ati catalyst 9.3 beta info

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zer0_c0ol, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Come on man. Absolutely not a constructive comment. Make a point, don't sound like a douche.

2. |Ano|

|Ano| Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX560Ti Twin FrozR II
    lol, it's so much fun to read the fanboyism in this thread.
    Yes Nvidia has the most powerful card atm, can we stop this **** now?

Do you really think ATi suck so hard? it's ok, but plz dont ruin the thread.

(Yes, you know who you are)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    from now on ATI FTW!!YAyyyy!

4. oz.iri.zo

oz.iri.zo Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 4870 1GB
    Just thinking about...

Yeah, surely Nvidia now has the upper hand on quality and performance BUT:

1 It's more expensive

2 ATI is again over Nvidia on technology development. They already have 40 nm vcards, so, it's a matter of time for them to get another ass kicking vcard, for an afordable price. It will surely force Nvidia to cut down prices and to develop something else.

3 With this world's crisis, there's someting really important that ATI seems to see clear and Nvidia doesn't: We have no money! Really, if this goes on, who's going to buy a Nvidia vcard when you can buy something cheaper, and in the best of cases, even better vcard? I'm not against technology, but ATI is a revolutionary company too, and it doesn't need to rise their product prices to the ones Nvidia has.

4 Unlike Nvidia, ATI has a lot of important partners, clients, etc. Nvidia doesn't (or unless, it's not ok with AMD/ATI, Intel, VIA, etc). So, in a world that depends more and more on alliances, what is going to happen if Nvidia keeps losing money? Let's remember that this wouldn't be the first vcard manufacturing/designing company that just vanishes on the air (I don't want that, to have options is always better, I'm no fanboy, I'm just fine right now with my ATI card)

About the 9.3 I hope they improve more and more, to be honest, I think the 9.1 worked better for me than the 9.2

5. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Used to use Nvidia exclusively but I have changed and here's why, I prefer ATI's Drivers. Nvidia drivers have been crap with the hardware I have run them with pulling down Vista/Win 7 when the going got tough. I am sick of having to 1 finger salute Nvidia Hardware when it brings the OS to a screeching halt.

Since moving to ATI I have never had any display driver hard locking my OS. If there is a problem then the drivers bow out gracefully and reload.

With Windows 7 I have nothing but smooth sailing with ATI and their drivers as supplied through Windows Update. Crysis Wars, GRID, COD 4/5 and Mass Effect run really well at the res I want and detail. Nvidia can sod off for all I care as I am tired of being a constant beta tester for their drivers. Who'd have though 4- 5 years ago that they'd go this way but, that's what happens. If ATI start screwing me around I might look at Nvidia again but I don't forsee that for quite some time.

6. NvidiaRox

NvidiaRox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
    If you haven't payed attention, it seems that there is a recurring cycle in which leading graphics cards (ATI and Nvidia) have their pros and cons. Different cards work better on different motherboards and with different games. The amount of scrutiny that you have divulged in seems completely unnecessary.

And LedHead, you made your point Nvidia is the bomb... who cares... Let everyone like their own brand and stop arguing. Who gives a S#$@ whos better? Where does that get you. Its easy to spin anything a million different ways to prove a point. Get an ATI card if you want more bang for the buck, get Nvidia if you have the cash to spend. End of story.

I don't get why people will go to the end to argue their way for why one brand is better than the other... Its all biased anyway.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    thank u very much,i made a driver topic which turned into a ati-nvidia flame war

8. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I stopped using nVidia hardware at home. With every driver revision, my drivers would perform slowly worse and worse. It was like they were telling me my GPU had reached the end of it's lifetime or something. If I used older drivers, it would be just as stable and 33% faster. My ATi cards haven't had that problem yet.

It will be interesting to see how the nVidia 2xx's benchmark next year...

[edit: sorry Zer0 - can't wait for these 9.3's :p ]

9. Derman

Derman New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 4850 512DDR3
    CCC 9.3 will fix the DXVA bug?

Releases 8.12, 9.1 and 9.2 don't work DXVA in WinXP.

