ATi Catalyst 10.5 Released - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

You do know Nvidia blackmails developers into using the PhysX engine for their games right?

If you accept a Nvidia donation towards your game, you are contract bound by them to also include PhysX

Which is sad as hell as PhysX is:

A) Outdated, both HAVOK and DX11 physics far far far exceed PhysX in both function and resources cost

B) PhysX can be done on a CPU made in 2004 with no effort if allowed to render it on the CPU and not GPU

C) A licensed format which is shoehorned to one product line, and since its not a open source format, developers are blackmailed into supporting PhysX when its time consuming to program for, and also alienates half your paying customers that buy ATI etc flavored videocards

In short, PhysX is a physic's engine -NOBODY- wants, but because Nvidia blackmails every game producer that accepts Nvidia's money it keeps rearing its ugly head like a overstuffed tick.

Proof on this blackmailing by Nvidia over PhysX is they are -ACTIVELY- pushing PhysX as being "Superior" to DX11 physics, when DX11 physics is both free, and more resource friendly then PhysX is

In short, Nvidia keeps playing dangerous games, and the only thing I want to know is where does Nvidia keep getting all this money to throw at developers? With the sales of the GT200 series in the toilet, followed by the GT400 heat/power requirements/performance disaster, you would think they would be less inclined to stop blackmailing developers to support a dieing/dead format

Then again, this is Nvidia, they have only re-labeled the same videocard FIVE times now and each time jacking the price up

2. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I watched the Mafia2 physx video, to me it looked ok, but the performance looked awful?

3. BrundleFLY

BrundleFLY New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 512GDDR5
    I have a Sapphire HD 4870 512 card and I have the long loads back in Bad Company 2.

4. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    well this patch did nothing for the random fps drop in bc 2 for me and shows that this is something Dice needs to get their butts into gear and fix the issue that should not be showing up on my system when I play the frigen sp or mp.my frames will dip in 15-27 for no darn reason.I get fast load times just piss poor frame drops under 27 out of random

5. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It looked smooth for me for the most part, the beginning looked like it wasn't running very well though.

6. xxomegaxx

xxomegaxx Active Member

GPU:
    Quadfire 5970@1000
    Well eyefinity still doesn't work for me in crossfire i can't even create an eyefinity group with crossfire being on, it only works when its switched off =/

7. Synapzz

Synapzz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6950 1G
    These drivers are good, no BC2 long loadtimes for me.

8. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    How come guru's page the drivers are 47mb, and on amd's are 45.4

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    True, but do you know the difference in performance ?

CPU Physx
    [​IMG]

GPU Physx
    [​IMG]

10. Messerschmitt

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Anyones else 10.5 not installing?

I get mine to install components, overall progress gets 8 blocks, screen turns black for a few seconds, then the install window comes back, and there is no more progression.
    The overall progress stays at 8 blocks, and the Currently installing ATI Display Driver keeps re-filling up over and over.

Anyone else had this problem and how did you solved this?

I'm running Win XP 32, with 4870 card.

11. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    4870x2 here, yeh long loading times returned, from 6-7s on 10.4a to 30-40s with 10.5

12. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    If your PC is incapable or overwriting a few files and then checking they've been written correctly as most installers do then to be frank you need to be taking a long hard look at it.....

Either that or you need to realise what you typed is absolute bullsh*t.......Especially when you consider when you delete/uninstall a file ITS STILL THERE on your hard drive just flagged as ok to overwrite to the OS......

13. olapaulakoski

olapaulakoski Master Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770 1 gb
    these drivers do not suck, infact they are great and adobe premiere preview is fixed! finally smooth playback again in fullscreen.:)

Idle clocks still crash 2d for me so i did a small bumb in gpu to 900 idle went to 400 1200 and not crashing. Its still pretty obvious those idle clocks are way to low.

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Try Unigine 2.1 (same settings as above) as I want to compare it with mine. I got 1630 in 2.1. Do you overclocked your cards?

15. hunuok

hunuok Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 Tri SLI
    Still no fix for blinking DP. This problem occurred from 10.4.

Eyefinity + quadfire still not supported. Would have checked again but it's kind of hard to do when the monitor won't turn on.

Pre 10.3 drivers had no DP issue. Eyefinity + quadfire didn't work back then BUT at least I could see my desktop.:bang:

Do AMD even care?:3eyes:

How about-"Hey, this this and this works so let's not mess with it in future drivers. Let's concentrate on fixing things THAT DON'T work-wait a minute-that's common sense!"

16. Messerschmitt

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Is this suppose to be right?

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Yeah, it's like ATI used the 10.4 WHQL drivers as the base for these new ones rather than the 10.4a Preview set which contained fixes for the cards below the HD 5000 series. BFBC2 loads as quick as it did with the last set of drivers for me, which is about 10 to 15 seconds in single player.

18. Ourasi

Ourasi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    This driver is causing hitching in Vantage, Unigine 2.0 and AvP DX11 bench. This on HD5970... Feels like periodic HDD lag, but never stops, and is ofcourse something else completely... Think I'm gonna give this one a miss for now, as the hitching combined with idle bug kinda makes it useless for me right now, since the bugs it supposedly fixes did not apply to me anyway.......

I'm pretty sure the hitching is the reason for the slight loss of performance compared to the 10.4 variants, it also might only occur on CFX this hitching, even if I did not test it, and the cure was to go back to 10.4... It took me one run to see this hitching, makes me wonder how this could have been missed...

19. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    HD 4770 + 10.5 + BC 2 load time horrible

Load times on my second rig with an XFX HD 4770 are still fail on the 10.5 driver - unless I did something wrong.

Here is what I did -
    1. Uninstall current 10.4 Catalyst
    2. Reboot into safe mode - Ran driver sweeper
    3. Rebooted, went into Windows, Installed Catalyst 10.5
    4. Rebooted again
    5. Launched Bad Company 2 - Launched a game
    6. Waited ~ 30 seconds
    7. Waited ~ 30 seconds
    8. Waited ~ 30 seconds

I don't know if it's me but load times are worse. Please fix this??? ARGH.

I agree but they need to hurry up damnit. They're smoking too much good pot or something in Canada?

Thanks for the feedback link steve I'm going to participate in that.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    I'm getting an has stopped working when the installer is detecting my ati card :mad:

EDIT: tried using run as administrator, downloaded from AMD instead.
    nothing works :bang:

Last edited: May 27, 2010