ATI owners who switched over

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bluedog, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Just curious as to how many decided to go with the nVidia 6800 series. Seems there have really been a lot of these cards sold to date.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    A lot of them came for the 6800GT over the X800Pro

3. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    deleted

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  4. xtatdsm

xtatdsm Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ok let's put it this way, my first VGA card ever was Nvidia, lasted like a year or so, then I went for ATI, lasted for a day, then back to Nvidia for 3 months, then another nvida for a year and half, then ATI (9800pro), for a month, and finally Nvida (6800 ultra)

I have always been in love with Nvidia, it has something to do with its rich colors, TV out and Control panal, the ATI coloring always looked pale to me, I know not everyone will agree with me, but I feel Nvidia colors are just rich.

5. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660ti
    Well I switched from a 9800pro to a 6800gt and am very happy with this video card. I am loyal to no one when it comes to computer hardware and just go for the product that is better price/performance at the time.

Guess I need to edit my sig huh:leave: :look:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  6. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    I think ATI loyalists never owned a Geforce 4 ;p

7. RoJo

RoJo Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    I owned both Ati and Nvidia in the past, but now I'm back with Nvidia.

I couldn't really see much in performance between the two this time around, plus I couldn't get my hands on an X800 XT, for love nor money.

And sm3 swung it for me this round.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I was going to go with an X800XT, but availability is very low here and the SM3 support, Nvidia had me.. and then the Doom 3 benchmarks where released, that closed the deal for me.

Also i noticed that there was a nice improvement in SM 2.0 and AA / AF performance for the 6800 cards with the latest drivers. As opposed to the earlier benchmarks with earlier drivers, where the AA / AF and SM 2.0 performance of the 6800 was below the X800.

Now both 6800 and X800 cards are about equal when it comes to AA / AF and SM 2.0, and then there is the great OpenGL and the added bonus of SM 3.0 that the 6800 have. The Choice is simple this time around.

I had a 9800 pro before this card and it was a very very good card, and i think ATI are still equally as good as Nvidia, they just made a few poor decisions with their current line up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  9. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Im guessing u mean SM 3 and not 2 ? :p

10. ReBeL

ReBeL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Welp, my video card history:

S3 Savage 4
    nVidia GeForce 256
    nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4400
    ATi Radeon 9700 PRO
    nVidia GeForce 6800 GT

I made the switch from ATi back to nVidia just because I felt it was the best value available at the time. I had originally planned to get the X800 XT PE but after a couple of pre-order fiascos I finally gave up on it.

Then I decided to get a 6800 GT because the performance / price ratio is just unmatched. Over-all it doesn't beat the X800 Pro by much, but I really liked that it was a 16 pipe card with SM 3.0 support. I'm not sure how I really feel about SM 3.0 being a huge deal, but it's nice to know now that I have support for it if I need it.

Digital Vibrance is a feature that I'm extremely happy to have back. Makes colors so much more vivid and bright. I wish ATi would do something similiar.

As far as to why I didn't get a 6800 Ultra......I didn't really like the two-molex connector requirement or the fact that it takes up a PCI slot. Most importanly, I don't think the performance advantage over the GT model is worth $100 extra. That said, I'm still thinking I may take advantage of the eVga "step-up" program and possibly upgrade to a 6800 Ultra Extreme within three months. By then I'll have more money to spend and I'll be willing to pay for performance increase if it is substantial over my GT. If it is that much faster in games then I'll be willing to deal with the power requirements and the PCI slot being taken away.

Of course, that all only depends on whether the eVga Geforce 6800 UE's actually come out within the next three months.

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Crashy,

Nope i mean 2.0 where i've mentioned it.

12. Soilwork

Soilwork Master Guru

GPU:
    Legend 8800GTS 640MB
    I just got a 6800nu instead of a 9800xt. I had a ti4200 and a 9800pro in the past. I like ATI very much and Nvidia is really good as well. I'm really happy with this 6800 though. It was the best priced card I could buy, over R1000 cheaper than an x800pro, which is what I really wanted, but I'm still really happy

13. peacetilence

peacetilence Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 512 620/1.83
    I made the leap from a 9500 pro to the 6800GT. Pretty huge leap but I must admit the 9500 pro was a great investment when I bought it almost 2 years ago. I can't be happier with my Nvidia purchase though. Everything is just so much better than what I had with ATI. The options in driver settings, TV-Out, application profiles, and everything else is just leaps and bounds beyond ATI's drivers and settings.

14. omniscientist

omniscientist Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 GT w/ Modified +.1v BIOS
    lemme just say that 3dfx Voodoo owns all of you....

well seriously that was my first card and i loved it lol

i like nvidia more than ati. BUT, whenever a new new card is coming out and i want to buy, i will study both cards very much so. i am not idiotic enough to just buy nvidia even if they release a card with actual pieces of **** on the card.

i know im going to get flamed for this, but it seems that there's a higher percentage of immature 31337 idiots who use ATi cards than nvidia, I have no idea WHY, I'm just saying...i just check the two forums and in ati forums i see alot of idiocy and rudeness...and...well...I love everybody ok? not saying if you own an ati card your an idiot, it just seems like alot of your peers are :)

15. andy_nv

andy_nv Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6800 @400/900
    Don't really care who makes my card as long as it's worth performance/price wise.
    Sarting 1998 (year I was born into the desktop PC world) I've owned an Acorp Intel 740 8mb, Matrox G400 32mb Dual Head, Hercules Kyro II 64mb, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti200 128mb, Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb and now I just got a Leadtek 6800 nu 128mb.
    So I've been from nVidia to ATI and back to nVidia on my last three purcheses. I can say that I liked my 9700 Pro and playing with high AA and AF settings, drivers were stable, still, I was pissed at the OpenGL performance in some games especially with shadows turned on.
    Right now I'm a happy camper with my 6800 nu as it plays all games out there with high settings, including Doom 3 and Far Cry.

Next card myabe it's ATI again, or I'll stay with nVidia or maybe Matrox and PowerVR will get something good out (that'll be the day :D).

16. chungdy

chungdy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX8800 GTS 320MB
    If not because of the price.... i had a ATi card long ago

17. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    Been back and fourth aswell... from matrox milleniums to voodoos to geforce to rage to radeon to the 6800gt... and some generics inbetween.

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    My vid cards went as follows:

Voodoo 2
    Nvidia TnT 2
    Geforce 3 Ti200
    Hercules 9700pro
    Saphire 9800pro (cos the 9700 met with an unfortunate accident!)
    and I have now made the switch to GT.

Before I saw the numbers i was quite happy to go with ATI again, as both my 9700 and 9800pro's were great and I loved them. But the GT is by far the best performance vs price option out of all the new cards. I had a big debate first between x800pro/XT then x800XT/6800Ultra and then switched to 6800GT when I saw that the difference was pretty insignificant and it saved me £100 which I put towards other things.
    Im so pleased i did cos I LOVE this card, its soooo damn fast, and works really well in my rig. Nvidia certainly got it right this time around!

19. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I think that ATI kinda hurt themselves by not have the 800XT available for the demand. I seriously considered getting one of the XT's but after seeing how the supply was not being met decided to stick with nVidia like I have in the past.

20. Soilwork

Soilwork Master Guru

GPU:
    Legend 8800GTS 640MB
    after playing around with some games i still think ATI's antialiasing is way better than nvidias