ATi Catalyst 10.9a Hotfix Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DeFade

DeFade Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireToxic R9 280X 3GB
    Maybe it isn't actually a driver issue but I'm getting corruption on Youtube videos since I installed these (I think). Nobody else?

edit

nevermind my flash player was out of date. updating has fixed it

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    You gotta be ****ing ****ting me. The drivers for the 4870x2 are a ****ing fiasco. Every friend I have who own a corssfire setup have problems. Not all of them notice/acknowledge it but when I point out things like texture flicker they go: "oh yeah I haven't noticed that before" like they don't care.

AMD/ATI support for SC2 is unbelievably poor. I have tried my core i7 @ 4Ghz and my 4870x2 BARELY musters the same FPS as my old 8800GTX. The 8800GTX is however rock stable without any noticeable gfx errors where as my 4870x2 is peridically flickering on parts of the screen. Older drivers are even worse as they sometimes make small polygons stretch all over the screen.

I've also tried a re-install of windows, a different 4870x2 card, a different cooler, downclocked/overclocked memory/gpu, driver sweeper etc. So far no driver has been completly good for SC2. And for older/other games I feel I have to hand pick a driver version as I can't find a single driver version that works good for all the games I play.

I also suffer from the so called "micro-stutter" in games that run sub 50fps. On my old 8800GTX games would usually be pretty fluid @ 30+ fps where as my 4870x2 is choppy as ****ing hell when it drops below ~50fps.

I'm not alienating AMD/ATI in total here. My next card might even be a 6xxx but it will take a long time before/if ever I try/recommend a crossfire/dual gpu form any brand. Especially from AMD.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    @ qstoffe. no need to have a panic attack. your not the only one having issues with sc2. it has nothing to do with ati support, drivers or you having a dual gpu card. sc2 just doesent support crossfire as of yet. the reason you have no issue with your 8800 is because your only using 1 card. check the sc2 forums, there are people on there that are having issues with sli as well. i have to disable 1 of my cards completly and disable catalyst ai on the other just to get above 50fps. even though the new patch fixed alot of the problems i was having, there are still issues that remain.

4. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    I'm actually glad I'm not the only one.

If I disable catalyst ai the problems are reduced but some problems are still there. Also if I disable catalyst ai I get lower performance in SC2 than with my old 8800GTX :bang:

I honestly want to upgrade my card but when I look at benchmarks the 4870x2 is still quite capable. The only one really beating it is the 5970 and I won't go crossfire again since I don't like the extra driver problems + performance/value since you get microstutter below 50fps.

5. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    I played Starcraft2 runs smooth as silk (w/o aa though)

Maybe u should rma ur card or something...

6. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    I already have. This is my second 4870x2. I've also upgraded my MB, CPU, memory, PSU, OS. I've even tried with a different cooler (accelero xtreme) and open case with all temps normal. No change. If use my old 8800GTX all is fine though.

I play SC2 without AA.

7. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    There are many industries that rely on consumer feedback to fix issues on their products. Since their graphics cards are just one piece of a larger machine, and ATI has no control over those other parts, they must certainly rely on consumer feedback to fix issues. There are so many different combinations of hardware/software on the market. Just the CPU/MOBO combinations alone would be enough to keep their teams busy for a while.

These companies can't anticipate all problems and issues that will pop up once their hardware hits the market and is used in a wide variety of machines. Then they can start fixing and improving their hardware. Many, many issues have come and gone, most of them being able to be fixed on the users end with some research. I've never sent a card back, or hardware of any type because of incompatibility or hardware issues. I've seen plenty and dealt with a wide mixture of hardware/software issues, driver issues, crashes, bsod, not being able to post. Back in the day, latency issues, bus issues, IRQ problems, BIOS tweaks, ect. These are all things we can handle ourselves, problems that come from being a computer enthusiast that builds his own machines from scratch. Personally researching and hand picking components proudly based on our gained knowledge.

Many industries and markets rely heavily on user feedback. The arm in arm relationship between hardware manufacturers and their enthusiasts is no where near as important as it is with the PC industry.

8. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Am I ok to install these over 10.5a and is BC2 finally sorted ? ( I am not playing R.U.S.E)

9. Dreamskiller

Dreamskiller Member

GPU:
    HD4870X2
    SC2 still got a ton of problems.

10. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    I agree.

I agree but in order for them to actually do something about the feedback you need to give them very specific step by step instructions to reproduce a bug. That process is tedious one and I understand companies that cut corners there. On top of that some of the issues seems to be very random i.e. flickering.

I also understand that AMD is not always to blame for bugs that "seem" graphics related.

This is one of my main concerns regaurding AMD Crossfire support. Don't they have a test script/manifest before release to at least ensure that recent bugs stay fixed?

I bought a "dual" card because I thought it would last longer and get more stable drivers than the newer cards once it grew older. Apparently I was dead wrong. After going dual I've also realized that the real scaling (fps-"micro stuttered frames") isn't as good as benchmarks make it out to be. Benchmarks & fraps etc. usually show an increase about 90% but in reality you only gain about 40% by adding an extra card. Upgrading to the latest and greatest single GPU seems to be a better approach.

11. Dreamskiller

Dreamskiller Member

GPU:
    HD4870X2
    "usually show an increase about 90% but in reality you only gain about 40% by adding an extra card"

>>> In SC2, crossfire seems to downgrade perf. Isn't that better ?

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

sc2 doesent support crossfire yet. if you want to boost your fps a little. turn off catalyst A.I.

13. qstoffe

qstoffe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 580 @ stock
    Haha true. Believe it or not but I was actually talking about the best of cases. Fps show a number that is equally stuttery to lower fps due to bad AFR-sync.

Frame count per second is not a good way of comparing performance when AFR is used. At least not if you're concerned with frame smoothness. Yet I see almost all review sites, like Tom's hardware, recommending multi-gpu over single gpu with not so much as hint of the problems it brings with it. I've really lost faith when it comes to trusting review sites recommendations of gfx solutions.

Some say Blizzard (SC2) are sloppy for not supporting SLI/Crossfire. I think it's the other way around. GFX makers needs look for a substitue to AFR cause it actually limits developers when using frame effects. If they would use another technique than AFR it would also open up for solutions that could take advantage of more than 3 or 4 gfx cards.

14. Dreamskiller

Dreamskiller Member

GPU:
    HD4870X2
    It's not just about FPS. While playing on maps with water (even a little), the game is OK during 2 or 3 seconds (80~100 fps on ultra, 1920*1200) but then, the FPS downgrade to 40. Normally, 40 fps are ok to play a game fluently, but this is not the case. I'm sorry, i'm french and i dunno a word to explain that, but clearly, the game is not fluent, but this is not completly a matter of fps.

There are also some bugs on map with water, especially with reapers. They have jetpacks, with some flames under them, ok ? On map with waters, i got flames under the jetpack, but also above.

15. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well I can't launch World in Conflict with the 10.9a hotfix installed. The game just refuses to launch and I keep getting my second gpu stuck at 400mhz where the other one goes to 900 like it is supposed to.

Wow just got around to trying bfbc2 and it crashes to desktop when I launch single player mode. Also ruse demo is terrible! :bang: I really can't believe how terrible these drivers have been! I have a gtx 470 on my other rig and I have no where the amount of problems I have on this one.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You haven't got triple buffering enabled have you because ATI have broken it somewhat with games since 10.7 or 10.8? This also affects Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. too so I can't enable triple buffering otherwise the games run on GPU2 while GPU1 remains idle. The CrossFireX icon shows though. It's weird. I reported it to ATI but, surprise, surprise, they've yet to fix it... they're probably too busy discussing what they're going to break next! :bang:

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

ive noticed something similar as well. its a game issue. cant really do anything about it until bilzzard fixes it along with everthing else.

18. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Nope I don't use triple buffering since I noticed it was broken in like 10.6 or something. If I uninstall the hotfix drivers for 10.9 wic will launch but with them it won't. These are just horrible! I such a nice looking card wish it would play!

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @Peerless - I've just tried World in Conflict here too and it doesn't launch for me either. How embarassing for ATI since it is one of their endorsed games. I wonder how many other games they've broken?

Can you check your Event log please because I have crashes in NTDLL.dll showing for WiC.exe but it might be because it was running but not showing in the taskbar so I had to use Task Manager to force it to close.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  20. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Dead Rising 2: in crossfire, I obtain a nice BSOD.
    If I disable crossfire it works.:uhoh: