ATI radeon 9800Pro Vs. nVIDIA geforce fx 5900

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Unrealer, May 18, 2003.

?

ATi vs nVIDIA once again

Poll closed Jun 17, 2003.
  1. ATI radeon 9800Pro

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. nVIDIA Geforce FX 5900

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Unrealer

Unrealer Guest

¿which is better for you?

2. vasot

vasot Guest

Man
    didn't you know that treads like these start flames....

Anyway i have to say if i had the choice to buy a 5900 ultra.I say i would prefer these from the 9800pro..
    I know the difference in performance from 9800pro and 5900 ultra ultra is not big at all but i guess still i would go for a 5900 ultra series
    But if only had a reasonable price and not 800 Euros that is going to sell here in Europe as a i here...That's a outrageous Price tag for a card

3. Grov

Grov Guest

Gimmie the 9800Pro anyday.

4. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    same ere, they make the best drivers, and and not 70 different drivers, which have 2 be gon thru and picked 2 c if they work! :) (he says starting another flame!!:chainsaw: )

5. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    :flip: Nvidia!
    :flip2: Ati!

As of right now both companies suck! This is the first time in a long time hardware is taking a backseat to software.

2 VooDoo 2's running is SLI was real gaming! :rock:

On top of that.....The VooDoo 2 had a very nice life cycle, unlike so called high powered cards of today!

Yeah I said it!!!!!

Let the war begin!:arnie:

6. [SHS.Donny]

[SHS.Donny] Guest

The 5900 ultra is better but I don't think it is in production yet. Both stupidly expensive and unnecessarily powerful though. Bring back the days when everyone had a Voodoo3!

7. Neal

Neal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Ti4200 128mb
    the geforce fx 5900 is stupidly over priced for a card that has to cheat its way thru benchmarks and then say "oh but, its the way its meant to b played," nvidia tried to delay technology for their own benefit, then ati took advantage of that, and made them a laffing stock...hair dryer, leaf blower...HA! Die nvida...burn in hell, u and all ur 100,000 drivers that dont even do nothing!

!:heh:

8. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    :eek2: I know all of you have seen the size of the 5900 Ultra! That thing is bigger than both of my feet and I wear a size 14 shoe!!! It reminds me of the ill fated VooDoo 6 that was never released. Nvidia claims its going to lose an inch when it is released but we'll see. Darn thing looks like an ISA slot modem from the late 80's!:stewpid:

The flip side of this coin is good old ATI! Congratulations! You are now the proud inventors of a 256 meg product that has yet shown how the extra memory benefits the user!:flame: You also slap a $500.00 price tag on this thing!:flame:

So as far as I'm concerned......

Nvidia!:peeleft: :peeright:ATI!

9. god4sure

god4sure Elite Trini Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX / X300
    Still, I would go for the 5900 rather than the 9800 pro, if speed and stability are the main factors. If one considers quality and all round performance, the 9800 pro may just get the edge. Let's be serious guys. New motherboards now come with lan onboard, sound onboard, Firewire , 6-8 usb, 5-6 PCI slots. ......who really cares if the 5900 ultra makes you lose a couple of slots. One can still put in your soundblaster, modem, TV/FM card and still be comfortable. Unless you have an old system, the size of the 5900 is irrelevant, and if you have an old system, then why are you installing than card anyway.

10. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    I'm shocked! This thread is kinda dead! No fanboys or fangirls posting.

11. vasot

vasot Guest

Except you and me :p

12. Unrealer

Unrealer Guest

¿do you own an old 3dfx card?
    i do own a voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16mb:D :rolleyes:
    FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!:cussing:

13. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    After the VooDoo 2, 3DFX went to the crapper.:crapper: Playing games in 16 Bit color just wasn't cool anymore and framerate wasn't everything. That's pretty much when Nvidia unleashed their TNT2 series. Those were cool cards that were very fast for their time.

Hey wait a minute!!!! Nvidia is the reason we have the fast release nonsense!:cussing: TNT2, TNT2 Ultra, GeForce SDR, GeForce DDR, Geforce2 and so on and so on! They really got the ball rolling with this bull$#!+!!!!

And of course ATI had to jump in and bite Nvidia's booty!:booty: The only problem with that was this fact, they sucked!

:rolleyes: Crap drivers!
    :rolleyes: Compatibility problems!
    :rolleyes: The famous "Tearing Textures"!

I'm not a fanboy! Screw them both! :evilgrin:

MATROX MAN! MATROX! :rock:

14. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    WHOA!!!! I just noticed something.

I AM NOW A MASTER GURU!!!! :bigsmile:

When is the next upgrade?

15. the_n00b

the_n00b Guest

voodoo3 kicked a$$, still have it somewhere......
    nvidia was good...
    but ATi rulez now, especially since i can play my games on my 32" tv

16. vasot

vasot Guest

The topic is about Nv35 Vs R350 and not about voodoo 3 and old tech :rolleyes:

17. vasot

vasot Guest

It is clear the the NV35 will be the Faster but

-With a Big price

-With only little difference in performance (20%) from 9800pro as i saw with drivers 43.48 and Catal 3.2 tests (i think)

Of course not worth the money to buy it if you have a 5800 ultra\9800pro\9700pro

-It will surpassed little later from the R360 or litlle later(Winter) from R400 so there is no big Deal with these New Nvidia card beeing the faster for long time and for all these money.....

18. Grov

Grov Guest

I still don't like the pipelines on it, and the pixel and verter shaders aren't what they should be.

19. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Hey you knw what i'm seeing......?

The 5900 Ultra wooping the 9800 Pro's a*s at DooM3.

Now that's without the 3.4 CAT's and on a prerelease version of D3...mind you it's in better running shape that the alpha we saw a while back. And i'm sure nVidia got a jump start for optimizations since ATi leaked that DooM3 alpha.

But for now i'm with nVidia. Glad they lost the leaf blower. To bad they lost the DDR2.

20. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    Thanks! I needed this! This thread had some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while -- and nearly all of it was TRUE!

And I couldn't help but remember my own Voodoo 3 3000 fondly. That little 16 MB card took me through some of the most fascinating, wonderful gaming experiences I ever had.

Now I find I spend more time bit***ng about company-locked video cards, being disappointed with $40 games that you can play in about 5 hours, and observing people who get infuriated with each other because they won't tolerate a differing opinion. I hope that when 64-bit computers/software/apps become mainstream for the masses that the "magic" will really return.