ati catalyst 8.5 final available now!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Gameslove, May 21, 2008.

1. klanjsek

klanjsek Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD 5870 900/1250
    I noticed fps drop in race driver grid and no improvement elsewhere:3eyes:...well back to 8.4.
    :vader:

2. Wu-TanG

Wu-TanG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6970 DirectCU II
    The only pos thing are for me:
    - Higher FPS in CoD4
    - Less screen shaking in games (still happening some times)

3. GoBBeLs

GoBBeLs New Member

Seems to work fine. I've only tested with hellgate and some other games. I can't really feel any difference...
    But 3.4 drivers the didn't revert to the original resolution on my comp for some reason and that's fixed so...

4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Thats the default setting, that the same setting was happening in that video. :s

I tried switching the slider to off, all 4 notches tested. Same problem So I tried the default again and off with Force 24-bit Z-buffer depth checked under 3D more settings. It improved it. It was a perfectly clear picture, then green noise sparklies just like noise started appearing on the screen that I'll show in this video and then the screen starts jumping about again. :/

Sadly YouTube butchers the quality as you can no longer see the green speckles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moOhUOo4dhk

5. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Active Member

Can you please elaborate? I'm just curious because my 3850 is not as sharp in 2D as my previous cards.

6. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    VF I Dare to say that one of your cards may be fualty have you ran them both seperatly but even then you might not be able to tell for sure. I had X1800 XT X1900 XT and HD 3870 XT also HD 3870 X2all in crossfire one my X1800 XT's. I had a bad card I also had similiar results. But some games did not have the same effect. It was the crossfire edition composting chip (it's the chip that puts the images together) which went bad and it is why in single card mode it was not appearent but was in crossfire. If this only displays in this game I would find other users that run these cards in crossfire to see if they have this issue if not it might be what I described above.

Hope this help and good luck

7. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    I finally got round to reinstalling KOTOR 1 the other day, works no problems at all on my rig, I am currently using 8.3, will try installing 8.5 soon.

8. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I noticed almost double FPS rates in some levels of Call of Duty 4 i wonder why ATI makes this improvement so late when the game is more than 6 month old.

9. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
    You say that once you get force speed and see the amazing graphical corruption it generates unless you turn off frame buffer effects altogether. It's been broken ever since 7.12 and acknowledged by everyone on either Bioware and Obsidian forums.

The desktop brightness bug I've been complaining about since 7.12 is that whenever I launch a D3D game (doesn't happen with OGL) and close the game, the drivers completely forget about my previous settings for desktop use (I'm using winXP). I have my brightness setting at -15 for desktop and defaults at zero for 3D applications, but whenever the game exits it resets to zero and I have to manually open CCC or force ATT to reload the color settings so my liking.

The most annoying about this situation is that I've been e-mailing ATI about these issues:

7.12 -> emailed ATI, automatic response, no fix;
    8.1 -> emailed ATI, automatic response, no fix;
    8.2 -> emailed ATI, automatic response, no fix;
    8.3 -> emailed ATI, automatic response, no fix;
    8.4 -> emailed ATI, automatic response, no fix;

I'm basically stuck with 7.11 since it's the last working driver for these games and ATI just doesn't seen to care. I'm using a x1950pro btw.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I can tell you its not the cards, because I don't have this issue under Windows Vista 32bit currently. ATI had it fixed once with 7.12 under XP when they were released as I was testing them with Quakewars to see. I had it playing fine for weeks, but between SP3 and Quakewars patches things change, and going back to the previous working driver it no longer works again.

Even with the Quakewars open beta long long time ago, every driver from 6.12 to 7.4 worked perfectly as well with any game. Then from 7.5 onwards under XP things changed (which you see currently.) So I went back to the working set, yes it worked fine with other games, but Quakewars had issues once it became retail with 6.12 to 7.4 between corruption and flickering objects/players vehicles.

That green speckle look as well as the screen jumping about is identical to the times when the players/vehicles/objects were flickering as they were invisible.

Currently hooked up with a HDMI to DVI cable. Not that it would make any difference to DVI to DVI. As I have also tested, the same symptoms happen.

