ATi Catalyst 10.8 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ontariotl

ontariotl Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 OC x2
    These drivers bring nothing new to the table compared to TwL's 3.90a driver set.
    Running in Quadfinity the numbers are the same, no improvement nor a decrease in performance either. I will give kudos though as they finally got quadfireX eyefinity running after what? Almost a year?

BC2 -still runs good on them as well, nowhere as bad as 10.7 or 10.7a. I'm sure the random crash to desktop bug is still there as well. I still think its a DICE/EA issue (why cant you let me run all settings at high without crashing EA?)
    Aliens vs Predator- still runs like it wasn't crossfired or quadfired at all even with the new profile update.
    Dirt 2- still randomly crashes during game or benchmark.:bang:
    Crysis benchmark- still runs good on the settings I have it set for. (runs nice in quadfinity)
    Heaven benchmark 2.1 - ever so slight improvement but nothing to write home about.

2. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FTW3
    from the release notes: "Frame drops may be visible during WinDVD Blu-ray playback with display resolution set to 25x16"
    wow, talk about high definition :p

-andy-

3. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Crossfire support for SC2? What are you talking about? I've been running it in Crossfire since day one and I was able to fix and force AA, I don't understand what you mean by crossfire support, because there is crossfire support? So what do you expect from ATI, have you told them your specific problem? They are not going to fix something that hardly anyone has a problem with and may even be an intermittent/user error or user side issue, it may have absolutely nothing to do with ATI. I think people are unaware/forget that just because an issue happens that is graphics card related, doesn't mean that its a graphics card/driver issue. More than not, I have fixed issues with video cards through the motherboard and software.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just so surprised at what I'm seeing, there seems to be a whole crop of issues I've never seen when a new release comes out and it drives me crazy when I see these issues when the person has the same exact setup as I, yet I'm fine and he's not able to play. Its frustrating because I cannot accept its the fault of ATI, especially when you see two identical systems one is fine, one isn't... So how can you decide its ATI and how do you know they have the key to the fix, how do you know its not in your own hands? I've NEVER had an problem I couldn't fix myself, not even a DOA and I've spent more than what a car would cost in PC parts since 1998, so I just cannot believe, when I see people getting 2-3 DOA cards in a row, ect ect, I just can't believe it. It has to be user error/inexperience, lack of technical troubleshooting capabilities ect. Too many people just jump into the PC game with no idea just how in depth and technical it really is. How many people replace RAM and think they are now PC technicians? So unless I'm the luckiest PC hardware purchaser in the history of the world, or all these DOA pieces of hardware and software issues we are seeing are not ATI's fault.

You will never, ever notice the difference between 170fps and 150fps. Second, its more than likely a setting change between driver installations. You can drop 20fps by turning off temporal AA, or switching the AA filter, or any minor, minor change can do this. For all you know they increased the IQ through their end which caused it.... That is absolutely no reason to complain and come out and say fire the team. Do you even care about gaming or just the little FPS counter in the corner? People have way too much time on their hands now a days.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    ohnoes only 143fps teh horror!
    c'mon get real go whine about real things and not about things that stroke ur epeen.
    no probs for me here,no micro stuttering,no crash to desktop crash in bc2 etc etc

5. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2

I know I am about to sound bitter. But I'm so damn thankful I didn't upgrade my 4870 X2 to a 5970 like I was tempted to do earlier.

I spent a lot of money on my 4870 X2 and it's pretty disappointing that ATI has decided to no longer support this card.

With ATI needing to use dual GPU cards to out perform Nvidia, it seems odd they'd treat their dual GPU cards like ugly step children. These are their flagship products, even if only a small percentage of us buy them. They should be an example of how great ATI can be. Not how bad ATI can be.

In the two years or so I've had my 4870 X2 it seems like drivers have frequently caused issues with this card, many times in the past one or both of the GPUs wouldn't idle properly. Now one of the GPUs is always stuck on idle. Ugh. You are making me feel unloved ATI.

Those of you that do have 5970s. I hope history doesn't repeat itself with you guys.

6. max883

max883 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti SLi
    Ati Driver 10.5a is perfect in all games.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ati Driver 10.6 , 10.7 ,10.8 is HORIBLE!!! it uses 1GB Sheared mememory of system hd/ram so it runs lagy or not perfoms as god in CFX.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    jakeyl88

signed +10000000

8. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    oh yeah and another thing that has happened since 10.6, when you disable CAT AI PC freezes nothings changed with 10.8

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ever since I uninstalled then reinstalled MS Visual C++ (found in the Cat driver install sub directory) I've not had a crash in BC2 in week(s) now.

10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    There should be no such big decreases from one driver to the next so go troll somewhere else.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    He actually makes a point. Perhaps they improved IQ, fixed something, etc that may have cause the drop. But if you are still over 140 FPS it's a moot point.

12. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    lol trolling like really?
    instead of looking what could be wrong or what has changed softwarewise on their pc(a program getting updates for example) people start bitching bout their gfx being crap and having lost 20fps when their still at 100fps+
    if their sure their software is 100% identical like the previous time they benched or something (no virusscanner updates or whatever) then sure then go whine all you want but rly get real.

13. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    No problem here. I only tested on PURE (as I play wright now like quaizy:nerd:). I'll test in Starcraft2 (with 10.6 didn't had any issues) and few other games and report back.

14. IM0001

IM0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    No idea what you guys are talking about. My 2nd GPU churns out performance in everything I have used on it with the 10.6/7's (Going to test the .8's tonight after work)

(Proof the 2nd core works would be my 3DMark Vantage score hit over 600 points more than my last personal best (Don't remember the number off the top of my head at work but it was only attainable with 2 cores + Physx)) and playing games I can watch with GPU-Z the 2nd core load + heat rise into the 70's so it is definitely doing something)

Anyone know if the PvZ issue is fixed? :D

15. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Will there be a problem if I install these on to of my exsisting 10.7 drivers?

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    They have not improved anything, but decreased Crossfire performance in many older games. Dirt2, BFBC2, Batman just to name a few. This has been documented a hundred times by many people already.

Just because performance is above a certain amount is not a moot point as in another game this can mean you going under 60fps for no good reason other than the latest drivers suck for those slightly older games. Should games that are only a few months old get such treatment? I don't think so.

So it is high time you guys on single cards just stop trolling as you have not seen these drops. The fact still is Crossfire performance still is not as it was with 10.5a the last good driver and all us x2 users have a good reason to be dissatisfied with this.

17. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You know that killing dwm.exe fixes that? I know its not a ideal solution, but atleast you dont need to reboot everytime it happens?

18. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    I think people comparing it to 10.5a is missing the point of driver updates, if an older driver works better for you, then use it don't troll this one. A driver update isn't meant to improve things across the board but probably focus on certain issues. If you have certain actual issues make sure you let ATI know, I'm sure they don't read these forums.

19. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Seems like since i installed these 10.8 drivers my logitech headset has broken,i thought it was the audio driver that came with the catalyst drivers but isnt it a coincidence that one minute my headset is working and then i change driver and its broken,just the earpiece has died,i even rolled back to 10.7 but it still wont work. ATI really DO break things with their new driver releases :(

20. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I must be one of the few people who actually haven't had issues with newer drivers. I'm running 10.7 at the moment and they are great for the games I play, with or without crossfirex. I'll give these new ones a go tonight.