ATI Catalyst™ 8.12 Display Drivers officially out

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BitStream, Dec 10, 2008.

1. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Can't force AA in what games? There are some engines that simply cannot have AA applied to them as it breaks something else. The drivers will struggle to pass WHQL certification if they are known to cause problems with games, so forcing AA is disabled at driver level for that particular game. This is a Microsoft requirement and its not exclusive to ATI.......GTA 4 is a good example as neither Nvidia and ATI can force AA in that title.

I'm confused as whether that could be described as gay or not, so I'll leave that to you.

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know if you thought I was doing this, but I only responded to those who claimed CF was broken, as in for everyone. I also believe I included a list of what worked for me for others to test.

3. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    4870x2 and 4870 crossfire
    I have two crossfire systems -- Here is my experience w/8.12:

d975xbx - c2s 6800 2x3870s in crossfire - vista x64
    8.12 install over 8.11 - no issues, no reboot. It just works :).

asus x58 i7 940 - 4870x2 + 4870 in crossfire - vista x64
    8.12 install over 8.11 -- one core install, two cores with ! (code 43)- no crossfire
    8.12 install over 8.11 hotfix -- same as above
    clean install (image of vista before gpu driver install) - same as above
    Install 8.12 - manual install of drivers -- ccc report four cores instead of 3 - no crossfire
    Install 8.12 - manual install of drivers in safe mode -- same as above

So ... uninstalled 8.12 - rebooted - install 8.11 hotfix - all three cores - crossfire goodness

Will try any reasonable suggestions for getting 8.12 to work on my x58 :)

Score for me on 8.12 -- 1 for 2

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Yeah , seems that the problems are directly related to X58 chispset :(

5. Korvin77

Korvin77 New Member

GPU:
    4850 Palit Sonic 512
    catalyst_812_release_notes:
    Known Issues Under the Windows XP
    The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced
    under the Windows XP operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These
    include:
    • Catalyst Control Center, the deinterlacing option under AVIVO video is not
    available after returning from VPU recovery
    • Video corruption may be noticed during certain MPEG-2 file playback
    • Playing some Blu-ray HD titles on multi head displays may cause the system
    to stop responding
    • Previous transcoders may cause the ATI AVIVO Video Converter to not use
    the GPU for trancodiing
    • Transcoding multiple times may cause the ATI AVIVO Converter to not use
    the GPU :puke2:

6. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    After installing the latest driver fallout 3 gets worse!!

WTF!!!

[​IMG]

7. Knutselmaaster

Knutselmaaster Active Member

GPU:
    AMD6870 xfire
    I believe some people have misinterpreted my previous post.
    What i said (or ment to say, when i read back it does but maybe for other people it doesn't):
    Try installing drivers the "normal" way, especially if you don't know exactly what all driversweeper & co programs are for.
    If you have problems after that, and you never messed with your system, yes then there is a problem with the driver, it should work like that because it was designed to do so.
    Now in case of problems you should try the same thing again, for example when installing 8.11 on my system, the driver worked but the ccc wouldn't open. I redid the normal uninstall, reboot, install, reboot and all problems where gone.
    If there are still problems, and only then, use one of the driver cleanup programs to try getting rid of leftovers that cause troubles.
    People who use driver cleanup programs from the beginning, are often ignorant of the function of such programs and their proper usage. (like use them even without uninstalling the old driver first, or without reboot, or not sweeping in safe mode etc)
    Those people, who don't know why and what they are doing but just see a post here or there on the net with a downloadlink and some text like "it did wonders for me" and thus use programs they don't need or don't know or don't understand etc, and then have troubles afterwards and come flaming an entire enterprise in a forum, i call noobs and ignorant.
    Because there are so many different hardware and software combinations possible in pc's, it's impossible for a driver programmer to test their driver on all possible combinations and so there will allways be posibilities of problems, that's inevitable (wow i used "possible" a lot there)
    So no, all people with problems aren't noobs, and yes it can be that the 8.12 is a buggy driver and i'm just lucky to have it working.
    But please, don't blame ATI (or any other manufacturer that releases drivers) of producing bad products if you haven't at least used their stuff the way it is ment to be used.