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    vf, I've seen green speckles like you'd described, I'd originally though it was driver issue, or one of my cards was dying on me. Turned out to be neither, it was due to my having DVI and HDMI plugged into my monitor (Benq FP241W which has HDMI/DVI/component inputs) at the same time. It caused some sort of glitch resulting in the green speckle. It was apparent in 2D mode, but vanishes when I play a game. It's possible I'd not plugged in the HDMI plug firmly into the HDMI input on the monitor as this should not happen. The moment I'd unplugged the HDMI cable, I get a perfectly gorgeous screen. Do you have another device plugged into your monitor?

12. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Yeah, the Playstation 3 that is also connected via HDMI to slot 2, but it's off when the PC is on, slot 1.

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Same here, my PS3 wasn't switched on when I'm using my PC. Unplug it and see if these green speckles go away.

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I wonder why it would interfere though. Any idea?

I had been testing with it still plugged in but not powered on. I had to change the refresh rate to 30Hz recommended as a test by Redawgc187. It's all cleared up. I restored it back to 60Hz, problems returned. Changed it again to 30Hz then changed it back to 60Hz from the main display part within CCC. So far *touch wood* the picture quality is just like as if I was running single card. Crystal clear. What's weird is the same settings remain as is if I had just done a fresh install of the drivers. There must be an intermittent problem, or interference, either with the drivers or my setup. I don't know which, but currently things seem to be A OK with CrossFire... so far. I'll still have to keep testing. I think there is gremlins involved.

15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I've not had any problem running my system with CFX enabled, 2D PQ is excellent.....it's gaming where I have issues sometimes. I'd recently shifted my 360 and PS3 to my gaming desk area, that's when I'd noticed this green speckle artifact. I guessed correctly that the HDMI signal was somehow crossed with my DVI signal, causing this artifact. It's crystal clear now w/o the HDMI connected. I don't understand why this is happening though, but I'll check with the techeads at the Benq Service Center to see if they know anything about this. Hope you have better luck with your rig though....

16. poscs

poscs Member

GPU:
    HD 6870 now R9 290
    You :rock: That procedure worked. I have had problems with CCC starting at Windows boot up beginning with the 8.4's -8.5, with the full driver packages.

17. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Wow!

Thanks for posting about PS3 issues, guys. Fortunately I run DVI-D and/or Component, rather than HDMI, but this is great stuff to know about, as I was just about to buy the PS3 (my old PS2 slim-line is starting to bug-out on me, disc spindle is too old and does not spin worth a sh*t)...

18. Alaric Kell

Alaric Kell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFGTech GTX 280 OC-2
    Ah damn, forgot to comment on the last page...

Yeah, vf, you should really think about RMA for your board. I had a faulty 3870 board <----, and it's still in RMA limbo.

My X1950 Pro 256MB AGP (the VisionTek one without temp. sensors or fan control, ugh!), seems to work just fine with the 8.4 AGP hotfix driver...

Sometimes, you end up with a DOA board, everyone makes mistakes now and again, and it's especially common with assembly factories. I worked in a few when I was younger, and I almost never botched-up a work order, but I've seen other guys on the assembly lines that did screw up, and though I hated to do it, I had to report it because I know what that sort-of thing can do for customer relations.

All it takes is about 5 or so people who get botched products, bad-mouthing the company they bought from, and then the company gets enough bad-press, and you know what that can lead to, in a real hurry.

HIS makes good cards, it was just my bad luck, that I ended up with one that was f*cked. Of course, I've seen many posts on Techpowerup and other places, where people with my board and many other 3870 boards, did not have proper BIOS code, and so the fans would never spin-up when the board got hotter, and there would be other BIOS-related problems at times.

It's led to a lot of BIOS corruption problems with 3870 owners, so a lot of companies now have to take care of a LOT of RMA's because of corrupted no-boot video BIOS stuff.

Sometimes, I feel like killing anyone connected with certain companies, then other times I rationalize it by realizing that everyone makes mistakes on the assembly lines, sometimes...

