ATI + Nvidia PhysX configurations are banned with newest drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by applejack, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, because Sony paid all that money for the exclusive content on the PS3, but left out the PhysX stuff cause even though the PS3 could do it easy, they knew PS3 owners wouldn't want better graphics.

Nvidia may sometimes be able to outbid ATI/AMD, but never Sony.

2. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    This will certainly interfere with the networking code of the game when it comes to multi-player modes. And lots of the shiny new games with pretty graphics already has a terrible networking code.
    And how the bullet react (pass thru or whatever) is part of the gameplay design.

Having physics introduced to games to improve gameplay is a nice idea on paper. But as long they don't come with a real open standard on this. It's not going be widely adopted as you need all of your audiences able to support it, hardware wise.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As above, i also think adding physics to improve gameplay is a bad thing, with eye candy physics, you can turn it off, or turn it down.

If its essential to the game, it has to stay on, even if that could mean the game not running, or being unplayably slow.

DX11 only physics for example that AMD were discussing.
    Any such game wouldn't work on a DX10 card, or maybe budget DX11 cards come out, and you can play it, but on those cards the FPS is in single figures.

Anyone going along with the idea it should effect gameplay, haven't thought it through.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    and here i was thinking u were in love with nvidia and physx! :)

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm in love with physics effects in games, adds alot of depth and realism, but still think we are year away from gameplay physics in games, consoles are more likely to get that before PC, as its not something that is easily scalable.

I only sing the praises of GPU PhysX as there is nothing else out there, and its less a liking of Nvidia and more an annoyance with AMD and how its taken them till Dirt2 to bother working on and market a game.

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    but we can go round full circle if u want :)

how much pressure does nvidia put on developers? are ati's hand's tied?

i wouldnt be so sure to go blaming ati so much. u never heard the saying "history is written by the victors"? nvidia has been winning.

seems like they can spend a lot of money on other ideas lile ambient occlusion/physx/3d stereo glasses...

wheras ati has been spending money on gpu's

u wonder why ati is first to realease dx11 hardware...?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Doesn't matter to me why ATI don't, if Nvidia pay a developer, then ATI should come in with a bigger offer, if Nvidia is winning they must be doing something right.

Wish you would stop saying ambient occlusion was a Nvidia tech that they spent money on, it was just a driver feature that could be forced on in some games, lots of games have it in their ingame graphic options.

No idea how the PhysX thing will end up, but 3D gaming/movies is where things are heading.

No point spending money on a GPU if you have an inferior working relationship with the people who make the games for your GPU, hardware is useless without software.

PC sales for games that aren't MMORPG's or Sims games are pretty poor and pale in comparison compared to the console versions.
    Game developers need incentives to make an effort for PC ports/versions, ATI can't expect to just make a GPU and expect dev's to take full use of it, they won't, they will just port over the 360 code as quick as they can, and be done with it.

For DX11 to succeed, ATI, or even Nvidia need to work with them early on, supporting and paying them to add features to the PC version.
    What they did with Dirt2, but with every big game where it is possible.

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    point is if nvidia come in with more money how can ati compete? it's pretty obvious nvidia come along and say hey i will pay u more money if u include the physx logo and its the way it meant to be played logo...

oh and we'll pay u more if u can implement physx better for nvidia user and not for ati user.

quite frankly i am not into this kind of scam/bullying type attitude. u base your results on your product not on whether u can pay someone more to include logos or effects.

it would be a lot better if they were amazing which they are not. good. but not amazing..

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You mean like ATI paying Codemasters over $1million for Dirt2, they won that one, why not anymore.

Well PhysX is their own tech, so they can do what they want with it, and if the TWIMTBP logo means a much better port, then i'm all for it.

This isn't about ATI v Nvidia, i don't care what they do to each other, i care about PC gaming
    This "build it, and they will come" attitude will ruin PC gaming, unless your happy with paying £300 for a card and getting console ports with some resolution options.

10. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Nvidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program should be called "The Way It's Meant To Be Seen". PhysX is still (mostly) implemented as visual eye-candy and does not affect the actual game-play 1 bit, with the exception of a few games titles (like CellFactor) that actually has physics as part of their game-play design (but this was developed back in the days of Ageia PhysX). Tho admitted the eye-candy can be satisfying for those cashed out to purchase Nvidia hardware with PhysX support.

I care about PC gaming too, maybe too much where i don't even want to play games on the console. Games are meant to be played for their game-play (and replay) value. Not just by how great they looks. Tho great visual quality is nowadays a large factor in getting your average consumer to purchase a game ... or so we were made to believe that great visual equal great game-play. And frankly i don't care whether my GPU is Nvidia made, or AMD/ATI or Intel (Larrabee).
    As for games how they "are meant to be played", this would also include high quality audio devices (for audio positioning) and high quality input devices; see, hear and response. Imagen playing a FPS or MMORPG with only plain audio without HRTF, or playing StreetFighter 4 on the PC on the keyboard instead of a stick, or playing FPS/RTS games with your average office mouse instead of a gaming grade Logitech/Razer/SteelSeries/Microsoft mouse. That isn't exactly how "games are meant to be played".
    But Nvidia for some reason aren't pursuing or promoting those areas of gaming experiences (or at least not to my knowledge, correct me if i'm wrong here).

And if anyone remembers this old article on TH "Is Ageia's PhysX Failing?". A lot has changed since: Nvidia taking over PhysX from Ageia and the first to shell out GPU based physics calculation ... and hardware accelerated physics calculation has been reduced to eye-candy by games developers.
    With Nvidia's current strategy to disable PhysX support in their drivers, even for the owners of Ageia PhysX hardware, if there is a non Nvidia GPU present in the system. Makes me think they are not really trying to improve "the way games are meant to be played", but rather just plain trying to sell their products. By any means. That's the real game being played.

11. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    Well, who cares? I'll show them just how much I hate their strategies by continuing NOT to buy their products.

Also, I have an old 9600GT that I got for free plus my 4870x2 playing nicely with the latest cats (8.660), physx drivers (9.09.0814), and geforce drivers (190.62) thanks to the mod that was posted in another thread. :) No more absurd tricks in trying to get to the nv control panel anymore either.

nVidia, are you listening? You should, because you're losing.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Your totally missing the point.

Nvidia and ATI are video card makers.

Their only purpose is eye candy.

Anything gameplay wise is up to the game developers.

That means that theoretically, every gaming PC in the world will have a Nvidia card in it, sounds like a win for Nvidia, and a bit slap in the face for ATI.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The patch is out that re-enables PhsyX with the latest drivers if anyones interested (its been posted in the thread that the opening poster links to).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  14. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
  15. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X

16. KwameJackson

KwameJackson Guest

GPU:
    They disabled them because they weren'y going to make much profit off their cards if people were stilling buying the old ageia cards. it's all about monney and besides the last gen of ppu's were pcie

17. KwameJackson

KwameJackson Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia for raped. Kids have been mixing, matching, and making their own drivers for years. They should have seen this coming. They are full of BS since i actually have 2x4870x2s and a geforce 9800 in the same pc and i am getting physx working perfectly fine with no glitches and it seems liek everyone else is too.

18. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    As the last part of the mosaic, Official Nvidia position on hybrid ATI+NV PhysX configurations:
    http://physxinfo.com/news/330/official-nvidia-position-on-hybrid-ati-nv-physx-configurations/

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Nvidia are wankers. Thanks to the community and that guy who made the patch we can still do it! :banana::banana:

20. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    I can't say I'd miss them if nVidia went out of business with their bad management and faulty products as of late...