ATI Drivers, which are the best?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by thesicilian, Oct 22, 2003.

1. thesicilian

thesicilian New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600 Pro GV-R96P128D
    Hi Guys,

I've got a Gigabyte 9600pro graphics card. Which are the best drivers for IQ & performance? I've used the ATI 3.8's with rage 3d soft for overclocking & also tried the omega drivers. I have not tried the DNA drivers.

Please post your feelings on which are the best drivers.

Thanks in advance.

2. kayronjm

kayronjm Guest

The best drivers are always the latest...
    ATI Catalyst 3.8 are the latest official ones...
    However, in this case, scrap them! :)
    Especially if you're overclocking!

Therefore, go for the second latest, ATI Catalyst 3.7!
    Uninstall the 3.8 completely and install the 3.7. Then overclock your card if you want. Apparently the 3.8 had these overheating issues and a rumoured monitor-burnout issue (which is highly debateable). The drivers also seemed to constrict your overclocking abilities...
    So go for the ATI Catalyst 3.7 dude, they are the best ones at the moment...

kayronjm

3. thesicilian

thesicilian New Member

GPU:
    Better than the omega drivers ?

4. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    i have a 9500 pro. the CAT3.5 and CAT3.8 drivers have worked best for me. hope that helps. . .

5. Junk

Junk Guest

eh..

this question is very subjective. what may look better to one, might not look as good to another.

personally, i will install the newest drivers when they come out. if i don't like how they affected my games, then i'll ditch 'em and go back to what i was using.

i also tend to stay away from the omega drivers. imho, the nvidia omega drivers are far better than the ati omega drivers. maybe it's just me..

6. nofool

nofool Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 Superclocked
    ...the 3.8's look great, but...

you may be playing with fire -- literally. Quite a few people have posted that after loading the 3.8's their video cards burnt up. I have never read such a thing from anywhere near this many people after any other Catalyst release. Draw your own conclusions.

ATI has refuted the contention that the 3.8's ruined monitors (yes, there were a number of claims about that, too). And, ATI said they would also be researching the issue of ruined video cards and make statements regarding thier findings "later". Well, "later" gets later and later every day. Thus far, they haven't said a word to say publicly about whether or not the 3.8's ruin video cards. Until they do, and probably for at least a week afterward, I'll be running the Catalyst 3.7's.

It's a great pity. The 3.8's looked the very best ever, and the control panel was a really nice improvement over previous models. But, now we've all got this cloud hanging over us that goes unresolved and I'm not in the mood for Russian Roulette....

7. thesicilian

thesicilian New Member

GPU:
    Thanks for your replies guys, but is there any truth in the 3.8 drivers burning moniters?

The 3.7 benchmark slightly faster than the 3.8, but the 3.8 have better image quality. So I think I risk using the 3.8's.

Thanks all who replied.

8. chile

chile Master Guru

GPU:
    P-Color HD5770
    there were a few burnt monitors but the consensus is that those were merely coincidental...i used the 3.8's w/out problems on my 9000pro...like cock bender, i like the 3.5 cats...but i use omega's version....the dna drivers worked well for me, too....

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    A fried video card might conceably damage a monitor too I guess

10. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    i like the 3.7s... even though im using the 3.8s, im getting some texture tearing in one game with the 3.8s that im not getting in the 3.7s

halo, go figure

11. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    What is exactly "texture tearing"?

12. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    If you're playing a game, and notice that there's like a rolling effect on walls and such, that's texture tearing. Vsync usually fixes it.

13. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    sorry mil, i should have been more specific

i meant actual tearing, as it looks like the textures are being ripped alittle

14. Soilwork

Soilwork Master Guru

GPU:
    Legend 8800GTS 640MB
    is there anyway to fix texture tearing. I'm getting it with any catalyst version I run in all my games and 3dmark03

15. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Have you tried a complete reinstall? What about reinstalling your chipset drivers, DX9, and then the Cat's?

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    yeah, I'm still using the 3.7's. They give me better performance, and the IQ is the as on the 3.8's same imo. Soo.. you'll just have to play around a bit, try different sets of drivers till you find one that you like.

17. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    I use the 3.7's as there's been to many speculations on the 3.8's. Don't wanna fry the 9700p I just got back from RMA. lol

18. STAB

STAB Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 Vapor-X Sapphire
    i am using the Omegas Dell leak modified and i have seen some performance increase in Halo although not so much more. Also CS goes a bit smoother that 3.8s

19. JAGGEDUK

JAGGEDUK Guest

DNA drivers for me, slightly faster then the officials with better stability.

To many probs with the omega set and i feel they are slower then the officials.