ATI radeon 9800Pro Vs. nVIDIA geforce fx 5900

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Unrealer, May 18, 2003.

?

ATi vs nVIDIA once again

Poll closed Jun 17, 2003.
  1. ATI radeon 9800Pro

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. nVIDIA Geforce FX 5900

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. serAph

serAph Guest

geeeeez dude - that was spyross' anti-flood code. It had nothing to do with me - I sent you an IRC invite back!!

Anyway, what arent you convinced of? Carmack is favoring nVidia w/ doom3, but nowhere near as much as valve/ati - Doom3 wont be released as a bundle with a 5950 or a 5700 or anything... or at least thats not the plan thus far...

2. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

its a bundle for a promo not a conspiracy.

Do...current videocards not come with games?

Ya they do.

I'm actually thinking maybe it's not the full game. It wouldn't surprise me if it's either the benchmark/demo or a playble demo like E3's techdemo only playable.

3. serAph

serAph Guest

nobody said conspiracy.

4. fallenx

fallenx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    The rumours I've heard is that its a special HL2 Prequel. Basically a custom (single player only) game that shows the events leading up to HL2.

5. Kaizen

Kaizen Banned

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT @ 410/1.12
    HL2 bundle:

I can see it now, boy buys 9800 and Hl2 bundle from Best buy. Goes back next day:

Boy: (acting ignorant) "yeah, um, I called the ATI tech support and they told me I need APG slot on my fatherboard....and my hard drive doesnt have one so I need to return this"

best buy clerk: "ok.....do you have your reciept?

Boy: yes, here.

clerk: ok, since this was $500, were gonna have to send you a check. sorry.

Boy: oh its ok, I dont mind.

Boy mumbles, "sucker" , as he casualy walks away from clerk and exists.

Boy goes home and puts Hl2 on kazaa, edonkey, irc, etc.......nobody buy Hl2, valve makes no money, decides to trash HL-3. :(

6. Good post.

LOL, I've been rolling around on the floor for the last few minutes. That is very funny, and frighteningly possible.

7. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    That's just wrong......Funny as hell, but still wrong. Fatherboard?! LOL

8. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

NNaaaahh.. that wont be a problem... HL2 will have MP wont it ?!
    I only get .ISO or .BIN 's of singleplayer games...
    Multiplayer games are the best selling... its very rarer to see singleplayer games succed!

9. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    True, Look at Unreal 2

10. serAph

serAph Guest

unreal 2 didnt do well??

11. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    no offense...but y have u got it in for valve and ati...its sooo clear that nvidia ) dont make the better product, lol, u've seen how much hl2 is optimised for nvidia...but nooooo, scream rape agen :rolleyes: . Why wont doom 3 be optmised for ati cards then!? Just cause carmack favours nvidia, well putting that into the equation...one can say valve favours ati, but is it right/proved...?

(btw its just a heated debate, i still love u man :cool: :p )

12. serAph

serAph Guest

ati does make a better card. What are we debating about? Ive agreed with a lot of what you're saying - and you keep telling me Im not agreeing!! :giggle2:

Carmack favors nVidia b/c a.) nVidia is where the money is - they hold the largest cunk of market share - and he'd be STUPID to release a game that runs as pathetically as HL2 does on video cards that 60+% of the market uses, and b.) because ATi screwed him over with the leaked Doom3 alpha - or so he thinks....

Yes Valve favours ATi . Its proven. lol

Doom3 wont be optimized for ATi cards because ATi uses alllll standard codepaths. ATi has no special optimizations... or at least any that have hit mainstream yet. Plus, one of ATi's lead programmers was the guy who programmed DirectX 8 and 9. They dont program for OpenGL well at ALL which explains why there arent ATi specific technologies to be programmed for like nVidia since they cant be done in DirectX. OpenGL is open source and can thus nVidia uses it for its "sepcial optimizations" like CineFX and ultrashadow and such.

Hehe - in a way, supporting ATi is supporting Micro$oft.

13. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Nope. It has the eye candy, but it was lacking a lot. Multi play was one of them

14. serAph

serAph Guest

indeeeed.

it was a cool game IMO tho! Just a tad short!

15. Grov

Grov Guest

U2 is gonna suck no matter how you play it.:)

16. serAph

serAph Guest

its already out and you obviously havent played it. Its friggen AWESOME. Just short! Well, its not too short, but you get soooo addicted to it that you can easily beat it in four... looong.... sittings.

17. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Yep, it's a good short game.

18. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

U2:A is cool game... graphics are dope but.... WHY IN THE HELL THEY DIDNT MAKE AN MULTIPLAYER OF IT! :realmad:

19. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Word! and make the girl playable.

20. serAph

serAph Guest

i liked its physics too. With the "ragdoll" slider in the options :)