ATI RV770 to have 900 stream processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2009.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Eh, I don't see why ATI counts stream processors differently from Nvidia...Get's kind of confusing, and really misleading.

2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Or the other way around.

3. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Source: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=105490

So according to this, it's highly possible. Even sounds logical.
    But even if you could activate them, they obviously wouldn't grant any extra shader performance... You'd only gain anything in GPGPU-calculations or similar situations.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Did anyone ever consider the possibility that nVidia is the one stating wrong numbers to make their cards look better than they really are? Performance of the GTX260 from 216 SPs is a lot more impressive, than saying there are 1000 SP's. No way of actually proving which one is counting right.....shader processors weren't exactly industry standard then they started...so, both companies are free to organize and count shaders how they see fit and nobody can really say who is actually counting right. Seems mostly nVidia fanboys are the only ones that really have a problem with it. There may in fact be 900 SP's on the RV770, with 100 disabled for reasons of intended grouping....or in the case of faulty shaders. Only AMD/ATI really knows.

5. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nod @ sykozis...

But one must assume that atleast half of this site is full of nVidia fanboys (not counting regular people with nVidia cards who just take what's best at the time) - I believe it's due to nVidia having been in the lead of sales during the GeForce 8-series, which lasted quite a while :)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well - Nvidia coined the term stream processor based off one of their scalar processors. ATi then released the 2900XT months later also calling their implementation of scalar processor stream processor.

Before anyone really knew the difference between the two architectures most sites were saying that ATi's 2900XT was going to literally destroy Nvidia because they had more stream processors. I remember the Inquirer specifically releasing pre-launch benchmarks which showed the 2900XT 40-60% faster then the 8800GTX. Then dailytech did their own testing a few weeks later and showed the 2900XT 40-60% SLOWER then the 8800GTX - most people at that point said dailytech faked the review because "it was impossible for a card with more stream processors to be slower." Of course we all know that dailytech was actually accurate - even the 1GB beast that ATi launched didn't even come close to a 8800GTX. I think after that it left a sour tastes in peoples mouths vs the way ATI named their processors.

Those were good times and a reminder to why I never trust anything the inquirer says because they literally make stuff up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    But the big question is the following: In case you arrive at the conclusion that my video card "has" more hidden power, how to unlock that in a safe way? This is the core of all the fuss here.

If there is no way, our bad luck!!!

8. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    LOL "ATI RV770 to have 900 stream processors" still wont help them. Nvidia sp's are far more better and they dont need 10000000000000 of them cos of higher clocks. Just ROFL at AMD.

9. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead

:bang::bang::bang: replies like this could start a flame war , remember that ati/amd supprised nvidia with the 4870 and as a result they revamped the gtx260 :3eyes:

10. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    But its true, I just LOL at them. Dont tell me that they can fully use all 800sp's that are in 4870. They cant fully use them all and they still add more, what a bs is that.They suck.
    Edit: They should optimize their drivers for games, have 3470 in laptop, and drivers are just horrible for everything. They're pissing me off from the 1st time I saw them "install".

11. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    And we all LOL at you for your silly posts.

If you have nothing constructive to say then leave IMO.

12. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    have you owned a 4800 series card ? , this is only the second ati card i have owned . always had nvidia before and changed this time around because of the price/performance . never had a card like it before :)

13. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    No, Im not that crazy to do that.
    Why dont you stop defending your buy and answer this: Dont tell me that they can fully use all 800sp's that are in 4870. They cant fully use them all and they still add more, what a bs is that?

14. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol , i am not defending anybody .

15. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    still dodging the question...ati's +100sp's wont do anything cos theyre useless, they think quantity=quality

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    :no:

[​IMG]

17. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    stating the obvious and asking a question that everyone is dodging is trolling? sure

18. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    one of the main points why ATi sticks with the architecture is simply because it's cheap, so while it may seem absurd that they're throwing 800 stream processors or more in to make up for the flaw in the architecture, the card itself will still be cheap thanks to the lower costs. Therefore you get a nice price/performance ratio which we see with the 4800 cards.

19. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    You're obviously high on the trolling agenda and have 0% facts to prove your diatribes...what, you on Nvidia's payroll or something? :stewpid:

20. zdrapetr

zdrapetr Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 260 55nm
    as you can clearly see here, only guys with 4870 cards are dodging the question while some guy with nvidia can normally answer, I dont need to backup my points with facts, Im just seeing here fanboys that dont understand what the point here is, its why add more of something thats useless and give you like 2% boost and then release it as a new card