ATI Radeon - Slower than old card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Midmichman, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Midmichman

Midmichman Guest

I have, admittedly, an 'old' system, EPOX MB with AMD K6-2 500mhz processor, 128mb ram, and used to have a Voodoo 3000 video card with 16mb ram, AGP. I am upgrading in the near future but am puzzled by the lack of performance of the new ATI Radeon VE 32mb DDR AGP video card I put in. I thought it would pick up the frame rate a little in some games I play (Nascar Heat the main one), but the opposite happened; frame rates now suck and the game crashes (reloaded it from scratch to insure it didn't think the Voodoo was still there). Plus, I tried some other games that ran fine with the Voodoo but now they are not even playable with the Radeon. Also, when I go to Direct X (I have 8.0) the AGP texture test button is grayed out, like I don't have an AGP card, which I do. It was like that with the Voodoo but I know they are not true AGP cards. My MB has a VIA chipset and I downloaded and installed the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers. Have latest Radeon drivers installed to. Just wondering what is going on and how to maybe solve it.

2. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

did you say you re-formatted?<br>
    i'd go to add/remove programs and see if the voodoo drivers are still listed in there.<br>
    does your motherboard support agp4x?if if so and you have it set at 4x, i'd knock it down to 2x.<br>
    <br>
    i think i'll move this to the ATI section though.<br>

3. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

Hrm, Like Weazel said sounds like some old 3dfx drivers. FYI the ati will work okay with your k62, but the voodoo will work best. I found that anyway. The best solution is to format c: when shoveing in a new card, but if ya can't make sure you got all the old drivers out.

4. Midmichman

Midmichman Guest

I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled WIN98. Computer is much faster now, must have had some things bogging it down. I reinstalled Nascar Heat, plus the patches, and played the game okay but it still crashed on me, and seemed to be whenever the menu screens change. But, things are looking up! <br>
    <br>
    BTW, my motherboard is an EPOX MVP3G2 with AGP but I don't see any way to alter the AGP speed. In the bios it only has an option to change the aperture, which I have set at 64mb. I wondered about the speed of the card versus the speed of the AGP slot but I am sure my AGP slot is only 1 or 2X. Card is capable of 4X. Since this game uses D3D, I wonder if Direct X (I have 8.0) is the problem.

5. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Midmichman:<br>
    <b>I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled WIN98. Computer is much faster now, must have had some things bogging it down. I reinstalled Nascar Heat, plus the patches, and played the game okay but it still crashed on me, and seemed to be whenever the menu screens change. But, things are looking up! <br>
    BTW, my motherboard is an EPOX MVP3G2 with AGP but I don't see any way to alter the AGP speed. In the bios it only has an option to change the aperture, which I have set at 64mb. I wondered about the speed of the card versus the speed of the AGP slot but I am sure my AGP slot is only 1 or 2X. Card is capable of 4X. Since this game uses D3D, I wonder if Direct X (I have 8.0) is the problem.</b><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><br>
    no that problem sounds familiar about the menu screen....did you check the games forum here?

6. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

Make sure you got the latest 4 in 1's

7. o1die

o1die Guest

I HAVE AN ATI RADEON LE VALUE CARD, AND IT NORMALLY RUNS AT 148 MEGAHURTZ. WITH A PROGRAM CALLED POWERSTRIP, I CAN RUN IT AS HIGH AS 200 WITH NO PROBLEMS. THIS SHAREWARE PROGRAM ALSO WORKS WITH OTHER VIDEO CARDS. I FOUND IT AT THE ANANDTECH WEBSITE UNDER ATI RADEON LE. THIS MAY BE OLD NEWS TO OTHER READERS AT THIS WEBSITE.

8. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    Well, I got a Radeon, and its working fine, but VE cards gernerally suck. LE or DDR retail versions (32meg and 64meg) are much better. In pricewatch.com, I found VE cards as much as LE cards anyways. OC the LE card, and you got something pretty damn close to a retail Radeon 32meg.<br>
    <br>
    Mugs and Smugs