ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Konrad321

Konrad321 Banned

EQAA does not work on your HD5850. It does work only for Cayman.

2. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    You don't use it in combination with another type of AA, as it doesn't work that well when you do.
    And it's not the ideal type of AA. It does work in GTA4, but SSAA (enb) looks way better (and runs like crap :p)

I've noticed that in Divinity2:DKS MLAA does work with HDR, but sometimes it causes more aliasing.....very odd (without HDR it works perfectly, reminds me of quincunx AA)

3. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    I disagree, for example it works well in UT3 this way (got 4XSSAA + MFAA).
    So the picture doesn't look too blurry because MFAA has only to smooth the edges which aren't affected by SSAA, e.g. due to HDR.
    The overall image quality is great then, in contrary to pure MFAA.

But UT3 seems to be an exception, or can anyone else please name some games in which MFAA makes sense?
    In NFS HP for example it makes the picture too blurry...

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah it does work, its very subtle compared to how it was when i tried it on my 5850, as when i tried it on there, it was all a blury mess, it was like i was running in the wrong resolution, but on my 6970, its nowhere near as bad, as can't really tell its on, had to really look to see :)

5. antipacker

antipacker Banned

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    what settings is best to use then in the 3D settings ?

i have 2x hd 6870's and an i5 750 @ 4.3ghz

6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 6gb mini
    Does css support this mlaa?

7. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    "Support" is the wrong word, it "works" for it is better.
    But the result is awful: Edges are flickering and everything is blurry.

Why don't you use SSAA in CSS?
    Radeon 5000 series should be fast enough for this.
    I play CSS with 4xSSAA by myself.

8. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 6gb mini
    Ah ok i will try that next. Thanks.

9. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Got a 6850 today. Coming from Nvidia the CCC looks a little underwhelming, or maybe I just don't understand it yet.

Is there some way I can activate MLAA for just certain games? I can find the MLAA checkbox, but is that global? I'd like to activate it on some games, but not on others - is this possible?

I'm using 10.12 Catalyst.

10. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Yes, the easiest way is to set up individual game profiles using the 3rd party app radeonpro..sticky'd in this forum..

11. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Thanks mate, I'll check that out.

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armour OC GTX1060 6GB
    Just checked the Nvidia driver section and they got the jaggies almost completely eliminated in Dead Space. Some of the screenshots looked unbelievable. It's much better than MLAA where it gives you reduced jaggies but there are still quite a few jaggies left.

So I'm hoping I'll be able to get in on the action soon.

13. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    You can improve deadspace slightly further than just MLAA, while it would be nice if amd supported custom downsampling, you can rename deadspace to use darksiderspc.exe profile (which will allow you to force AA at the cost of no crossfire) then you can also MLAA on top. It will improve things like distance wire mesh etc, but will introduce small dark halo artifacts around some stuff aswell as a side effect.

I was running 4xmsaa + mlaa and was above 60fps min on my 6950

14. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    dox_aus,

Please just clarify what you did. You renamed the exe file to darksiderpc and then you can go to Catalyst and use whatever AA settings you want with MLAA and this time the additional AA settings actually make a decent difference ?

The funny thing I tried last night was I played Dead Space with MLAA, there is an obvious reduction in jaggies. Then I tried Dead Space with MLAA and 8x AA and there is a very, very small improvement in jaggies but its obvious that my frame rate was penalized heavily because the game runs at under 20 fps if I apply it. Funny how the game can run so much slower with such a minor improvement.

So renaming the exe file will just make the AA settings more pronounced in the game ? I'm clueless with this stuff so please help me understand. Thanks.

15. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Actually it looks like ati updated their profile for deadspace as its using the same AA system as darksiders/starcraft2 etc so you dont need to rename it anymore to force AA.

Tried a few settings, best result is probably 2xSSAA + MLAA (the ssaa helps get rid of the shader black/white halo artificats around things) which still allowed me to maintain 60fps minimum, you will have trouble tho at that setting as your card is 2-3x slower. Also turning off fake edge blur AA ingame when you force aa/mlaa will improve the image imo.

16. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Morphological AA works great with Crysis. No performance hit and no more aliased vegetation.

17. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MLAA didn't significantly improve foliage for me. The fps hit was rather big on my system as well. I found that images were far sharper when activating AA in-game rather than in the Catalyst menu. Speaking of Crysis, I haven't even reached half-way in that game because I still can't play it properly. It runs like sh*t on my system. Need to upgrade soon.

18. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    IMO keep the 5770. you need faster cpu & memory for 1920x1080 AAx0 @ 35fps. just like me. :)

Game Booster helps smooth out the fps when you pan around.
    http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

And try this auto config tweaker for better visuals with no loss of fps.
    http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  19. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    I was thinking of getting the Intel Sandy Bridge I5 2500k. Would that make a substantial improvement to gaming at 1920x1080 resolutions ? Because I'm finding my frame rates are all over the place. When I first got my graphics card, I could play at very high settings at 1920x1080 resolutions. It wasn't playable but far more playable than it is now.

Now it's dog slow. I don't know if it's the latest drivers or something else but it's weird. As it stands, the game is chugging along and it's probably around 12-15 fps at very high settings. One thing that has plagued my set up from the beginning and I have no idea what the fix is are the mountain textures. They are awfully low resolution when I load a saved game. If I start a new game, the mountain textures are very detailed and sharp. If I load a save game they are super low res (I'm talking extremely low res...and don't buffer properly so you turn around and the whole screen needs to load).

The funny thing is that this game is 4 years old and I STILL can't play it properly. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    if u have a 6000+ yes, u will notice a performance. Altho you would go from a cpu-bound system to a gpu-bound one :p.