ATI GPU + Nvidia GPU (physics) + Windows 7

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by metaltoiletry, Nov 19, 2008.

1. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Hey guys,

I am not sure if anyone has posted this information before, but anyway, I stumbled upon this this morning and thought some of you would find it useful. I am going to look into Windows 7 now, to try this out.

According to Hard Forums user Fitseries3, you are able to run an ATI graphics card alongside an Nvidia graphics card, which is dedicated to physics, like in XP. Fitseries3 is running two 4870X2 with a dedicated GTX260 for physics.

source: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1362038

2. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Hey, this is quite interesting. Cheers for sharing the news......this should work in Vista, technically...right? Besides, i'd rather wait for Windows 7 before messing with it.

r2rX :D

3. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Actually, running an ATI card along with an Nvidia card does not work in Vista. It's due to Vista only being able to use 1 video driver or something. That is why I got excited when I read this. I cannot wait to use my 8800GT as a physics card, or at least try it out!

4. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    I still think this can be done, and I'm going to spend some of my time into trying to get it to work so:

#1 PhysX form nVidia needs an nVidia display driver installed? (or does it just need to detect the driver files?
    #2 It's not possible for PhysX to run with only the PhysX drivers installed?
    #3 Need some VISTA people who are willing to help me test this.

5. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    Hi Killer Sneak.. Im in for testing im running Vista 64bit and 3870 cossfire

6. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    :puke2::3eyes::bang::bang::bang:everyone can run ATi Main + Nvidia secondary in XP except me... or is only XP 32?...