ATI Radeon HD 5870 review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 23, 2009.

1. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    The same with my 2 4890's.
    (ofcourse I can't say for the once-in-a-while hardware insanity doesn't force me to buy 1 or 2 new 5850's) :D

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Once the drivers are fully matured, this thing will be a beast that cant be stopped until the Gt3XX or whatever you call it comes around. When the 5870X2 comes along, forget it, ati has one this time.

3. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
  4. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ATI will be winning with the 5870X2 right until the GT395 or whatever comes out lol. But by then it'll probably be nearly time for a new gen anyway :wanker:

5. mink

mink Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    I think most of the "disappointed" comments stem from the hype that led up to it. I was almost expecting untrue bars shooting off the graph! :)
    But as said, it's defo a killer card matching and beating x2 cards, and to top it off with the price it's come in at compared to Nvidia's makes it a fantastic card.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Really looking into the new at card, But I think I am going to hold off for a lil bit until the drivers gets matured.

I know when I had the 2900xt 1gb version, the drivers were hold that card back bad, one driver sucked ass with oblivion then another driver comes out later on that spanks the 8800gtx by double. Drivers were holding back that card prettie bad.

Anyone been using 2900xt to see how much it has been improved? I dont think anyone here owns such a card now lol.

I am going to hold off a lil bit, maybe price will come down a bit. Everyone is after this card anyways so its going to be hard to get in the beginning.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok off topic here, who has the best ati warranty in here? Like evga's lifetime warranty, can change the heatsink, overclock, and still can be covered under warranty? If I was going to go with this card, which brand should I go that provides the best overall warranty?

8. Schnerf

Schnerf Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1gb
    I'm also one of the majority whos pretty dissappointed about this cards performance, but for the price it's definatly worth it, as a 285 almost costs the same. That being said, can't really say we expected "too much" before nVidia puts their cards on the table. I'm not saying this because I'm a fanboy, I always get hardware that's the better part, but if the X2 version of the 5870 doesn't blow our faces to the ground, I see a grim future for ATI once nVidia shows their product.

Also, most of the roumors say that the next gen Nvidia cards are scheduled to release the Q1 of next year, but I don't get how that could be true. I mean, nVidia would have to be pretty retarded to let ATI run monopoly during the heaviest holiday season. So I expect to see a lot from the green team starting october / november. Don't spend your money and regret it heavily in two months.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  9. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Great review as usual but I was expecting alot more only 10fps more than a 285 & less than the previous gen dual gpu cards in s lot of cases but I supose all the tests mean nothing until properly tested with Dx11 & some Dx11 games.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I can understand that under 2560X1600 resolution requires tons of horsepower. Was I expecting more from this card? YES, but like I said wait until the drivers improve themselves overtime and ATI will be king until something new comes along.

I am not very disappointed with the cards performance like the previous user has said however I was expecting a lil more but like I said before once the drivers are on the roll, this thing is going to be a beast.

11. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
  12. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    really wasnt all that n how can guru3d call it king of the world lol r they tring to sell the card for ati lol.. Hopful like u say dx11 diff story if not thats a damn shame.. Good upgrade if u have a low end to mid end card .. Ouch wasnt that impressed.. mayb driver update n fixes will help out lol

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Off topic again here folks, give me your opinon, should I setup to a gtx 285 for 174+ dollars or go with this card once the drivers gets matured and the price has fallen down a bit? You all think its worth stepping up to 285 from what I got? at 174+ dollars? Opinons please.

People are like why dont you go sli, well I went with single gpu solution this time around.

Shoot another gtx 216 cost less then 200 dollars, I would have alot more performance then stepping up to a gtx 285. Still I want opinion please. If some of you say ati then what brand offers the BEST warranty?

14. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    mmm, i suppose one reason why most people are disappointed with the 5870 is because it didn't live up to the leaked benchmarks that kylzer posted (if they saw those benchmarks). However, i do notice from that techpowerup review that the 5850 does live up to those benchmarks, seeing as it trounces the GTX285 in nearly all situations.

15. sfkilla

sfkilla Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    What about benchmark between Eyefinity and TripleHeadToGo?

What about a benchmark between Eyefinity and TripleHeadToGo?

I always liked the reviews from Hilbert Hagedoorn, probably because we are neighbours after all (netherlands-belgium).
    I was wondering if you guys could compare the framerate between a tripleheadtogo solution and the 5870 when gaming on a triple LCD solution?

Thanks again for the reviews.

16. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX6800M
  17. mink

mink Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850
  18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol, my thoughts exactly. Man, this card is twice as fast as a 4870 and thats just awesome. !!

BTW, this is so far one if the best reviews out there.

19. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    Good review Hilbert!!! I always get a lot out of your reviews and learn a lot. I appreciate the time you take to make these reviews for us!

I think I will be holding on to my GTX 260 a little while longer since I am not a serious gamer. ATI has produced a great card for the price! What people are missing here is that this single GPU solution is performing at of above a GTX 295 double GPU solution. So in my eyes, technology is moving quite well. People seem to be caught up in benchmarks, but look at the performance you get out of a single GPU solution now. It may not be blowing the charts off of gaming FPS, but if a single GPU increases it by a few over a double GPU solution, then that is a massive improvement....I don't care who you are!! People here expect to blow the doors off of their games with every new GPU, but always miss the move in technology.

Just think, ATI 5870 single GPU is keeping up with a GTX 295 double GPU card........ That's a big move!

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I bit of disappointed although no doubt it's the best single PCB card i ever seen, but i heard the rumors about the performance which were untrue, but as always the drivers can even increase the lead.

One thing i worried about, will the HD4800 series users be treated as class B or will the support remains the same?