Ati hd2900xt hdmi no sound

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SupraTT, Sep 12, 2007.

1. SupraTT

SupraTT New Member

GPU:
    HD2900XT
    Hello everyone, I have a problem with the hd2900xt sound via hdmi that I need you help on. I have the card connected via the ATI provided hdmi dongle, and I have the hdmi cable plugged to my TV. I've installed the two drivers (ATI WDM integrated Driver, ATI hdmi audio driver) from ati's website. I can get video but no audio. I have made sure the ATI hdmi audio is the default sound device in control panel. Do you guys know what I'm doing wrong? thanks.

2. squirrel007

squirrel007 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480
    Try disabling your sound card. I had that same problem and I just gave up because I didn't really need that function anyway.

3. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 295
    in control panel goto sound and audio devices, click on the audio tab, then select the sound playback default device to the ATI HDMI whatsmajig.

4. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    what os?

what catalyst version?

5. SupraTT

SupraTT New Member

GPU:
    HD2900XT
    I'm using Windows XP Pro with Catalyst 7.8. I've also set the ATI hdmi as the default audio output but I still get no sound. Any idea what I should try next?

6. Ava3ar

Ava3ar Member

GPU:
    ATi 2900 XT, 512
  7. LCruel

LCruel New Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD 2900 XT 512mb
    I had the same problem with my computer.

While debugging the problem (witch I got fixed) i found two problems

1) There are two DVI interfaces on the graphical card but only ONE of them supports audio. So try switching interface.

2) The output uses some kind of audio codec. When you install a codec pack it might overright/replace the audio codec. For example the sound in windows media player wouldent play. But ingame sound of 'some' games would. I dont know how to fix codec problems so i yust reinstalled the system.

I used a HD 2900 XT with a HD-HD cable atched to the HD-DVI converter that was included with the card.

I hope this helps.

8. SupraTT

SupraTT New Member

GPU:
    HD2900XT
    I installed the suggested driver, but still now sound. I do have the Soundblaster Platinum Audigy 2 card install with its driver. Do you guys think that's preventing the hd2900xt from putting out sound? I'll try to uninstall the SB driver and see.
    Regarding the two DVI ports on the video card, only one will put out video when connected with the ATI hdmi dongle. So I think I have the right port connected.

9. LCruel

LCruel New Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD 2900 XT 512mb
    My card give my visual on both the DVI ports.

Have you tried unplugging the screen and then reconnecting it. It gave me a error message why the sound diddent work. Atleast that worked for me when i completely loaded up windows XP sp2.

I also noticed that aplications like Media player dont have to be restarted if you change a sound output device.

10. SupraTT

SupraTT New Member

GPU:
    HD2900XT
    I finally got the sound to work by plugging the dongle into the other DVI port instead. If you look at the end of the card with both DVI ports in front of you and the fan duct on top, you want to plug the dongle into the left DVI port. The right DVI port didn't deliver sound for me. So use the DVI port closer to the motherboard when the card is installed.
    I also used the two hdmi sound drivers from Ati's website for the hd2900xt.