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    If the board's giving artifacts, BSOD and the like, and if it's possible, have it checked by the techies in the service center. My 2x HD 2900XT's crashed on me when I was playing a game, opened the side panel and detected a burnt silicon smell.....one was totally dead while the other's on its last leg. I suspect the fan had malfunctioned, or wasn't spinning fast enough to cool the cards. I RMA'd those suckas and boy, did it take a looooooong time!:puke2:

It was checked by the local techies who could not resolve the problem, then it was sent to PC in Taiwan for further checks and verification that ithey were beyond salvaging. Got a call recently from the distibuter of PC cards who gave me two options -
    1. Get two 3870's as replacement for the 29's
    2. Get an X2 as replacement

I chose the latter as I've made arrangements to sell off the PC X2 in my rig, will replace with the new X2 (with the improved cooler) in a day or two. Fortunately for me, although this RMA was resolved nicely, it took a long time but I was able to run my 2nd rig simply becoz I have a spare 7950 GX2 lying around. I intend to score a cheap 9600GT (the 3870's still too expensive in my neck of the wood) and use it for my 2nd gaming/HTPC rig.

Recently, my PC X2 seemed to be crapping out on me, so I dropped by the service center to have it looked at. They verified that it was working just fine, so I plugged it in and, much to my surprise, it seemed to be working just fine. I never found out what had caused the problem in the first place. In my neck of the wood, some brands are carried by a single distributer and they usually have a service center where we can drop by to have hardware looked at. Just like my MSI X2 which seemed to be developing a fan problem, the card was working fine but the noise that the fan made had me worried. I called the local distributer of MSI hardware and spoke to the distributer himself, he assured me that I'd have a replacement card ready for exchange the very next day, and it went ahead w/o any hassle. Now, that's excellent service! :thumbup:

Damn, just realized my post is pretty long.....I guess a bit of Aleric Kell's rubbing off on me.:3eyes:

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    See, this is the thing that puzzles me. How could it be faulty when it works with certain drivers, but having other problems that was known with QuakeWars for invisible players/objects/buildings and vehicles flickering that was also known to ATI before the screen corruption started. After they rectified that a long time ago the invisible players/buildings vehicles etc, then screen corruption that was introduced from 7.4 and newer. As any driver worked fine from 6.12 to 7.4. Screen corruption was fixed again from 7.12, game patches were added things were changed. Had to update drivers since game patches and SP3 was applied to XP. Whether or not it is related I don't know, but there's an intermittent problem with the software, I'm 100% sure. As I can cure it between switching refresh rates for QuakeWars.

Even still, getting an RMA would be impossible for my cards now. Or rather having them replaced. It would be even worse that they were sent back and its not a hardware problem. Nobody could replace them. X1950XTX-CF & or X1950XTX, had these since Christmas 06. If this was truly a broken card, it would be happening with every driver. Don't you think? :)
    It would be great if I could go back to those working drivers, but where one bug is fixed the old bugs show up.

However, something I thought was related to what me and mikeysg discussed about the PS3 also connected via HDMI to the display. After it was unplugged, no corruption, crystal clear picture. What I don't get is why another HDMI plugged into the back of the display would effect it, since its not even switched on...

Wouldn't you agree if it was faulty hardware, this would be happening all the time? Currently testing it right now with no screen corruption...

So then it came back. So QuakeWars screen corruption isn't related to the second HDMI connection. Here's the puzzler. Why is TF2/HL2, MotoGP URT3 and a few other games displaying fine at 60Hz, no corruption but QuakeWars is having issues with it. QuakeWars will only display fine at 30Hz or lower. Sometimes it works ok at 60Hz, but the problem eventually comes back. Would you not agree that this is a driver issue not a hardware problem for QuakeWars alone? Would I not be having the same problem across all games if it was hardware related? Maybe it's an OpenGL problem with the 19xx CF series under QuakeWars? Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

These issues don't happen under Vista the last time I checked when I booted into Vista 4 - 6 weeks back when I tested it for days. I believe I'm still running Catalyst 8.3 under Vista.