ATI GPU Scaling Fix for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by king-dubs, Jan 8, 2010.

1. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Code:
    ATI GPU Scaling Fix v1.1 for Windows 7
    by AgentGOD
    ----------------------------------

Homepage: www.ultimate-filez.com
    Donation: www.ultimate-filez.com/?page=donate

Description:
     A fix for the infamous GPU Scaling issue with ATI Catalyst(tm) and Windows 7. See below for
     more details.

Requirements:
     - An x86/x64 CPU.
     - A DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort monitor. CRT will not work.
     - Microsoft(R) Windows 7. Both x86 and x64 should be supported. Tested on x64.
     - Latest ATI Catalyst(tm) drivers.
     - Microsoft(R) Visual C++ 2008 Runtime (x86), can be found here:
       http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf
     - Microsoft(R) .NET Framework v2.0 (minimum), can be found here:
       http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5

Note:
     - If you have not checked "Enable GPU Scaling" in Catalyst Control Center, you must do so first.
     - This program has only been tested on one machine (AMD Turion Ultra X2 laptop with HD 3200 IGP),
       so please don't hesitate to give positive constructive feedback!
     *v1.1 has been heavily optimized on a gaming desktop with multiple monitors, so it should work on all setups now

Usage:
     - Run the program.
     - Select the desired GPU Scaling mode.
     - Run your favorite 3D application (such as a game, etc).
     - Enjoy. Please everyone submit tickets to the Catalyst crew feedback system!
     - Please donate if you like this program and/or my other programs!
    If you need any more information or help, click the "Help" button in the program. If that
    is not helpful enough, feel free to post on the forums!

Copyright © 2010 Ultimate Filez

ATI Catalyst(tm) is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices.

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

Download link:
    http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/ATIGPUScalingFix-Win7.zip

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    Nice.:)

Will try it later when i get home from work.

3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks, will try it out. Will be back with more "constructive" feedback, later. ;)

4. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Updated to v1.1 to work with more systems.

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    that's pretty cool mode switcher.

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Good program. Shame that it is needed...ati should fix scaling on win7

7. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Waaaaaaaait, GPU Scaling was never broken. For me if I set it to a resolution such as 1680x1050, the options aren't grayed out and I'm able to select Use centered timings.

Always has worked for me anyway.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    steve-
    Well, do you use Win7?

9. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes, Win 7 Ultimate x64.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This has never been broken for me ever since I have used Win 7 x64, always had no problems fitting my 32" LCD tv to work and look wonders with my PC. I think the only drivers I had trouble with this issue was 9.3 (i think).

When I saw the title thread I thought it was about GPU Xfire scaling.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    ATI's solution as far as I've read about it was to have it grayed out unless a resolution lower than native was used, later on the ability to enable and disable scaling was added back but the modes remain locked, lowering resolution, altering the options and then setting it back should work although it'll gray out again, main issue with this for me is for older titles using lower resolutions, no way to set scaling mode with that method although ATI's solution is fine for desktop usage and similar. :)
    (I can't remember where I read this but I think it was a post on ATI's forum from a moderator, fairly certain I've seen it explained on that Catalystmaker tweet as well.)

I don't have any problems with it aside from that (Been a while since I ran older titles, mostly DosBox builds using SVN builds with stuff like OGL/D3D support.) but if it's not working or broken for specific configurations then this tool is quite a nice solution to the problem. :)

EDIT: Tested the utility (Tested via CCC at a lower resolution and different scaling options as well to see that it took effect and it does as intended.), it worked as it should and altered scaling, I prefer to maintain aspect ratio as to avoid stretching out the image despite the black side bars and this'll save doing a few extra steps.
    (Personally locking out the scaling options wasn't needed in my opinion and I'm unsure what the reasoning behind it is, useful utility.)

12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The issue is that it shouldn't be grayed out in the 1st place. As it use to be.

13. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's grayed out because your running your monitors native resolution. I do agree it was a dumb move to do this, but nevertheless, it isn't broken.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The problem is that you don't know when it's working or not from one cat release to the next. This is why it shouldn't be grayed out. Having to go through the extra steps is simply annoys me as a customer. And is completely unneeded regardless. It like someone is trying to justify their job or something.

Here are a few annoyances many have complained about in the past:
    1. This scaling issue were it's grayed out. In which you have to do a lot of clicking just to see if it works in this cat release or not

2. The newer GUI is cumbersome, difficult to use and just plain annoying. It comes off from a programmer point of view instead of a end user point of view.

3. 400/1200 bug, a new addition, is called by some a feature so a say a featured bug. There are those of us who don't have issues with 157/300. If 400/1200 is needed they need to make it an option or reprogram the installer to use the feature with PC that qualify for it.

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I drop my resolution down to 1680x1050, save my profile, done. I never have to mess with it ever again. This is a one time thing and it works fine even after installing new drivers over the top.

17. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There you go, I thought I would help you out as you skipped a few steps (which is why the GUI is so cumbersome and annoying). But as for a one time thing that's simply not true, you have to check it every cat release to make sure it's working.

The app provide helps a lot in getting to that area. But simply put the driver team should be doing this.

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I assure you I don't and never do, yet it always seems to work fine! Guess my PC must be special? </sarcasm>

19. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    There were times when it didn't work. Just because you didn't notice didn't mean it didn't happen. So pardon me if I don't take your word for it. Again the use of this app does help in reducing the overall time/clicks to get to the Image Scaling portion of Catalyst. But it's a sad state of affairs when we have to look for people to create apps to do the simplest of things instead of getting it from the creators themselves.

20. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't really care if you don't take my word for it. I simply stated my experience with this, you can take that however you see fit. I'd like it if you simply just said fair enough rather than calling bull**** simply because my experience with this differs from yours.

And for your information this isn't a case of me "not noticing". Before my 16:10 monitor was brutally killed (long story), I used to switch between that screen and my 1080p screen. And when doing that and relaunching a game like TF2 or GTAIV the screen resolution would reset, and guess what? Centered timings. It has been working fine since 10.3 all the way to 10.5a before I formatted and used 10.6.