ATI + Nvidia PhysX configurations are banned with newest drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by applejack, Aug 8, 2009.

1. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    As someone may notice, with 186 and higher drivers, hardware PhysX selection option is disabled if Nvidia GPU and Non-Nvidia GPU are present in same system.

darthcyclonis from ngohq.com recieves official nvidia position:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

* thanks to Zogrim (http://physx.cwx.ru) for this find.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ROFL at all those games were gona miss out on :eek:

Like i give a ****, we've got to many of our own useless features (according to the Nvidia lot), so we don't need Nvidai to give us some of theirs. :D :D

3. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    It`s another low-handed attempt by Nvidia to force ATI users to jump ship. As a personal protest, i`m refusing to buy any game that has the "Runs great on Nvidia" logo.

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I use 2 Nvidia cards that support Physx & I still can't choose to off load Physx to the second card on any driver after 185.85. Whats up with that?

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    That won't work, look at Sacred 2. They have ATI Premium Graphics plastered on the back, then in small font...

NVIDIA PHYSX....

LOL I seriously lmao right there at Wal*Mart when I saw that. They advertise this, and it's not even possible in a configuration. Oh well.....LOL. Some people would totally be lost.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Actually originally it used CPU PhysX, hardware acceleration was implemented as a extra in the 2.30 patch if I remember correctly. :)

7. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    you are correct. CPU accelerated PhysX does not conflict with ATI Stickers :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  8. Travkin

Travkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1080 Sli
    got a question...would the ATI+Physix still work with the older driver?

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Sorta.

If you use a NVIDIA card for PhysX with a ATI card as the main GPU any driver before 186 should work but as mentioned in the article they're a bit slow compared to more recent drivers even with the PhysX runtimes up to date.

With a PPU you can only use the 8.09.04 PhysX drivers (Though 8.06 to 8.08 is recommended as more titles are compatible with it.) as the other (More recent.) PhysX drivers won't utilize the PPU unless it's to offload a NVIDIA GPU.
    (The 8.09.04 drivers are also the last set to include the drivers for the PPU so it needs to be installed first followed by the more recent version afterwards.)

Bit of a hassle but I guess it's business, PPU itself is old and I can understand that discarding it is a viable choice but making it problematic to use ATI/NVIDIA combination is a bit cheap.
    (You still have to buy the NVIDIA GPU after all.)

10. Travkin

Travkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1080 Sli
    Alright, thanks

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think this is the final nail in the coffin for physx. Physx was never big, but it was good enough to last. But now where you have to basically have a full nvidia powered setup just to run it, it's too much for something that isn't going to have a huge impact in games. I like Physx, but I just can't see it growing anytime soon now because of this. Guess people will just have to use older drivers. :D

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    GPU PhysX was never meant to run side by side with ATI rendering.

and actually it keeps growing as we speak...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, but if they really wanted to push this, then they should have made it nvidia only from the start of the whole thing, instead of making it available to anyone with an ati or nvidia system. Even more when there's been so much time for people to build a rig with an ati card and an 8800 for physx. It sucks, because the first ppu was made for either ati or nvidia, even though it's doing better than what it was before it was owned by nvidia. And what's mostly growing in Physx, is the sdk used to handle physx on the cpu, not gpu dependant physx.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    NVidia seems to be hurting their image by their public statements, it will hurt them eventually, guarantee that.

15. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    It is true that AGEIA PPU was made for both NV & ATI. after NVIDIA acquired AGEIA they did not change that.
    but you need to separate the PPU from GPU PhysX (via CUDA) which was added exclusively for NVIDIA customers as a free "bonus".
    even though NV did not officially "ban" the ATI+NVIDIA combination (until now), they also didn't officially allow/support this kind of affair.
    the community came out with this "exploit", that isn't very user friendly to begin with. also doesn't work in vista. its an unofficial workaround.

my point being, whoever went the dubious route shouldn't blame NV for not supporting it now, as they never did.

regarding the growth of PhysX, you are right that CPU accelerated games are the majority,
    but GPU accelerated game list also getting wider with time. this week alone brought along two game demos with GPU accelerated PhysX,
    being Batman:AA & Darkest of Days. more to come, you can count on that, according to game developers official statements at the least.

just to be clear, I am not in favor of NVIDIA's Decision,
    nevertheless I recognize NVIDIA's rights & reasons to exclusively support their own customers as they see fit.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009

16. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    That's a butt ton of games you're gonna be abandoning :)

17. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    You don't have to buy it. You can download it! So that you can play the games, but still dont' support Nvidia!

18. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    the moment you see Nvidia logo, their job is done. pirating games only hurt the devs and the gaming industry as a whole.
    jealousy is twisting your logic :D Nvidia doesn't sell games.

19. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    it's probably a "bug" :D lol

20. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    They claim "quality assurance" lol what a joke. Why would they shoot themself in the foot like this? This was almost guaranteed to sell them mid-level cards.