ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armour OC GTX1060 6GB
    Stupid question, how do I create a profile with the latest Catalyst menu ? With the old one I could do it but the new one, not sure. Must I even create a profile for Dead Space or can I manually use AA settings (with MLAA) for it to take effect ? Or will the AA only show once a profile has been created ?

2. ElektroGuy

ElektroGuy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ARHD 5870
    Morph. filtering has been around since the dark ages. Why AMD is implementing this into their new cards is beyond my level of comprehension. They don't need it in any way, shape or form.

3. Kuldebar

Kuldebar Active Member

GPU:
    GT730 2GB/DDR5
    I think it's good that MLAA been picked up and dusted off. I think the potential for it is very great.

Improving and refining MLAA holds great possibilities.

I'd probably use MLAA if it didn't blur the UI and text in games, some refinements to how the UI is rendered could eliminate that particular issue. GPU power isn't in decline, so a whole screen approach to anti aliasing, especially one that isn't too demanding (compared to conventional methods) seems to coming into its own.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing how much can come of this.

4. ElektroGuy

ElektroGuy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ARHD 5870
    Morph. filtering? On 6x cards? It doesn't make any frickin' sense.

Unless AMD is tossing out hand me downs for lower end cards. In the state it's in right now, don't expect it being refined all that much. I've seen m-aa done better years ago.

5. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Guys best setting for NFSHP 2010?

Currently with Radeon Pro im running:

4x Super sampling
    MLAA enabled
    AA type slider on Super sampling

I dont see a very tangible AA ingame thought. What im doing wrong? I tried withouth MLAA but seems the same.

6. luke76bg

luke76bg Active Member

GPU:
    7950 boost edition
    Hey someone can tell if can get mlaa working with pcsx2 with catalyst 11.12 in dx11 mode ? I cant'! And sometime ago, or driver ago, i can use mlaa in dx 11 mode in pcsx2! What may have happened ?

7. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    I like the principal idea, and don't think having the option to use it is a bad thing. There are games where AA doesn't work and that would be a way to force it for little cost. Other times it might make more sense this way because of shader resources.

What I don't like about it is that it messes with the visuals, in some games it's not too bad, but when they use fine fonts text suffers badly. I would think that's something AMD could improve at the cost of shader performance. Do you have any examples of better MLAA?

8. geeunit

geeunit Master Guru

GPU:
    intel 4500mhd
    i only read a few pages so forgive me if i missed the answer if it was already in there.

i play bfbc2 mostly on the machine you see the specs to on the left.

anyhow i get that texture flicker sometimes....i mean it will do it for a bit then it seems to go away.

it dont do it all the time...mostly when i join a multiplayer game but it still does do it after i been in the game for a bit.

anyhow what is the best AA for that game with my system (dont forget im crossfire and want to keep that on)

thanks