ATI HD5xxx series, EPIC FAIL series. Post your problems here! Will ATI do NOTHING?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PlatoonSgtElias, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Do you have problems with the new HD5xxx series? Artifacts, Lock Ups, GSOD.

1. Yes I have

16.3%
  2. No I havent

65.5%
  3. I just want to see the results

18.2%
  1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    hmmmm if you (the OP) are so disgruntled at ATI then simply sell up and go to the green team.

It seems from this forum alone from the poll results that only a small amount of people have had problems. Now lets look at it globally, I would say maybe around 5% of people are having these problems. It does not warrant ATI the money or resources to fix it. Maybe you just got unlucky and you received a bad batch and all they are doing is circulating (this is not ATI's fault its the retailers). Its the same if not worse over at the green camp, many people here including my self have had GPU's die on them.

For example:

My cards:

Green camp - 5600 died, 6800 died, 8800GTX DOA

Red camp - X1900XTX died RMA'd new X1900XTX DOA, 4870X2 one GPU died RMA's new one works like a charm.

It happens, I could not even count the amount of times I have had to RMA a PC component. Countless HDD's, GPU's, CPU's, etc, etc.

2. ai-man

ai-man Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080 Strix
    No problems for me either, card is cool and quiet and my whole system is rock solid stable.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Or you could just apply the same graphics settings in the menu, saves you from dying all the time :D

4. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Yo man!! Hows everything going!! :) They do get hot for sure.. On air I tried not to push the cards too much.. Max for a short run was 1080 at 1.4v
    I was always so afraid I'd burn one up.. I did buy cheap water blocks and rigged them on.. Everything stayed pretty cool after that.. Really easy to work with.. dice and ln2 always seemed to cool them down alot as well..

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    oh but there is no fun in that :(

6. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, this is why I will never buy dual gpu card, nvidia, ati - no matter. Dual GPU's are just like an incomplete products, sometimes they work, sometimes not but they cost like they work all the time instead of 50% less :D

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Dual GPU was great back in the 3Dfx days.
    Still works but for some games it requires to much work on the profiles from the user, something which the people coding the drivers should have done.
    But I guess neither ATI nor Nvidia has the budget for coders that test this through before release.

8. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I agree, but back then you had Glide as API and SLi worked only in Glide API, we can sort of compare that hardware to today's Macs, you write specific peace of code for specific peace of hardware, much less complicated.

I do not have anything against the idea itself, it's the drivers and implementation that keeps me away from such products...It's like a leaking boat...I don't really should care why. :)

9. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I remember i made a thread back in the days on guru3d " when i was using PCI ati cards ", i made a thread blaming ATI for all sorts of problems in games, etc etc. Well ever since switching to PCIE ATI, i don't have anymore problems in games.

Bottom line, ATI is not the problem, its your setup or drivers, simple as that.

10. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    I've had no problems here! Had 1 previous ATI card, the X1400, most amazing little passive card I ever had... It's still knocking around here somewhere...

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP

Cool man!
    Its going well, just no funds for new stuff lately...... Let me know when you have another give away!!:banana:

12. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    No probs with my new system, most stable and easily overclockable I've ever had.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    right again general its alllllll user end :nerd:

14. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Issues with AA sometimes here with my HD5770... And thats it i think. Friggin fast compared to my previous 8600GT. So, very happy indeed. Just a lil overpriced (like 10 or 20 bucks more than a HD4870 wich performs the same or slightly better with lower clocks).

15. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    5770 ftw over here. I can't overclock it or I get the GSOD and at minor overclocks I don't see the point, or any improvement. May two fps. ha.

Every set of drivers I've used in the past six months has worked fine except for a couple of beta's that wouldn't enable AF. I'm using the 10.3a drivers now and I'm thoroughly enjoying my gaming. I just bought Metro 2033 and Stalker Cop so there goes my two days off from work. :)

I had minor artifacts when playing BFBC2 when I first tried gaming after unlocking the disabled cores on my Phenom II after a BIOS update and slowly implementing the previous 3.6ghz overclock. That's now cleared up and everything is as smooth as butter.

Regardless of the issues, GSOD's and windows crashes I had when trying to overclock the 5770 (I will admit to being an amateur concerning overclocking) the point being that after resetting the clocks or some other minor troubleshooting the 5770 went back to being perfectly stable. Quality product ftw.

16. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2060
    No error from me. I am using 5850 from November 2009 in last 4 1/2 month no problem from. NO GSOD or BSOD.

I am Happy :)

17. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Hey guys.

