Ati DVI-HDMI Adaptor

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Havokie, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    I got one of these adapters with my 4870.

I was wondering - can I use this on any card with a DVI port for Video only? I'm aware other cards won't support the audio like the Ati cards do with this adaptor, but will it allow video on its own or is it a totally proprietary adaptor that will solely work on Ati cards that support video/audio though HDMI.

Example, will it work on something like an 8800GS for video only.

2. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Unless theres an internal restriction (which with some companies is entirely possible), any DVI<>HDMI adaptor should be able to output the same video signal.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    ive got a ati hdmi adapter hooked up to my 8800gtx and tv. works just fine. just like you said, no sound though (since there is no sound chip on the card)

4. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    DVI is just the same as HDMI so all the adapter does is channel the DVI pins in to a smaller plug bit like if you had a 4pin floppy cable and had a floppy to molex converter all it does is change the plug size

:)

5. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    DVI <> HDMI. HDMI has the extra bandwith to carry an audio signal, which can NOT be carried with DVI. Video wise, they carry the exact same electronic signal.