10. NvidiaRox

NvidiaRox Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280
    Lol, yeah its easy to happen especially if you are passionate about your favorite brand etc.. Im excited for whatever improvement any of the companies can make. I pretty much like all of the manufacturers out there. I have stocks in AMD but ill still use Nvidia products... look at my name for Gods sake haha!

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    NVIDIA recommends you only update your drivers if you are having issues, as the newer drivers are geared towards the newer cards, not older models. 90% of people with 6/7 Series cards aren't running 180 Series drivers, most of them stuck with 178.** You act like NVIDIA forces you to update the driver to every beta, when they actually do the opposite by warning you a lot about using betas.

However back on topic, I also look forward to what these 9.3 cats will bring, as I still have two 4850's sitting behind me and if drivers fix performance/stability issues with 4850 CF w/ Vista x64 then I can get a better price out of them.

Here's hoping to a good release and avoiding the cursed hype of 9.1

12. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    Actually, it was OS that made me update. Hell, even Windows update was forcing it on me, so sorry to phail your posting. Obviously I was using 81.98 under XP, but Vista Forceware was pathetic performance. However, If I hacked the inf, I could get XP 81.98 to perform better -with Aero too. Sorry, but you are incorrect. I didn't update nVidia drivers very often on my home PC. My 6800 card was also certified for Vista...

I will update to the latest Catalyst 9.3 however. I don't really care if nVidia say "don't update unless you have an issue" because my games all say "update to latest graphics driver". Ok? Glad we cleared that up.

:smack:

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    all the best to ya and your cf setup :p

14. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well to be fair, you posted that bench to make a point, that 295 gtx with "AA" on was superior to the 4870x2 by a great deal.

Now when faced with the fact, the benchmark was kinda worthless since it compared appels to pears ( more or less ) and not done with an objective point of view. Running ATI cards on supersampling modes and then running nvidida cards on multisampling, is basically fraudulent when you present a benchmark as a test result for the masses to look at and judge wich card performs best in x y z game.

I agree with you though the 295gtx is faster then 4870x2 when it comes to games that generally already, on both brands push over 100 FPS.. wich for around 45% of the people using vsynch makes no sense ( seems to be around 45% that always use Vsync on ), since they are limited to 60 fps already.

For me it was all down to price, I got a 4870x2 for less then one single 280 gtx at the time, and that was a deal I couldn't beat. If I could have gotten a 295 gtx at the same price or near, I would have gone with that one :)

15. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    apples to pears, well @2560x1600, NV can't touch my 2 4870x2's in crossfire. Am I wrong, NV rocks at lower resolutions, ATI at higher resolutions.

16. Bojcha

Bojcha Active Member

GPU:
    many
    yeah ..
    my (now dead) 4870 512mb had 90-120fps in cod wat .. on those bnchmarks .. it's not like that

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Haha this is just too easy to resist, here is all 2560x1600 benches:

Also 2x 4870X2 scales horribly, a lot of the time a single 4870X2 is just as fast or even faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3498&p=7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now who wants to tell me one of the oldest and most reputable review sites on the internet is BS on their benches?

Keep in mind 2560x1600 is where the 295 is supposed to get choked by it's 128Mb less of VRAM....:infinity:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  18. doomangel

doomangel Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB
    Hey guys!How are you.Nice talk you have here. it reminds the OLD debates between nVidia and 3dfx owners. Some of us are Geeks or Power Users or whatever, we like to buy the latest CPU's, GPU's and so on. Well, from this point of view Core i7 and nVidia GTX295 are better BUT, who wants to spend a load of money for these when you can buy similar (and in some cases superior) performance with more that half of the price? AMD has realized that and it offers rocking products for fair prices while at the same time nVidia and/or Intel trying to steel from us and to be more specific, this 9800/GT240 case is a shame, just to renaming your product and to sell as new.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    What do you think the RV790 release is? It's a rename just like NVIDIA has been doing...

They increase clock speeds, change the name and then BAM some people believe it's a new product.

20. doomangel

doomangel Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB
    Dude, from 4870 to 4890 even the dumber understands that it is a small improvement to the card. Like from 4850 to 4870. nVidia could just name it 9850+ or anything else. This 2xx naming indicates or tries to fool buyers that it is from the new series 260/280.