ati catalyst 8.5 final available now!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Gameslove, May 21, 2008.

1. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    The actual cuase as I have recieved a pm from VF is the Drivers when hooked to HDTV through both HDMI and DVI to HDMI some resolutions disable crossfire or cuase artifacts or both. The drivers used to work flawlessly with crossfire and HDTV's accross multiple resolutions but now only works in native resolutions and has taken steps backwards with new driver releases. With more and more people using thier HDTV's as moniters hopefully the problem will be resolved. With Vista the problem is not appearent at all but XP will only enable crossfire correctly in TV's native resolution

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    One other thing I would like to note that this problem has persisted on each release of hardware since the X1800 XT and driver version 7.4 and above. Drivers 7.3 and below enabled crossfire on any resolution under windows XP without any issue's at all.

3. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I installed 8.5 yesterday, and as you said wait for vertical refresh was on 'unless app specifies'. I loaded up oblivion and encountered flickering, so I put the slider to off (far left) and flickering vanashed! Buggy or what?

4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Here's another bug I confirmed with CrossFire for CounterStrike Source under XP Pro SP3, and only happens with CS:S.

I had something similar like this with TF2 last year.

If CrossFire is enabled with CS:S, this happens after the loading part lower right on the CS:S screen as it crashes back to the desktop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deactivate CrossFire, I can get to the menus no crashes. It is reproducible.

It's a real pity that not one driver seems to be working as it should. You go to one driver version, one two three whatever games are sorted but another has issues. Go to another version where one is broken another is fixed. Sacrifice one to save another. :(

The shocking thing is how long this corruption problem has been going on with QuakeWars. Ticket started 10/14/2007, Work In Progress to this day. It had been going on many many months before that, it was just before last June until I decided to open a ticket with AMD/ATI support. I could no longer put up with it.

If only I could get a driver that works with all my stuff I'd be 100% happy and leave it with that set. Sadly everytime I update ***hoping*** it's fixed, it is not. Another month goes by and so on. More waiting...

If only the driver's were as good as 6.12 to 7.4, where there was no screen corruption. The only problem as I said QuakeWars had invisible players/objects/vehicles. Which was quite cool on it's own because you could see people on rooftops and inside buildings as they both shimmer. Though sometimes it was so bad you couldn't see anyone or anything on the map but just deserted land, as they were all invisible. The guns were most of the time in sight. It was also funny as they were driving the huskies. Sometimes see it with just a gun floating about. Just like Memoirs of the Invisible Man. ¬_¬

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've just come across this -
    [​IMG]
    In case it's too small to read, I have two options for 'Choose from the following Render GPU combinations :
    3 GPUs (0 2 4)
    2 GPUs (0 2)
    What the heck is this? Which should I choose?:3eyes:

6. TestDriver

TestDriver Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti, C49HG90
  7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That's two GPU's on one card right, hence X2 so... you have two of those cards, yes? I'd say the setting "3 GPUs (0 2 4)" as you'll have 4 GPU's, two on each PCB.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Ya know, vf, that makes a lot of sense, thanks! I'll leave it at 3 GPUs (0 2 4) then....

9. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Just a little update, I see AMD/ATI has marked my CrossFire screen corruption problems with Quake Wars from 30Hz to 60Hz as Resolved. CS:S problem as well. :D

So there is hope!, but I doubt it'll make it in the next release since it was only marked up on June 10. I'd imagine my fixes will probably be in Catalyst 8.7. This'll be great if its truly fixed.

10. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Well, seeing as how I only have one board, I can't really dig into multi-GPU kits, but it would seem to me, that multi-gpu setups would function somewhat like RAID 0 setups, or quad-core CPU's...At least on a basic programming level.

As for the RMA, it was done last week, and I finally figured out all the little quirks with Vista 64 this week, so now things are very smooth (with 8.5)...

My old board was kaput, came from a bad-batch that HIS made of the 3870 Turbo's...They fixed me up inside a week (once HIS actually put me in touch with the right guys at their RMA center, seems to be a bit of confusion between HIS and their US-based service people)...

Now, old games don't run well, especially a few that I have used to program new games from (take the concept of game modding/total conversions, then take it so far that the original game vanishes after enough work, and that's what I've ended up with), but this is an old issue that has existed since the X1950 boards were replaced by the HD-model boards...The X1950's were the very last boards that ran old games worth a f*ck.

So, I just re-built my old game-dev machine, and I run it akimbo when I have to...It's also not an AGP or PCI-E issue, since both PCI-E and AGP X1950 boards work the same way with really old games/apps...Damn odd, but I guess that's the price to be paid for 'progress'...

If you have very odd issues that may not SEEM driver-related, just RMA, because worst-case, you'd be out like $15 for shipping your board back (if it's not borked)...Drivers almost never cause rendering errors, pixelation, or green spots showing up all over your monitor. That is always a cause of a bad GPU board, either the GPU is hosed, or the RAM is hosed, or the blasted circuits were not soldered properly, it could be anything.

Drivers don't cause those colored speckles, those errors are always caused by heat build-up, and/or improper voltage to the video board in question, both can be caused by any number of problems ranging from a poor PSU all the way out to someone putting the wrong circuit-cap on a solder-point...

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Define old... 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? 7 years?

I assume you're talking to me? and if so apparently you did not read my final outcome from the above posts with this issue... and as I previously stated, try and get 1950XTX's RMA'd and have the same replacements now. Even where I bought them they no longer have them available. It's near impossible to this day. Plus I have no intention of buying new cards.

For the past 5 - 8 months, maybe longer from AMD/ATI's release notes they have listed several times each month of Quake Wars suffering screen corruption.

I'm not going to explain it all again, as it's already from the above posts. This IS driver related, and it's a Windows XP problem. Not a Vista problem. As I dual boot, where CrossFire works fine under Vista, but I keep XP for any gaming needs. Perhaps others don't have these issues because perhaps not many have CrossFire 1950's setup's now. Most here seem to be on 3xxx series or heading towards the 4xxx eventually. Perhaps most here are on Vista for their gaming needs now. Or if they even play Quake Wars now, if it was a hardware issue as you claim why are my other games not having these issues, but only Quake Wars... when it can be cured running Quake Wars at 30Hz, since Quake Wars has hissy fits at 60Hz.

12. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Ok, ok, sorry...

I wasn't reading the entire thread before I went and posted...

As far as 'old', those particular apps were first coded in 1998, so yeah, that's old ;)

As far as your prob, well, I do not like to hear that you're stuck (I know what RMA'ing old hardware can be like, it's normally best to hit Amazon dealers or ebay to try and obtain a replacement, or if that fails, see if *ANY* of your local PC hardware dealers (even the bottom-rate PC repair joints that look more like car chop-shops than PC hardware repair places) might have one hanging around.

When I got desperate to try and get a new 3.4Ghz P4 (northwood), that was 533Mhz bus, well, eventually I had to strip-mine my entire city before I eventually found a guy who dealt specifically with old hardware.

It's really not that much removed from vintage car rebuilding, eventually when you want a working replacement part for a part that is several years dated, you'll have to start getting desperate, or you'll have to get new gear.

13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Alaric Kell, You're still not reading the crucial points here. This is not a hardware fault that you claim. Look back at the symptoms.

As far as Quake Wars is concerned, it only came out last September.

Apparently this is rocket science. :rollseyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  14. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    These are not WHQL........

15. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Not WHQL? I've installed 8.5 on XP Pro and Vista 64 SP1...

Never ONCE, did I get a box informing me they were un-signed non-WHQL drivers...Care to explain that one?