ATi Catalyst 8-451-2-080108a + 8.451-071220a

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Phyxion, Feb 7, 2008.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I can read just fine ty. That is how i can SEE that they are the same drivers...

Also just because they are dated back in december does not mean they are older. They are actually a Jan 28th set of drivers, but ATI just used the WHQL set instead. They were supposed to launch officially but did not. So in actuallity the drivers have a build date of Jan28th. The drivers you have posted are actually older being dated jan 23rd. They do not have Xfire support.

I will repeat myself just to make it clear. The xfire drivers for the HD 3870 X2 on HIS website are actually the NEWEST set available. Dated Jan28th, but the official Cat 8.1 WHQL's were used, so the date did NOT change. They kept the WHQL logo for a reason, to make sure driver installations went smoothly. Nvidia has done the same thing in the past, did a quick fix to a driver and kept the same date.

I dont care if the HIS website is slow or not, point is the driver there is the NEWEST and most STABLE you can use untill official Cat 8.2 or w/e it will be called comes later in the month.

Problem is there are so many threads with the SAME thing in them in multiple areas, we should try to keep everything to one thread.

@NvidiaFreak

Not sure but i think your problem definately lies in your CPU. I can play LostPlanet @1680x1050 at 60FPS vsync DX10 with everything maxed with 2xaa and 16xAF. This is with the drivers from HIS website for the HD 3870 X2.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Well, they dont support CrossFire X anyway.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Uhh yes they do im using them. They support CrossFire X perfectly fine. In fact any other driver would not even see the other GPU etc untill I installed these drivers. Performance still has a way to go, and that is what the next official set will be for.

4. Frenchlick

Frenchlick Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 /32"LCD
    You would also only get 60fps with vsync on because it caps at 60fps when on in every game.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Thats the whole point, and exactly what im aiming for. The closest solid 60FPS experience I can get. Future driver sets will only improve upon performance...its the whole idea.

6. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Then your system seems the only system, I heard from more people that it doesn't work at all.

7. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I hope we get a performance boost with the next set, specifically for crossfire users without losing IQ. I doubt it however, yet its possible ati realise improving crossfire might be their best chance of staying in the gpu market atm.

I hope they improve the ease of o/c also, but I doubt that.

8. arfster

arfster Member

Standard 8.1 issues with these: enabling a secondary display breaks hardware acceleration on both (needs reboot to fix), and vector-adaptive deinterlacing is disabled for HD.

9. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    I haven't got that problem, so it might be a problem on your end.

10. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    That is exactly what I though previously. The hot-fix has the size of a typical display driver installer package. But it did not work the way for me as you described it :(

I am waiting for 8.2 and will walk through the registry to make sure that there is as little left of any old driver as possible. I have installed almost everything - ATI and Omega drivers - to get AGP working. Chances are it is all just one big mess now :(. Why do I not feel any love when it comes to drivers? I did pay for it, did I not?

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Thanks, I tried this driver and it seem to be recognized, but I ain't sure CFX is working though as it seems to score about the same in '06. Here's a screenshot to prove that it's shown in Device Manager -
    [​IMG]

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Right, the driver does work but performance isnt anything special yet. That is what I was trying to say. The driver from HIS does enable Xfire, but the next official driver should be what brings the performance gains.

@FnF

No need to get so defensive man, my system is not the only one with working crossfire.

I understand what you were doing by posting drivers, and what I was doing was pointing out the right one for crossfire, which is also the newest set available just with the WHQL date.

It can be hard to miss those things sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  13. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    Unless you own a flat screen that cannot run more than 60Hz you should increase the vertical frequency to at least 75Hz when using vsync. It will then cap at 75fps (or higher).

Sven

14. arfster

arfster Member

Strange - lots of other people have reported the same thing. What OS are you using? (Vista here).

Have you used DXVA Checker to show what deinterlacing modes are available?

15. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Yes, I'm running Vista as well. I don't have anything missing if I compare it to previous drivers. Maybe I'm lucky then :cheers: