ATI Catalyst 6.5 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2006.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ahh got you now sorry. :)

2. No prob bud. Its just irritating to have this problem but I know im not alone because other X1800-X1900 owners are getting the same.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I tried installing these last night to test, and it kicked my GFX card down to 4bit color!! and I couldn't reset it..so Itried reinstalling again and same. BTW I know proper driver install procedures. This has me thinking though as to why they wouldn't install. I have a 9600XT AIW. I can fix most issue, but I haven't seen this one yet..I guess I might try again tonight...any ideas guys?

4. The only thing I can think to tell you is to make sure you use drivercleaner pro to get rid of left over fragments from your prev drivers before applying the new ones.

I am so far less than impressed with these new drivers and will probably go back to 6.3 which game no problems and allows me to OC with no fuss.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I pop drivers in and out all the time and I usually use Driver cleaner like 100% of the time..perhaps I might have forgot or such..who knows..I might try again later BUT I have been reading and they aren't getting a warm reception at all.
    BTW - fill out your specs.

6. Some might disagree but I say the 6.5's suck ass. Not just because of the OC problem but the fact that performance is actually worse on my system when compared to the 6.3's

I have lost some FPS in Oblivion with these drivers and FEAR for some reason plays like total garbage on them. I have always been able to run max settings in FEAR at 1280X1024 with 2Xaa and 8Xaf and soft shadows and I would average 55+FPS and even get into the 70's with the 6.3's. Now with the 6.5's I find myself getting averaging around 35-40FPS:rolleyes:

ATI you need to get your **** together and offer better support for the people who spend their hard earned money on your flagship cards!!!!:mad3:

7. irocx

irocx Member

GPU:
    8800GT
    Went from the 5.13's to these and they suxx for my x800xt and flight simulator - even slowed the sim interface down and I used driver cleaner. Trying the extreme GT's 1.6.3 and everything crisp and clean again - wtf, why can't ati produce better drivers when updating????

8. I dont like the 6.5's either. Oblivion is slower by a couple of FPS with these. I switched back to the 6.3's and all is well again.

9. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    This time around I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows xp pro before installing the 6.5's.

So far I have had no issues with 6.5. But I haven't done any overclocking outside of CCC. Everything is smooth, Oblivion and FEAR and many other graphics intensive games and applications seem to run exactly as they did with 6.3's or 6.4's.

Really, I have rarely had any issues with ATI's drivers. The only time I can remember having an issues was when I was playing around with different versions, different modded drivers, overclocking utilities and etc etc etc... At one point I had to reinstall windows because it was just getting to be a mess.

Actually, reinstalling a fresh copy of windows is usually the first or second thing I do when I start having strange problems with drivers or games or whatever. I have everything organized so it doesn't take me long at all to get everything reinstalled and back up and running. Longest/hardest part is getting all the windows updates. After that it's pretty much done. I don't generally reinstall software, just copy my shortcut folder back from my backup. I keep my C: drive ONLY for windows, and my D: drive (physically separate) for all games and prgram files and etc...

Anyway, I love my pc and crossfire has been fine for me. I can't live without it now.

BTW, both my x1900's are watercooled, as is my cpu - my cpu is on it's own water loop, video cards are sharing their own, and everything is inside my case, no external radiators or hoses etc. - works great, and boy, when you water cool these x1900's they sure do overclock a LOT more, pretty amazing - and MUCH quieter than the stock HSF (those are the most annoying fans in the world!)

10. Man props to your system! That is badass! The system in my sig is actually my very first build ever so I was not too sure about things like water cooling and dual cards. Mabey my next build will be water cooled with dual cards since I know a little bit more about what im doing now:)

I really dont need 2 cards as my brand new 19inch LCD monitor maxes at 1280X1024 and I can run any game out there right now at that res with blazing frame rates anyway. I will probably build a DX10 System sometime twards the end of 07, that way some of the bugs will be worked out and ATI will have released atleast a couple of Dx10 cards by then!

11. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Thanks! I had some extra cash to spend on this computer. And it wasn't cheap. I also got a Dell 24" LCD at around the same time. Must have spent around $4,000 when all is said and done. And that is very unusual for me. Anything over $1,500 for a complete (monitorless) computer is IMO too much to spend. But this time around I thought what the hell, get a screaming system that will be top of the line for at least 2 months lol.

One thing about water cooling - originally I only had the one xtx card and had my cpu and the xtx card on the same water loop. The xtx was heating up the water so that it was actually causing my cpu to run 4-5C hotter than it was on air. When I got the xfire edition card I also bought another water cooling setup so I could isolate the cpu from the two video cards. Now my cpu is running very cool and I can overclock well.

In the end though, I had much more fun building a tweaking my computer hardware/software than playing games. I spent more time playing around with fan settings and moving things around and etc than I actually playing games. lol

12. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Wot loops are u running mate? Im running 2 dual 120mm rads for my rig. Tbh though you shouldnt notice that much of an increase in temps from running one card and CPU in a loop. Maybe 5 degrees on the CPU max....

13. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Currently: For the video cards I am using the Koolance Aquian ICM-510+CPU, both cards have the Koolance VID-200-L06 for the core and memory and the Koolance CHC-25-L06 for the voltage regulators. The hose comes out of the Aquian and is then Y split and goes into the water blocks for the core/mem, then into the voltage regulators, then they are combined back into one hose and back into the Aquian.

The CPU is cooled using a Koolance RP-1000BK 1kW Series 5.25in Drive Bay System and a Koolance HX-360 Radiator. The cpu water block I am using came with the Aquian system.

The video cards produce a LOT of heat. I read a chart somewhere and the Top Thermal Operating temperature of the x1900's is 90c, and the AMD 4800+ is 65c. Having only the xtx in the same loop with the cpu was causing the water to be around 10c hotter on average than just having the same water setup on the cpu only. If I manually set the fan on the Aquian to 9-10 (10 is max) then I was ok and vey cool, but it was far louder than I wanted it to be.

Also, the Aquian's have the fan blowing INSIDE the case. It was causing my mobo and everything else inside my case to get too hot. So pretty much from the start I turned the fan around to blow outside the case. But that means it is sucking air through the aquian radiator and that is less efficient than blowing through it. So, I did loose a little bit of cooling compacity with the same fan speed settings. But to me it makes more sense to blow all the hot air directly out of the case. Of course, the only way to get the air flow correct was to mount my cpu radiator in the front intake, so my cpu heat is actually blowing inside my case - but I was able to get other fans blowing a low speed in such a way that my mobo and inside of my case are not getting heated up from the cpu heat. In fact the cpu/water temp now at idle is only a few degrees above room temp.

So as far as temp readings go now:

Room temp = 21-22c

Idle:

CPU water = 26-27c
    CPU core = 30-31c
    Video water = 36-38c
    Video cores = 46-48c
    Mobo = 25-26c

Full Load (well playing Oblivion and some other high end games):

CPU water = 33-34c (main radiator fan jumps from 1300rpm to 1600rpm)
    CPU core = 40-41c
    Video water = 44-48c (fan jumps to Auto 6-8, not sure of rpm's, it's audible at 6)
    Video cores = 50-60c
    Mobo = 30-31c

If I adjust the fans manually so they are quiet and don't automatically increase in speed (particularly with the video cards) - the increase in temps does not cause any lockups at all, and I am still far below the temps using factory HSF's... So, when I need ultra quiet (like when I am recording guitar or something) I just manually turn the fans down so I can hardly hear them.

Anyway, it's just fun messing around with all this to see what works and what doesn't. I think I have things setup about as good as it can be considering my first requirement (i.e. everything must be inside the case, nothing external, not even hoses that connect to some external radiator)... When I got the xtx and I first heard the fan kick up to speed in a full 3d - I almost just returned everything because it was so loud and annoying. Having two in a system would just be insane. Water cooling was the only option.

14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Well, i didnt see a huge difference temp wise with my setup adding the extra card tbh. But i do think having a 2nd rad in a dual GPU is a good idea.

Im running the following for my xfire rig:

1x Dual 120mm Black Ice Extreme rad

1x Dual 120mm Nexxos Extreme 2 rad

DD A64 TDX CPU block, 2x DD Maze 4 acetal GPU blocks

Eheim 1250 pump, Innovatek Fassomatic res.

Been an effort modding etc to fit it all in etc, but temps are great:

GPU's run about 29-32 degrees idle, never more than 40 degrees load, usually around 38ish.

CPU runs 30 degrees idle, 36 degrees load.

How r u finding xfire? Mines been running pretty good since i got it. Might wanna checkout my xfire thread sometime:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=181125

15. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Cool setup (pun intended)... How the heck are you fitting 2x120mm rads into a case? What case are you using?

Also, is your GPU's temps reading from the water sensor or the core temp sensor?

I guess this topic (water cooling) shouldn't be in the Driver thread. If an admin wants to move these posts I wouldn't complain lol... Going to check out your xfire thread now and post any comments I might have there.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    I'll continue this discussion in there too, so as not to go off topic... :)

17. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+590
    man from what im reading im glad i didnt switch from the 6.5 betas to the official 6.5's. ive havent had any problems with the beta's except for one of the new maps in cod2. but that was the same in the 6.3's. and the 6.4's sucked for me. so i guess ill stay with the 6.5 beta's till 6.6's come out :rolleyes:

18. LOL and I thought I was the only one doing that:nerd:

I actually messed around with my Overclocking some more today and I have managed to get my Sandiego 4000+ running 100% stable at 2970ghz! and my cheap Value ddr400 ram is running at 424mhz! LOL!

I did gain 100 more marks in 3dmark 06. You think that is a pretty good gain?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  19. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    is the BF2 shadow bug still present ?

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

20. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    lol... I wish I could overclock my cpu as well as other's have been able to.

So far the best I've been able to do with my 4400+ without any lockups at all is 2640mhz by increasing the fsb only. I haven't messed with voltages at all yet, and I did reduce the ram speed to 5/4 just in case it was the ram causing the lockups going over 2640...

Does that seem normal to everyone? Would I get up to around 2900mhz by playing with voltages?

It is water cooled, and I can keep the temp under 40c under the highest load/duration...