ATI + Nvidia PhysX configurations are banned with newest drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by applejack, Aug 8, 2009.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    PhysX is a useless piece of crap annyway, so i couldn't care less. Can't wait for Havok to take over with OpenCL implimentation of their physics that will squash stupid PhysX and leave it in the dust to rot for eternity.

2. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Actually, the Batman game looses a ton of effects (Banners, Fog) without PhysX, mainly because they interact only with the PhysX engine. In short: The game looks a lot worse without PhysX.

NVIDIA also ported PhysX to all the consoles, so devs are finally starting to use it more and more. Heck, PhysX support is actually higher then DX10 support at this point. And I remind everyone, when they aquired PhysX, NVIDIA offered to help port it to the ATI platform. ATI refused, so don't blame NVIDIA for lack of ATI support.

3. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    It won`t be long before Nvidia decide to make ATI cards incompatible with Nforce M/boards.

4. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    bit dramatic don't you think

5. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi all i have ati +nvidia

all u gota do is install the ati drivers lastest will do, and then install the nvidia 181.71 drivers and then replace the physx with the latest installer versions

no need for the most uptodate nvidia drivers

6. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    You know whats the funny of this? his not only affects Physx, they have disabled CUDA support, SO, if someone got a Tesla card (with it dont have any video out), it cant use it for anything, since the driver will disable the CUDA support if there is a non-cuda primary, and this include GF6x and GF7x cards...

7. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    No it don't. My quad core is far from maxed out in that game too, so If you're telling that it can't do a few flapping flags and bits of paper then you are quite frankly nuts. Its all marketing bull.

Killzone 2 has better smoke effects and its on a damn console.

All physx has been from the start is the odd flapping flag or so in a game and until everybody supports it thats all it will be. Its dead, the first guy to produce an open physics standard wins period.

8. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ^^ Theres a difference between using a game engine, and using a seperate physics engine.

Every prior usage of PhysX has simply added a PhysX layer on top of the existing game engine. That's why PhsyX effects have been "eh" over its inception. Arkum, on the other hand, seems to use PhysX for certain objects, independnet of the main gameplay engine. This takes a lot of strain off of the main engine, while it allows PhysX to shine.

Until the game is released, we won't know how far this extends, but I for one would love fog that bends/disperses as effects happen around it. PhysX can do that, game engines can not.

9. airblazer

airblazer Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire 2x 5870 1GB
    Havok will run on any video card as it's software based physics.
    Just look at Half Life 2...it's still one of the finest example of physics out there...
    Star Wars: Force Unleashed also used the Havok engine and it looks fabulous as well.

And screw u Nvidia..I'm glad I jumped ship to ATI...never been happier.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    ^ so what ?

most PhysX titles are software accelerated as well. only few uses NVIDIA GPU acceleration in their game, which is something Havok cannot do.
    currently, according to official & unofficial game lists, 168 tites use Havok, while 219 use PhysX (both including unreleased/upcoming titles)

in regards to stupid "flapping flags and bits of paper" kind of rants, you first need to understand the difference between pre-animated cloths and complex real time physics, then try to understand that the CPU just cant handle these.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009

11. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Lets see the number of games out NOW, you can't just say Havok has this many: and PhysX has and will have this many:, how the hell is that an accurate comparison?

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    OK then, Havok has 161 released titles, PhysX has 173 released ATM.

I still think upcoming games count does mean quite a lot (thats 7 against 46)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. Shroomalistic

Shroomalistic Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
    so whats the newest drivers that will run ati+ nvidia physx? im currently on the 181.71 and they work great with the newest physx drivers. I was wondering if there were anyother drivers that might mght work with win 7 cause these come up as pre-release wddm 1.1 drivers.

14. SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001 Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB ( 810/3900 )
    186.16 would be the newest whql driver that works, but you need to use the nvapi files from 185.68 drivers to make it work. None of the 190.x drivers work.
    http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2236/vantage.jpg

15. Shroomalistic

Shroomalistic Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
    will switching from 181.71 to the 186 drivers make that big of a difference for physx?

16. SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001 Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB ( 810/3900 )
    Honestly I haven't really tested to see which is faster or not. Maybe I'll test later, but I doubt there's going to be any big difference.

17. Shroomalistic

Shroomalistic Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
    right now im gettings a minimum of 70fps on fluidmark at 1920x1080. Max goes up 560+ with an average of 120fps. to me that seems pretty damn good. I can get it to go higher as I oc the 8800gts but im not sure how to tell where the 8800gts tops out at.

18. SSChevy2001

SSChevy2001 Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB ( 810/3900 )
    That seems about right. Here's what I'm getting right now with Fluidmarks @ 1080P 8xAA
    79 min / 131 avg / 521 max
    http://3mb.us/images/401_fluidmark19x10_8x.jpg

I kind of know my max oc on my 8800GTS from gaming with it before my 4870.

19. Shroomalistic

Shroomalistic Member

GPU:
    HIS HD5850+9800gt Physx
    what gts do you have? mines a 8800gts 320mb 96sp
    im assuming yours is the 512mb 112sp?

NVM, just saw the pic.

20. phoenixdot

phoenixdot Member

GPU:
    HIS X1950 Pro IceQ3 Turbo
    Where you get this data ??