ATi Catalyst 10.8 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SuperBill

SuperBill Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Right in line with what most are reporting, performance on my mobility in Quake 2 has dropped about 18fps. That's really all I've benchmarked before and after the driver update as it is a new laptop. Just wanted to put the report out there (I know it's just Quake 2 but others are posting similar experiences).

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Oh yes.. vsync is the worst I love having over 100 fps with brutal tearing all over the screen. What a stupid option!
    palm, meet face

3. mikami

mikami Active Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 780 ti
    thank you scooby I'm glad at least someone understands

4. lmihai2oo6

lmihai2oo6 Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    Can someone help me ?
    I tried to install this driver but is not detecting my card (HD 4770). I tried to go back to 10.6 and same thing....I used drive sweeper but same problem :(

I use windows 7 32 biti

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    try installing from device manager, works great on 4770

6. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Tested on my sys.
    No problems, flawless.

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. lmihai2oo6

lmihai2oo6 Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    i tried but nothing....now i have the driver that comes with windows update

When i open ati install manager is not showing option to install the video driver, only HDMI audio driver and Lord of the Ring....

9. IM0001

IM0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    I do enjoy over 60FPS at times, but yes V-Sync is far from useless. I like it not only for its fixing of tearing, but also it keeps the GPU's cooler since they aren't forced to run as fast as they possibly can. Big Plus in EVE Online.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Sheesh its not rocket science!
    I use vsync whenever I can Id take 60fps smooth over 300fps and tearing any day of the week..

but to call it useless? lol ohhh some peopl's children

11. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    what the hell?I guess you dont no what you can do with v-sync on.
    I play mafia 2 with v-sync on, why?I dont to use both gpus at 99/100% because its a waste, so when i activate v-sync gpus usage are around 50/60% and the game is very playable, and thats because its a slow game.When i swithch to css i have to turn it off and css players know what im talking about.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. SuperBill

SuperBill Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    If you have a really badass CRT, vsync is pointless (i.e. turn the refresh rate high enough to negate tearing). On a standard 60hz LCD vsync is a must.

13. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    lol who the hell still uses a crt

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Not only that but The General (Sir!) is overlooking the fact that pretty much all of the complaints about driver performance in the 10.6 to 10.8 drivers are related to CrossFireX and not single card owners. He seems to use single cards; there's your difference because if you're using only one card then you WILL experience fewer or no issues. Games are less dependent on driver updates if they're run on one card. However, CrossFireX will not function properly without them as games can actually run worst on two cards than one, something I'm well aware from the recent Kane & Lynch 2 for example. StarCraft II is another.

15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Vsync is an absolute necessity. I force it through d3doverrider from rivatuner and it works really well. Can't see why people wouldn't use it, although I should note my friend recently bought a 120Hz Samsung monitor and his screen shows far less tearing than mine if we leave vsync off.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Speak for yourself; I can stand to play ANY games without it and I personally see no point in playing games above 60 fps either. I detest screen tearing - it's the reason I'm slowly turning my back on console gaming where it is rife - so the first thing I do with any new game is ensure v-sync is on and triple buffering is enabled. That's the great thing about gaming on the PC: having the CHOICE!

17. masterchan777

masterchan777 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC
    The stupid CatalystMaker is still posting tweets of people praising those $hitty drivers ...

18. menting

menting New Member

2d clock speeds

on 10.7, the 2D clock on my 4890 would be at a constant 240MHz when i'm browsing the web, but with 10.8, it'll jump between 925MHz (3D clock) and 240Mhz, with about 80% of the time in 925MHz.

Did anyone else notice this?

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I used a CRT monitor with my PC for almost a decade and I noticed tearing as much in games then as I do now on LCD screens where games don't use v-sync at all. Hell, I used to see it when I played Xbox and PS2 games on my 28" 100Hz CRT TV, e.g. God of War and Fable.

The technology might be different but v-sync is an issue caused at the graphics card end not the screen; that's why if you take screenshots with frame grabber hardware, which takes them directly from the framebuffer itself before it is even sent to the screen, you can capture screen tearing in action!

I'm very sensitive to tearing (unfortunately) and tend to notice it straight away, no matter how slight; it's why I tend to avoid multiformat games on the consoles. If I play games too long with it then I get headaches (same with 3D movies too actually).

20. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    I bet you didn't even know what VYSnc even did when you posted that....

It eliminates screen tear and the game feels much smoother.