Ive been having a few problems, which i didnt have before when i had my 9800GTX+

Firstly, Crysis. Everything in the distance flickers like crazy. The gun and close objects are ok.

Napoleon Total War. When game loads into 3d, the loading screen stays on. I can hear everything in the background, so i know the game is playing, but the loading screen is overlayed over everything.

I have used driversweeper to clear all remnant nvidia driver files.

tested with 10.2 and 10.3a preview. Issue is on both driver sets.

Any ideas guys?

18. Fluesopp

Fluesopp Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 5870 in CF
    Have had 2900 i CF, 4870 in CF, 4890 in CF and now 5870 in CF.....and the system i have beeen most happy with is my 5870 CF system...works exelent.
    Have had 1800 and 1900 in CF for a short while to.

BUT of course there is some that have problem, no company is perfect.
    Thats why yoou have rma and so on.
    Nvidia isnt better in failure-rates, they to have problems to.

19. axeten

axeten Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 OC Edtion

I have a problem with my 5770 too :(

Two days ago i built up my new pc:

AMD Phenom II 3.4GHz quad core
    8GB Geil black dragon DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    Saphire HD5770 (Vapour X edition)
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 mainboard

Load my genuine windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on Wednesday night and then the problems begun. While i was loading the basics of office, winrar, VLC player, flash player, adobe reader etc The screen came up with all these little off coloured squares and then went black for a second. The desktop re appeared and i got the message "ATI radeon driver failed and recovered successfully".

Long story short, we re seated the graphics card, checked everything else, changed drivers from 10.3 to 10.2 then 10.1, now runnning catalyst 9.12 hotfix and ATI stream as this is what someone else did to fix the problem. Still no good, between 12 and 3 oclock today it failed 4 times. Not while playing a game, just on the net or in windows.

I found this thread last night
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...PAGE=24&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&#lastunread

After reading all 24 pages, It seems a lot of people are having problems. More of a software or system compatibility thing apparently as when the cards get sent to ATI and tested, they are returned as being fine.

I am getting mine swapped as the local tech thinks its a card fault so hopefully it is and it will be all good from now on, but looking at what other people have done (had cards replaced under warranty), there is still a problem....

hopefully someone figures it out, I'm no computer genius so it wont be me sorry.

20. Vatigu

Vatigu Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Lol my experience with this card has been nothing short of awful (5850) but because I'm an avid tinker, I love the various challenges, these issues have increased my video card knowledge sevenfold.
    First issue I had: December card arrives:
    Powerplay, and overdrive does not work correctly with dual monitors, second monitor flashes consistently, as it resets powerplay to 157/300 clocks the default single screen low power setting instead of the 400/900 multi screen default power setting.
    Temp fix: Use AMD GPU Clock Tool to force 3Dmode disabling powerplay.
    Solution: Download and use RBE to modify all low power settings to multi screen low power setting.

GPU can't overclock using overdrive because of hardlocked OC top-end, and the screen flickering issue is still prevalent whenever the powerplay mode changes, Annoys me.
    Temp fix: continue to use AMD GPU Clock Tool.
    Solution: Download the unlocked MSI Drivers and use AB to overclock as I wish, again modifying the low powerplay settings to fix the dual monitor issue.

Get fed up with flashing screen everytime the powerplay changes, and DXVA not working due to DXVA+Powerplay causing grey screens of Death.
    Solution: Use RBE to modify all powerplay clocks to standard clocks. Screw efficiency at the cost of user experience.

Buy 2 additional 24 inch Panels 1920x1200, find out I need a passive DP -> VGA adapter
    Wait two weeks for it to arrive.
    Problem, DP monitor flashes off for 3~ secs every 10secs to 2 mins.
    Solution: Download a new Sapphire released bios (latest 5850 vbios released) Modify it again to disable powerplay, and run into the overclocking lock problem again, but the display port now functions correctly, no flashing screen. Enable unofficial overclocking method in MSI AB to fix locked clocks.

I've run the gamut of possible problems a single video card can cause and I can honestly say that from now on I am NEVER buying ATI again. Even if the nearest nVidia offering is two generations behind in performance. I absolutely refuse to deal with this much headache ever again. Granted I've always had fun when I finally get it working the way I want it to, I don't want to have to fix my video card every month or two. I love it when you're building a PC and it gives you hours of challenge to get it working right, but I want it to stay working for a good long time after that. I have enough tech support to deal with in a house with 7 computers and a group of computer illiterates, without having to fix mine every other day.