I hope to be more clear and less offensive, my apologies for all unnessesairy rise of bloodpreasure i caused,

Knutsel

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Some people have had to install the drivers more than once to get them working. Seems to be a lot of complaints from X58 chipset users as well. Guess everyone will have to wait for 9.1 to see if that problem gets fixed....or try to the patch that was released for the X58 chipset users...

9. G-lad21

G-lad21 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    i got issues with nba2k9..black curves and vibrations...and fps with gtaiv...post your scores

10. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I haven't used driversweeper to clean my computer of old ATI drivers, I just let the installer install the new drivers on top of the old ones and everything has always worked okay. Well, there was that one time the install froze but I think it was because I uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones.

8.12 installed okay too, no problems, didn't even have to reboot(I think it's become standard since 8.11?) and it also kept my overlock. :D

11. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Just trowing ideas out there ,do the people with no problems run xp or vista 32 or 64 bit? Does anyone have have sp2 installed in vista?
    X58 owners what bios do you have?
    Mobo drivers?

12. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    any news on the device manager error 43 and not working card yet?
    vista 64 sp1
    asus p5e with x38(same as x48 actually; driver version 9.0.0.1008 - the newest from intel.com; asus site has older version <- have not tried it); bios version 1003(the newest, also tried with 0702)
    8gb ram
    x-fi
    e8200

maybe we could find some commonalities

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    All good here. X58 chipset, the drivers installed perfectly with a quick driver sweeper in safe mode which cleaned out RC3 drivers. Crossfire works, All my games seem smoother and Far Cry 2 is amazing, it doesn't stutter in DX10 mode anymore. Great Drivers!! Keepers for me :D

14. Khan

Khan Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATI 4870 X2
    Incidentally, these have been the most solid drivers for me yet. Uninstall Cat 8.11, reboot, install 8.12, reboot, done.

Got rid of some PoP / 3dMark vantage issues as well.

15. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3090
    Not whql ?????

16. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    1.ATI Uninstall Utility
    2.Do no reboot
    3.Driver Sweeper
    4.Reboot
    5.Install 8.12

With those steps it has been working fine for me.

17. Adalwar

Adalwar Member

GPU:
    Powerc HD3850 AGP DDR3
    So far the tests I have done , the 8.12 are very stable and no problems at all.
    I see there some people with Install issues and I would like to share here how I install ATI Drivers.
    1- Control Panel> Add/Remove programs
    2- Reboot in Safe Mode
    3- Driver Cleaner- Clean all ATI Stuff
    4- Reboot and
    PRESS F8, THEN FROM WINDOWS BOOT MENU, CHOICE
    - VGA MODE
    5- Install ATI normal.
    I never had issues with ATI, only at a time there was a error "MOM.Implementation" but that is solved since long time now.
    I use ATI since the time of 9800Pro and I am quite satisfied with their Drivers.

18. B.B.

B.B. Member

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    Running 8.12 on vista64 and I can't seem to enable ATI overdriver, it's always grayed out. Is this a known problem or done by design in the latest driver?

I never used the overdrive feature before, but I'm just a little worried that this might not be all and this might be the result of something else... anyone can help me?

...and one other little thing, how to I check that both gpus are working and not just one? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  19. Pura.

Pura. Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti
    Well installed 8.12 yesterday ... on vista 64 played Crysis, COD5, Dead Space , Far Cry 2 without problems !

as for performance... i cant really see any diference....only in COD5 there is a little more image quality ...

Best thing about these drivers is , that i got a bit cooling performance ....my MSI 4870 x2 got about -5c in IDLE ... dont know how... but checked it with 8.11 and 8.12 and its really -5c :)

as for me.. im staying with 8.12 ...

20. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    I have seen all the install issues with CCC listed here in almost every version, everytime I have run the update it has kicked the driver upon restart. It shouldn't be ATI's driver, too many people can install it without problems.
    It's been a fight to get the system stable again but here's what works for me.

1. Unstall the driver from device manager, I use have vista and I check the box "delete driver software" box
    2. Run the CCC unstall program.
    3. Run Regedit, delete both of ATI's folders under "local machine/software"
    4. Restart
    5. Manualy install video driver
    6. Run CCC install program
    7. Restart
    8. Cross fingers, toes and anything else you can find

Good Luck
    Bretware