is when i open chrome and run the new addon of angrybirds automaticly video crashes, blue or color vertical lines appear then screen goes black and PC frezze. Is weird becouse i can play Splinter Cell Conviction at AAx16 all setting at high for about an hour and system does not crash, some times it crashed instantly.

This is close picture to the monitor of the video artifact.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I downloaded last ati drivers, last flash player, las chipset driver, not yet update BIOS but i will try that today.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    68 views no one help?

3. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    Does that only happen with angrybirds?

4. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    sorry i just read the splinter cell crash, hmmm i dont really know about this type of artifact, id be glad to help, but maybe someone else here knows about the issue, 2 years ago i had different artifacts on a laptop, but they were way different so i dont really know.

5. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    Last night i ran furmark, prime95 and gpu men test. Taking in mind that my vga crashes in seconds before i ran chrome and angry birds i just ran every test for about 30min, i though that if there is something really defective it would crash instantly in an heavy stress test. But when i finished all test with no crashes i opened again chrome and angry birds, firefox and IE9 loading in every one heavy flash webs, youtube, favorite web awards, and pluf! crashed!. I don't understand, PC does not crash on heavy stress test or heavy gaming settings but it crashes on web browsing. Also i tried installing different versions of ATI drivers, in the mean time, testing and loading windows on safe mode i test web "heavy" if there is "heavy' web browsing and computer did not crashed. Also i tested "heavy" web browsing without no vga driver installed, only de generics that windows install, so there is no high resolutions and no aereo, etc, and i did not have crashes. I'll run tonight memtest for RAM and try to update motherboard BIOS. I am really frustrated with this random crashes.

6. Dan011093

Dan011093 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 5870/5850 CF
    ok so let me see if i understand, the ONLY thing that makes your computer crash is WEB BROWSING with ati catalyst? has you card crashed while gaming or testing? if it ONLY crashes when browsing the web and that stuff then its a driver related problem. if it was faulty it should crash with all that testing bro.

try this, download Who Crashed, and run the angry birds thing, so the system crashes, (it should send a BSOD message, even if u dont see it) then open Who Crashed and read what it says, when its a driver related crash, the application will tell you so itd be good if you do that, but i think that if it only crashes with the browser then its some weird software bug.

7. Weiji

Weiji Active Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850 1gb 1680x1050
    Do you still have problems using a different browser? Could also rule out memory running memtest or running 1 stick of ram at a time.

Have any kind of warranty on the PC?

8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Maybe your GPU its not fully stable @ 2D voltage/clocks, but yes on 3D (instant crash on splinter cell could be that i crashes before it goes 3D mode).

Try forcing 3D mode using unofficialoverclocking @ msi afterburner.

But yeah, could be RMA reason.

9. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    I tested running 1 stick of ram at a time and same crashes happened. I'll try to mess up a little with catalyst to find a configuration of clocks and mhz looking for stability. I didnt touch any before, it may be in automatic so catalyst maybe is pushing some way around when it needed and crashes de video. But i dont understand why it passes furmark without artifacts and them crashes in something else =/ is really frustrating...

10. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti Gaming X
    hello,

I have just returned from the land of hell that you are in, I experienced exactly the same thing for 3 days and 2 windows installs. and then I found the answer, you can blame the comptetion literally, the INTEL LAN DRIVER.... the asus forum was ablaze with people in our situation..

dont use the one on the disk you get from asus MB..

this is the driver that made me happy Im glad to pass on the joy !!!!!

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20101130065824793&board_id=1&model=Crosshair+IV+Extreme&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Hope this works for you good luck..

Regards

Deck. :)

11. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    THANK YOU! i will test that driver at night when i get home.

I notice that the driver is for "EXTREME" version of that motherboard, mine is "FORMULA" version with Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller... :wanker:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  12. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti Gaming X
    ah nooooo, sorry I thought they would have the same LAN , my bad :(

13. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    Well no prob bro, i'll try latest lan and audio drivers for my mobo, error seems same to yours and others with "Extreme" version, but mine is "Formula".

14. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    Nope i updated lan and audio drivers and still have crashes...

15. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti Gaming X
    have you tried asus support tickets ?

16. Azacel

Azacel New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 6850
    Sorry, what is that?

17. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Um have you turned off any AA an AF and morphological filtering in your settings?

18. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Striped screen problem...I recall someone saying that if you change your Windows power settings to High Performance it fixes it..worth a try.

19. sparvy

sparvy New Member

GPU:
    Asus 6850 direct cu cfx
    Same board here with firmware 1304 and 2x asus hd6580 in cfx with latest drivers no problem!!!.

20. Jonup

Jonup Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Azacel, are you running stock clocks? I have a similar config and it would only crash eventually while playing Dirt2. It was fully stable under stress testing (furmark, linx, memtest). I turned down my CPU OC by 100MHz and it went away. If you have overclocked the sys turn it down and try again. Sometimes all the components might seem stable but you might need to back off just a little bit.