ATI Catalyst 6.5 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2006.

1. Yes you should up the voltages and go for a higher overclock especially considering your temps are as good as they are.

2. Btw which motherboard do you have? and what is the HTT speed on the board with your overclock?

3. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I have the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo...

HTT speeds - very good question... I had to read up on exactly what it is... To answer, I haven't touched this setting so it should be at its default speed. The only setting I touched other than FSB is the ram ratio, from 1:1 to 5:4 - just to make sure it wasn't my memory causing the lockups.

I'm not at home right now, but I will check out what the HTT setting is.

What is the highest voltage you recommend for the 4400+. I don't want to chance frying this chip, but I sure would love to get up to 2900mhz or so :)

4. Well since you have not checked your HTT I think that might be whats holding you back. You see when you increase your FSB and overclock your CPU you are also overclocking your motherboard as well. You have a 1000mhz Hyper Transport system just like me and if you have it much past 1000mhz it becomes unstable. In order to defeat this problem you will have to lower your multiplier for your HTT down one notch. Your most likely running a 5X right now and you would need to lower it to 4X and that should then offset the overclocked motherboard. However in your overclocking try to the HTT at 1000Mhz or as close to it as possible so you dont lose any performance. Note that there is no performance to be gained by clocking it higher than 1000Mhz, I have tested that theory using 3dmark 06 and I can now put that to rest.

Your gains will come from the CPU overclock and Memory overclock. Speaking of memory what type do you have and what DDR speed is it?

5. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Thank you! Boy, I get "out of the game" for a couple of years and suddenly I am lost... lol - used to be Front Side Bus and CPU Multiplier - and that was about it. Now there are all kinds of terms and settings and oh my, can get pretty confusing.

I have very cheap 2x1gb DDR400 memory right now (that came with a walmart bought HP computer lol doh). I am planning on getting better memory, but I was first just going to see how fast my cpu would go and turn the ram ratio down as needed to keep it at around 200mhz as best I could.

But, I bet you are right about the HTT speeds. I can't wait to get home and start playing around with it more. Meanwhile, I think I have some more reading to do to get a better handle on memory timings and what not. Then I'll go out and get some more memory.

Speaking of memory, from what I understand on the newer mobos, having 2x1gb sticks is as good as 4x512mb sticks? Is this true? Should I look for 2x1gb sticks or 4x512mb sticks? Beyond tight timings, what would be better?

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    having 2x1gb stickers is BETTER than 4x512mb sticks. They overclock better, and will overclock at 1T, rather than running the command rate down to 2T which gives a hit to performance.
    Also, u will get far better performance with better memory running at higher HTT speeds 1:1 with the CPU if u can.

7. This is true. I did this and gained 100marks in 3dmark 06 just by doing this simple tweak!

8. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Thanks you two... Now if the work day would just be over so I can go home and play :) 2 more hours :/

9. Stick with a good brand of 2X1gb for right now. This will allow for tighter timings with your memory, also you cannot run a command rate of 1T with all four dimm slots being full. Nothing out there right now will use more than 2gig anway so its really still overkill.

I have Cheap Value DDR 400 MEM as well and right now I am running a stable 421mhz with timings of 3 3 3 5 and 1T command rate. Anything higher and it craps out though! LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  10. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Cool, thank you again... I have been using 2gb for a little while now for my gaming rig, that was when I started playing EQ2... But I occationally have to do some data-mining on very large record sets, so I throw in another 2gb to keep from getting into swap... But yeah, so far 2gb is plenty for any games I've played. 1gb is enough for most, and really 1.5gb would do it for the others, but 1.5gb isn't cool. lol

I am think of getting these - OCZ Dual Channel EB 2048MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz Platinum Memory (2 x 1024MB) - for $200. The timings aren't the best but the reviews I've read so far say that they will scream when overclocked... Thoughts?

11. The timings are probably due to the high clock speed of that memory. The higher you clock up the loser the timings must be. Of course the Idea is to keep the timings tight as possible while you clock up.

12. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    I get a weird error installing these drivers :(

Everything installes fine tell the reboot then windows reports an unknown device

I go check out device manager and sure enough there it is And Windows has no clue what it is hehe cant install drivers for it lol

I,m thinking it may have somthing to do with just installing the drivers with the old CP and not using the CCC ???

Anyways I went back to an old set i had laying around on the box 5,13 i think :(

13. Why not use 6.3's? that would be better than those old drivers.

14. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590

that unknown device is the wmd driver. it didnt install

15. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Yeah, i got that too. Let it do its thing, then at the end theres an option that makes it not pop up ever again. Other than that, best drivers ever.

16. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    You hit the problem right on the head :p

I downloaded the stand alone wmd drivers and that fixed me up :D

Many thanks :)

17. cowen

cowen Member

How to install new catalyst drivers?

Dear Forum Members,

I have tried three time to install the new Catalyst drivers without sucess. I just purchased the X1900 and installed the drivers that came with it. I cannot tell which version of catalyst drivers it has. Any tips in how to find out? I was successful in downloading the Multimedia Center 9.14 by removing the 9.13 first. I removed the Remote control drivers first, then download the new plus ones, then installed the MMC 9.14. I seems to work fine, but I don't really notice too much difference.

What is the best procedure for installing the catalyst drivers if I discover the ones loaded from the disk are not the latest. I have loaded, unloaded and re-loaded the drivers so many time it is making my head spin. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cowen

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    When you decide to change drivers get Driver cleaner, you can set it for the ATI driver set. that way you can be sure there are no files left that may be preventing the new drivers from working properly. So remove the old ones run driver cleaner and install new drivers simple as that...Hope that helps.

19. swiftly718

swiftly718 Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX/X1950XTX/ 8800GTS(640)
    so far these drivers run good but not great under vista beta 2 and apparently i have 386mb of video ram on my x800xtpe agp :lol: but its good that these actually have open gl support and that the vista beta drivers do not have open gl support.

20. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    I tried the 6.5 driver again today. I realized that it is not downclocking to the 2d speed but rather below the 2d speed when an avi or mpeg is played. It clocks the core down to 399 when I play an avi or an mpeg file with the 6.5.