ATI Cross fire, on SLi Motherboard

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gurdeep1987, Jan 18, 2007.

1. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified Hydro
    hey all,
    ok, i purchased a pc from MESH, and the motherboard is a
    `ASUS A8N-SLI PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX'
    it has 2 slots for SLi, and the motherboad has a Nvidia chipset
    the computer came with a
    `512MB ATI Radeon X1600 Pro' graphics card
    i was thinking of upgrading,as the processor on this graphics card isnt that good, though the 512MB of DDR2 is great.
    By using the exisiting card, but also inserting another 512MB ATI Radeon X1600 Pro into the other slot on the motherboard.
    But on the motherboard, in between the graphics cards slots, there is a, was i presume is a jumper of some sort, with SLi written on it.
    Would it be combatiable if i bought another 512MB ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, and put it into the second graphics card slot.
    Seeing as it has a SLi jumper thing, and ATI use crossfire.
    or should i just sell this graphics card and just buy a better one?

any help much appericated
    thanks

2. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    You can't use crossfire on an SLi mobo, or vice versa, sorry. If you're unhappy with your video card's performance and have the money, by all means get one, theough the X1600 Pro isn't too bad.

3. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    oh ok, thats that idea gone.
    any idea why they would supply me with a ATI Graphics card, then give me a motherboard which cant support Crossfire, rather stupid idea.

so, should i sell this graphics card, and just go for another ATI, or go to Nvidia, seeing as it leaves more options open to me if i need to upgrade later on.
    Any suggestions of what kind of graphics cards?

thanks

4. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Not sure why they would do it, probably saves them some cash somehow.

Well, what you have now is good enough to play most new games at fair settings. If you really want more performance, you could wait untill the new 8600 series comes out, but that's just what I'd do, unless you have a ton of cash for an 8800 or something, or you could wait till ATi releases their new flagship in a few months. Up to you really.

5. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    so, you think i should stick to ATI rather than Nvidia?
    im looking for a medium range graphics card, like the one i had, i dont mind if it has less RAM, just a better processor.

what would the dream graphics card to buy? i have a load of money from my student loan, which keeps adding up, cause i havent spend a penny yet, thinking of blowing it on a graphics card, willing to spend around £300

which is better ATI's, or Nvidia?

any suggestions?

6. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    You could buy an X1900 XTX or X1950 XTX on that budget, or the (slightly) more affordable 512Mb version of those same cards as there is not that much of a difference between the XT and XTX. You should hold off purchase of a DX10 card at least until competing cards arrive on the market, plus there is no DX10 game out yet worth the massive expense. Some even say DX10 will perform poorly on XP so we should wait until the official Vista launch God knows when. There are no 79xx series cards from nVidia that can outperform the 19xx XT(X).

Edit: I meant to write "...or the (slightly) more affordable 512Mb XT version of those same cards..." as there are no 256Mb version of the XTX. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  7. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    i thought that dx10 was exclusive to Vista...*confused*

8. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    i see you have a ATI Radeon X1900 XT, how does it run?
    my current card, while playing battlefield 2, at 1440 x 900 60hz, with anti-aliasing at X6 and antisotropic filtering at X16, basically everything maxed out on catalyst control, and the ingame rendering on full, is a bit choppy at for the first 10 seconds :(
    what happens on yours, if you've tried that game?

i was thinking of getting X2 nVIDIA 7800 GTX Graphics cards in SLi which totals up to 512MB GDDR3

per graphics card it will have

Memory Interface 256-bit
    Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 54.4
    Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 13.2
    Vertices/Second (Millions) 1100
    Pixels per clock (peak) 24
    RAMDACs (MHz) 400

and i dont think ill go to direct X10, and esspecially not vista, looks way to graphics intense and lke its going to drain my CPU like mad, thats not what a OS is supposed to do lol

tell me what you think of the nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX x 2 idea, thanks

9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yes, DX10 is exclusive to Vista, its not gonna be available to XP.

10. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Two 7800 GTXs' in SLi aren't really worth it IMO. Currently the best card money can buy is the 8800 GTX, but like I said, if you're not a super-heavy gamer, you're probably better off waiting for the 8600 GT/Ultra/Whatever they call it which should be coming in a month or two, and will probably offer kickass performance for a great price. And by then ATi's offering will probably be avalable too, so it'll be a nice time to be buying a graphics card.

11. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    thanks for confirming :).

to the OP:

afaik, Crossfire is not possible on SLi boards, however, SLi IS possible on some Crossfire boards i believe; with my board, for example, SLi is possible with hacked drivers. It has been done before.

(yay! 300 posts! lol)

12. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    ok, should i leave my current graphics card as it is, and just buy some more RAM, this is more expensive, thats why iv just stuck with my current RAM
    its standard, so i have no idea who manufactured it or anything.
    also, if i add more RAM, is it not best to make sure all the RAM is the same, so id have to sell my current RAM, and buy a few exactly same sticks.

recomendations?

13. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
  14. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    i have no idea how much i should be expecting to spend

i wouldnt mind £200 for 2GB, or am i crazy for expecting that, for that price?

what are the timings? i have no idea what that means

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  15. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    forget my link regarding newegg: it was a link to both DDR2 and DDR memory and it looks like u need DDR (184-pin)

16. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    yeah thanks for that, i didnt look at it properly before i sent a reply, sorry

so, can anyone summerise what timings mean? and buffered/unbuffered ?
    thanks

17. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
  18. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    don't worry about buffered memory; iirc only servers, or something along those lines, use buffered memory.

19. gurdeep1987

gurdeep1987 Member

GPU:
    thanks for all your help so far :)

and what voltage is better, lower, or higher?

thanks again

20. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    There are rumors that if Vista is further delayed some back-port to XP may be released. Since DX10 was never meant for XP such a half-assed version would certainly not perform as it would in its intended OS environment. Knowing that further last-minute delays in the release of the new OS are a definite possibility I see no reason to buy a DX10 ready card any time soon, especially when prices are skyrocketing for lack of competition. Ever wonder why ATi appears to be in little rush to launch the R600? It could well be that now that ATi and AMD have consumated their marriage ATi is just as privy to Microsoft's "secrets" as AMD and Intel are, by necessity. There is no reason why Microsoft would have to share development info to the same extent with a graphics card manufacturer as it has to with a CPU designer therefore ATi may know something nVidia doesn't, or at least did not know prior to the release of DX10 ready cards.