ATI FireGL/FireProSoftmod - Discussion Thread for new members

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by schoko, Jan 11, 2010.

1. roocoon

roocoon Active Member

You can change the couple of places that store the device ID but you can't change the reported chip type (M96 in my case). This comes from the chip itself and not its BIOS.

Besides the part changed by the current scripts that deals with the device ID, there are other blocks of code that differentiate among different chip types.
    RV700 series is there, for example, but not the M96 that my card reports.

If I could override these parts so it looks for M96 instead of RV700, it would probably work. Even better, modify the routine that returns back this value instead of modding many places in the code that use it.
    But without being able to trace the driver, I can't locate the function that does this so this whole discussion remains theoretical.

By the way, is here an SDK describing the APIs used by the ATI drivers?

Come to think of it, there could be a way to verify what I suspect.

1) Let's say, using one of the posted scripts, you change the device ID to match some FirePro/FireGL card.
    2) Of course, you decided on the proper device ID by matching the chipsets of the real and the emulated card, based on some information table in AMD or wherever.
    3) Run RBE against a dump of your card's BIOS and see the reported chip type.
    4) If the reported chip matches the chip of the card you try to emulate, you should get good ViewPerf results using the modified Unified drivers.
    If it doesn't match, the results would be so and so. A couple of improved tests but the rest would be the same as with your unmodified Catalyst drivers.

If you feel like it, post your results based on this scenario.

2. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    There are many ViewPerf results out there but they aren't really comparable.. People have different CPU, some maybe did something wrong.. I found a thread on radeon.ru with a patchscript for 8.773 driver (already posted here but only one benchmark I think..) and somebody says 8.634 script from schoko works with newest driver (8.8xx).. In one review of FirePro V5800 I read about driver issues with 8.723(6) driver so they left out ViewPerf benchmark..

In the next days I will test the scripts I found so far with newer drivers than 8.723 in combination with my Mobility HD5870 (aka HD5770 aka FirePro V5800 aka Mobility FirePro M7820) which is RV840.. I would do it now, but my internet is too slow to download anything ;)

Did a quick try with 8.773.1.1 driver (AMD and HP) with script from Schoko and Sergyg.. I tested only ViewPerf10 CATIA-02 and score dropped from 38 to 20 so it doesn't work.. I think with 8.723 everything is fine, but the newer drivers should have better performance..

Would be great if someone could make a test with ViewPerf10 and Desktop HD5870 with FirePro 8.723 driver and patchscript from Schoko as my CATIA score (38) still seems to be a bit low compared to my desktop with i5@3,9Ghz and HD4890 where I get a 70..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. Danisinthehouse

Danisinthehouse Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 E6 2G
    I'll give it another try this weekend with the 7.23 drivers. My HD5870 is an eyefinity 6 card so it may have an extra bit of hassle built in when trying to make it work at less than a V9800. I tried Terras script (added the "03") and it didn't work. Both scripts do work, kind of, until I reboot then when it comes back on, the screen resolution can not be set higher than 1400x1050 and it refers to the monitor as std VGA. Before the reboot it knows my monitor and offers the highest resolution it can handle 1650x1050.

4. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    I think you are using Windows 7 x64, therefore you have to press F8 before Windows Boot and select disable force driver signing (don't know the exact name).. Else it won't load the driver as atikmdag.sys is not signed.. If you want to sign it boot with F8 and the mentioned option in Windows and run DSEO 1.3 (google) to sign atikmdag.sys (or atikmdag.sy_?) in /windows/system32/drivers folder.. After you signed the file you don't have to press F8 anymore.. Good luck, I'm looking forward to see your results..

Short sumary:

uninstall driver from device manager (I also select delete driver)
    reboot
    press F8 before Windows boot and disable force driver signing
    install patched driver from device manager
    reboot
    press F8 before Windows boot and disable force driver signing
    start dseo, select sign system file and type path to atikmdag.sys
    reboot Windows without pressing F8

Hope this helps..

5. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350

6. Danisinthehouse

Danisinthehouse Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 E6 2G
    I think you may right on the driver signing. I was doing the signing right after the install finish and before rebooting. I have to do one more f8 on that reboot then sign the driver. I'm going to try it again tonight and see what happens.

