ATI degrades IQ in drivers for fermi launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by cowie, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I am trying to grasp the point of this thread/article and to see how there is any evidence for this degrading of iq.

Dunno Cowie but it seems a bit like hearsay. Almost like saying nvidia drivers are better than ati or vice versa...or intel is better than amd...

@morbias i dont prefer any company i just dont trust stuff like this. it's all a bit like flatters to deceive...

2. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Adding me to your ignore list would be "wiser" except one enjoys messing posters around :rolleyes:

I never said that ATI were angels, but simply that I had a better experience with them till now.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    From the sounds of things, it's you who should put me on your ignore list, it seems you have issues when people post the other side of the argument. Though it is tempting considering pretty much half of your posts are nvidia hate posts with one sided arguments or devoid of any actual facts.

These are discussion forums, in case you'd forgotten.

4. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    T

Yeah we know Fermi wasn't what you wanted it to be, now stop trashing ATi kthanxbai.
    Now on a serious note, Yeah I've read somewhere that the A.I in the drivers could degrade IQ, not noticeably, when set on ADVANCED. Standard it is set to NORMAL. It's an OPTION. This means the user have to select it. And if it was used in benchmarks then it's not ATi's fault. Anyways if there's proof that IQ really degraded then I'm sorry for this post.
    ~Aeny

5. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    It is not what you say, but "the way" you say the things "not only" to me but other posters. Irony and sarcasm the whole time in your poster's life, it seems.

And telling me that I should add you to my ignore list is another sample of your sarcasm and foolishness. You know that I cannot do that because the forum software prevents me from doing so as you are a moderator or admin.

But, it doesn't matter if you are a moderator or admin, I won't read your posts anymore from now on.

I like deers so much, but you are not one of them, of course. You are just a guy with a little more miserable power here abusing people on this forum with your hidden hatred and open irony, period. In the real life, I'd kick... and that's it, you know. Do as you wish.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  6. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, I'm sure you really added me to your ignore list. I know you're still reading this, so let me just say I will continue to correct your invalid troll arguments, and seriously, look in the mirror when it comes to 'the way' you say things. You come across as full of hate; smile more, you'll live longer.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Theres been some epic trollings and flames lately :(

8. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Wow. Nice edit you made there.

I suggest you take a chill pill when you get back from your timeout or GTFO altogether.

9. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You're sound quite bitter and not a little ridiculous these days.

I only mention this because you're one of the few posters I really respect here, it would be a shame to see you lost to fanboyism.
    You on the other hand... well, it's a lost cause.
    So how should we proceed with NVIDIA drivers then? Obviously all optimization options should be turned off at the driver level but is it even possible to fully delete the application profiles? IIRC NVIDIA has no option like Catalyst AI but rather transparent application profiles, which incidentally is one of the best features of their drivers and something I sorely missed since moving to my Radeon 4870.

As for the the rest of your assumptions and demands you should probably wait on confirmation from people that actually use AMD hardware before getting your panties in a bunch.
    Dear me, they're out in force now.

Is there someone we're missing so far?

Look people, why not just let go of your dicks, try and keep a lid on the frothing-at-the-mouth fanboyism and wait on confirmation from people that actually know what they're talking about. If AMD has indeed degraded IQ quality then I'm sure you'll get your moment of glory and justification in the end.

If not, well you won't look more foolish than usual.

Regardless of AMD having reduced image quality or not it seems quite obvious that it can't be all that noticeable since this is the first time we hear about it. People like crying bloody murder about every single driver release regardless of using AMD or NVIDIA hardware so if there were any consistent and obvious image quality degradation it would surely have been reported by users long before this.

Add me to the list of people who haven't noticed any difference and feel free to keep your opinions on whether or not that makes me delusional to yourselves.

Finally I feel I should mention that there's a reason hardware reviews frequently make comparisons of image quality between different vendors. There's been a very long time since I've seen a review claim, or myself noticed, any noticeable differences though. Bar bugs, obviously.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Morbias, you have to understand where gabrielsans is coming from. I think I would feel similarly bitter and be an Nvidia hatemonger had I a similar GPU history as his, ie, MX400, FX5200, 8600gs, etc. I'm pretty sure the 4870 would have been revolutionary to me and would have made me an ATI diehard fanboy myself. ;)

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    said it better than i could +100000

i have to say gabriel sans banning seems a bit harsh. but his tone was a bit cheeky, but a ban? i guess if he was warned...

seems a bit sad a thread can degenerate into this when actually it's nothing short of rumour imho.

12. morbias

GPU:
    -
    You didn't see the PMs he sent me, let's just say I don't respond well to threats.

Really, I'm getting sick of the constant trolling by the same people in every single thread.

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Being a fanboy or talking about products is fine. It's his attitude that's the problem.

14. MLS

MLS Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850
    I don't see any mention of 10.3 at all in that article. Where do they say this issue was introduced in 10.3? Or is this just spin the OP tossed in?

Second, if I understand this translation right, this only happens with trilinear filtering and not ansiotropic. ATI has had some filtering problems lately with their drivers, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is something related.

The Nvidia image definitely looks better, though.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    first off the tranlation is hard on the eyes
    maybe a bug perhaps in a few games?
    it should not be hard to tell aniso to bilinear in ss's i dont think
    sorry if this thread got anyone all huffy puffy,it should not have.
    maybe i over dramatised the matter(i always do that in the news section)but if you got banned that just goes to show ya
    this has nothig to do with nv at all,nowhere in this thread should they be mentioned.
    some say its ok thats fine,but its a wierd thing to build up a driver for a competators launch that would negate in anyway the QI of the card
    is it a big deal if true maybe not, is it a possiblity maybe.

btw if it was a fast ati card i used it so thats a non issue.

16. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    :thumbup:

17. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    lol what a bunch of crap......and just think the other day I was taking screenies in nfs shift because it looks so damn good.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    if you dont have a clue i'll try to point you in the right direction

when you set 16xaf the driver forces a mix of bi linear and tri linear texture filtering.not what you would want if you applied x16 af would make textures bland and blury plus it would be easier for the card to run,
    not to mention some flickering

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Tbh its getting tiresom. its like hearing "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke for the 1.000.000th time.
    can only see it getting worse over the year. all this for JUST a freakin' videocard . :(

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ATI did the same thing with their Radeon 7000 series at that time. Those were basically re-branded Radeon DDR/SDR cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.