ATI HD5xxx series, EPIC FAIL series. Post your problems here! Will ATI do NOTHING?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PlatoonSgtElias, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Do you have problems with the new HD5xxx series? Artifacts, Lock Ups, GSOD.

1. Yes I have

16.3%
  2. No I havent

65.5%
  3. I just want to see the results

18.2%
  1. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    i don't understand how so many people have so many problems with this card.Me personally and a couple of my friends(who also have 5850) don't have any problems at all. i had 4 ATI cards and except maybe a few minor problems with a driver and extended desktop issues,the cards worked just fine for me

EDIT: sometimes, i even forget to upgrade with the latest drivers and i never had major problems with any of the ATI GPU's in my rigg(s).

2. Vatigu

Vatigu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    If I wanted it to work out of the box not OCd, and completely untouched I would have had no problems, but for me using my computer is squeezing every drop of performance out it however possible. Every one of my problems except for the display port issue could have been ignored with default settings, but that would defeat the purpose of buying a card with high overclocking headroom.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Sapphire comes with a warranty for that headroom?

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    look...i had a 2900pro that i flashed with a 2900xt bios, and then i OCd it like hell for the past 2 years so i can keep up with the new wave of games....so i know how to OC, and i'm all in for OC-ing every little component in my PC.

I did oc my 5850 also just for fun, and with MSI afterburner i managed to squeeze even more out of it, but for now i don't need my card OCd...and let me assure you if the situation asks for it, i will oc my card as much as possible.

i buy ATI cards cause they're cheapper, if i had money to spare i would buy a new 480(though i also need a new PSU) despite all the power consuption and heating issues

5. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i hate this type of threads, people don't understand that problems exist everywhere, nvidia has problems just as ati, of course people who had problems with ati are saying "nvidia is the **** never had problems with nvidia" and vice versa...instead of complaining about what problems has ati cards you should do something to find out where's the problem, maybe a issue with your hardware, maybe is a faulty ati card, but this type of problems can be solved..

seriosly i had both nvidia and ati, i had problems with both but always figured them out..

6. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    the card is doing what its supposed to do on stock speeds (what its made for to do)
    if you run into trouble by ocing the card(wich it isnt supposed to do unless its factory overclocked)that is your problem and not your hd5850 or ati or anyone except you to blame for.

7. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    I think ANYONE in this day of age of patches, updates, firmware updates, bios updates who actually gets a product that WORKS out of the box..and works WELL, is the rare occurance anymore. We've just 'accepted' now that most computer software/hardware will just arrive and there will be issues with them, whether that be slow performance, heat, incompatibilities, but yet we ACCEPT THEM. Would you buy a CAR that didnt come with 4 tires, but yet, the 'update' for the 4 tires was coming down the line to the tune of 5mos? doubt it. Would you buy a hamburger at a fast food establishment that needed and 'update' of condiments to it? *imagine that how you will* This is what we as consumers have allowed and it continues to get worse....video cards are no exception...im sure in the future sometime down the road..someone*yankee* will launch a class action suit against X company for these exact reasons..its just a matter of time...

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I prefer this.

I've learned so much about computers from these hiccups. I imagine most enthusiasts share my thought.

Further, if we demand they iron out all bugs (Which is impossible to do anyway) then new graphics card releases will be measured in years. No more of this once a year, with refreshes every 6 months. Instead, cards will be released every 2 years once all the bugs are ironed out.

If that marketing scheme is even feasible at all.

9. Vatigu

Vatigu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I'm not saying it's their fault, I've already clearly stated if I wanted an out of the box perfect experience I'd be fine, but I don't want all these headaches simply because ATI's drivers, powerplay implementation and overclocking systems are rushed and sloppy. Just to get eyefinity working at default clocks I HAD to flash bios (or have my right monitor flick off for 2-3 seconds every 10secs to 2 mins). See all the people bitching about eyefinity display port problems? They are probably going to have to flash bios to fix it. Is that in the warranty? No. Is it recommended by manufacturer? No. Is it necessary to get the promised experience from the card? Yes. Essentially to use a baseline feature with an eyefinity approved DP-VGA passive adapter I had to break my warranty. So yes I DO blame ATI, all of the other warranty breaking is irrelevant because even if I didn't have to break it to OC I did have to to get my $350 monitors working.

Also I can deal with most of these problems without complaint, it's the fact that I have to fight a battle for EVERY SINGLE THING I want to do with the card. but ****ty drivers are ****ty drivers no matter how you look at them, GSODs related to powerplay and DXVA for me baseline no OC. Bottom line there is just not nearly as much polish on ATI's releases. Granted Nvidia has some of it's own issues (Fan spin up error for instance with those recalled drivers a few weeks back)

Honestly I think ATI just rushed to the market with these a little too soon, and I'm not willing to buy into ATI again unless the purchase is a sure, well ironed out device that will not make me lose nights of sleep to googling fixes.

TL;DR I have nothing against what ATI is offering to people who want that kind of easy no room for anything parts. But for me I will take note not to make the same mistake again, regardless I would not be buying Fermi right now (Would need an A/C for my room lol)

Trust me when I say I'm no fanboy of either company, I just think nVidia does a better job with their drivers. And ATI needs to step it up, "unforeseen voltage problems with DP connections" should not require someone to break their warranty.

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Been running my HD 5870 since launch and haven't seen a single issue with anything.

OC'ing causes instability if it is not stable. Installing driver over driver over driver can also cause issues. I bet I pop your card in my machine, all would be well.

11. Supa Chiney

Supa Chiney New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    Sorry if it has been answered previously but how did you guys manage to fix the "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." issue ??

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    i would also say its not you who to blame its micro$hit who should be blamed and hated
    :D
    (i tried windoze 7 trial rtm, and didnt find any other improvements over xp, except 33gb winsxs (and counting) and several different bsod`s, while xp runs quite well on the same config)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    My first ATi card, no problems here, never had a BSOD what so ever...

14. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    bah...i agree ati radeon's 5XXX are an epic fail...they just wanted to make money for the beasts of 6 series 6XXX coming late this year...

what to tell...many crashes..??
    too many freezes in situations without a meaning with temps under 70-80..??
    full loading with 8x++ antialiasing getting 90+ degrees temperature..??
    the worst and first generation dx11 processing with errors..??
    bad and worst tesselation and dx11 dropping fps than getting more..??

jesus christ i hate the day taking a 5XXX ati radeon card...i was good with 4XXX series parts...

dont mention display ports problems and crossfire annoying EPIC fails...AMD are idiots, all for the money guys...!!!:bang::biggun::stewpid:

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I never had any of those issues that other users with HD5770 said they had Been smooth sailing for weeks.

16. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Poll results say otherwise.

17. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Been running my 5870 since launch and had no issues apart from OCing to high.
    In the end i have to settle for a 1000mhz on GPU :(

18. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    No issues here.

19. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    The most succes ATI launch, leader of the GPU market for 6 months and getting Nvidia into serious troubles ...

a FAIL ????

What are you been smoking the last six months ?

20. master2k8

master2k8 Active Member

GPU:
    7950 1.1 Ghz Edition
    i swapped 2 times my whole system to get my card work stable, no board liked it not asus and not gigabyte, now it's working and the card got no artifacts with stock settings