7. smile_gerard

smile_gerard Member

GPU:
    3800/5870m
    I used the modified "atiogl.xml". As for the script, mine was catered specifically for the ati 5870 mobility. So you would have to make the necessary changes. Other things such as you mentioned "C7" i don't know anything. All i did was copy and paste schoko's script then made the necessary changes for my card. Still i have to say that my card is a 5870 mobility not a desktop version. Don't know if thats the cause of it.

8. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    even better results SW01 test Specview 10.0

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

overlocked to 4.5ghz using HD4870 1GB temps around 65 cel

9. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    Very confused about win 7 driver signing help needed

What order am i suppose to tell dseo13b.exe to sign the drivers. Could someone please give me the idiot proof version as I am an idiot most of the time..

This is the order I understand it to be:

1. Get DSEO to put windows 7 64 into text mode tell it go to test mode and reboot.

2. Install the modded FireGL driver

3. Reboot. and select Disable device driver method F8

4. No sign C:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys

5. Reboot again.

Is this the EXACT order it should be done seems it works this way.

Anyone getting the watermark off? I dont care just wondering that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    @terrablader

1 enable testmode with dseo
    2 reboot with f8 and disable force driver signing
    3 install driver
    4 reboot with f8 and disable force driver signing
    5 sign atikmdag.sys with dseo

now you don't have to boot with f8 anymore..

I removed watermark with another tool and it worked but I don't remember the name.. Be carefull and use only tool for Windows 7 Final build!

11. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    thanks CadCat. Any luck with your 5XXX card yet?

12. lestatto

lestatto Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 470
    Yes, I also noticed it in NX7, which is basically unbearable on 8.643 (performance similar to software rendering even on the most basic parts). Surprisingly 8.723 with Schoko's script solved issue, and I can even enjoy True Shading/Studio viewports functionality from time to time w/o dramatic performance issues.
    Lack of CCC can be fixed by installing regular Catalyst package (11.3 works for me) over modded drivers, excluding driver itself. Additional FireGL/Pro settings like Quad Buffer Stereo or 10-bit format can be adjusted there.

13. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    No, we need a new patchscript, maybe GellmaR can help but he needs a 5xxx card..

14. brendanh

brendanh Member

Good idea, count me in for £20 :)

Don't know what the market's like over there, but 5830s are actually cheaper here (£87) atm..

15. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    count me in on donation as well

but lets get him 6XXX series

16. Danisinthehouse

Danisinthehouse Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 E6 2G
    Hey, I'll kick in a few bucks too. Do you have a Paypal account?

17. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    OK so lets make an official donation list:

CADCAT 20 Euros
    brendanh £20
    terrablader 20 Euros
    Danisinthehouse 20 Euros
    isomorphous 20 Euros
    Bistopepmol 20 Euros

Maybe a few more, we need about 100 Euro (90 + Shipping for a HD5830)

So GellmaR are you still on board? Then please tell us some adress where we can send the money..

OK lets get it on :biggun:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  18. isomorphous

isomorphous New Member

GPU:
    HD4870/FirePro V8700
    I'm In

I'm in for 20 euros (~28 USD), especially if a script can be done for a 6xxx. Is there even a professional card released yet based on the 6 series?

19. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    @ismorphous

I added you to the list but 6xxx series FirePro is not even anounced, FirePro V9800 is the flagship which is still based on RV870 (HD5870) only with more RAM (4GB)..

20. sekopasa

sekopasa Guest

GPU:
    Ati M5730
    Hi, I read some of the thread,

what i need is to soft mod my mobile5730 card into FirePro M5800, as i looked from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units

this comparison chart. It looks possible.

I downloaded the GPU drivers for pro5800. i get into the

\Packages\Drivers\WDM\Display\W76A_INF
    but the file name is called C7113068.inf

i opened the file.

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1]
    "ATI FirePro M5800" = ati2mtag_Manhattan, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68C0&SUBSYS_1521103C
    "ATI FirePro M5800 " = ati2mtag_Manhattan, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68C1&SUBSYS_1521103C
    "ATI FirePro M7820" = ati2mtag_Manhattan, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_1520103C
    "ATI FirePro M7820 " = ati2mtag_Manhattan, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_1520103C
    ;

these are the corresponding lines which is sligthly different.
    The interesting part is, my device id is already 68c0. Also i have no idea that what is SUBSYS because im a complete noob about this.

I was hopefull that i would pass all the steps and try to install the driver. But it gave me an error. I need some suggestions before i go on because i dont want mess up my system.

Thanks in advance.