ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    MLAA and SFO it works like a charm in NFS HP and Nail'd (only these tested so far). I really thought that these functions will be enabled as default in Catalyst 10.12. that would have make them HUGE...maybe:nerd:.

2. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armour OC GTX1060 6GB
    Catalyst Von tweaks. That's about it. I just downloaded the file, ran it and then it worked. As far as modifying the registry, well, that was just a waste of time because nothing I tried seemed to work and I believe I did everything correctly.

As for MLAA stacking with conventional AA, I'm not sure either. I assumed it made a difference to Dead Space because there was a major performance hit when I engaged 8X AA EQ with MLAA. Whether there was a difference, hard to tell unless I had side by side shots.

Although I do wonder why there would be a major performance penalty in the game if there were no actual improvements.

3. cobhc2007

cobhc2007 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 980ti JS
    The registry settings in the UMD sub key that Eastcoasthandle mentioned is what did it for me, never saw that in any other guide.

Thanks!

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    For those of you that already have MLAA working and want EQAA to be shown in CCC/CCC2 follow these instructions:

1. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000[X] (X denotes whatever CCC's 2nd Driver File Path tells you) and change EQAA from 1 to number 0.

2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000[X]\UMD and add the following:
    Right click, select new, select binary value and enter: EQAA. Then right click on EQAA and select modify. Enter: 31 00
    Right click, select new, select string value and enter:EQAA_DEF. Then right click on EQAA_DEF, select modify. Enter: 0
    Right click, select new, select string value and enter: EQAAMapping_SET. Then right click on EQAAMapping_SET, select modify. Enter: 0(0:0,1:0) 2(0:2,1:2) 4(0:4,1:4) 8(0:8,1:8,2:16)

3. Open Windows Task Manager tab over to Process and end Mom.exe. Click on File and select "New Task {Run...)" and enter Mom.exe. Recheck CCC to see if changes and visible.

For instructions on the other tweaks go here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3814901#post3814901

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

5. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    As a matter of interest, what does EQ AA do that regular AA doesn't do ? Because I've got both options and I've chosen 4x AA EQ but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. A more efficient AA method ?

6. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    Works as advertised.:thumbup:

[​IMG]
    By jaxmacfl at 2010-12-20

Thanks again.:)

7. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    1. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000[X] (X denotes whatever CCC's 2nd Driver File Path tells you) and change EQAA from 1 to number 0.

Replace EQAA with EQAA_NA. Thanks for the info. Works for me. :)

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    works for me too, tanks:)

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    was one of the ini settings for crossfire because for some reason I have an option to disable crossfire power settings even though I dont have crossfire

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    CrossfireX Power Savings checkbox

For those that want the CrossfireX Power Savings checkbox option for CCC2/CCC do the following:
    Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/000[X] (X is according to CCC's 2D Driver File Path) and change or add EnableUlps_NA as a String Value. Right click on EnableUlps_NA and modify it using the number 1. Open up windows task manager and tab over to processes. End Process for Mom.exe. Click on File then select New Task (Run...) and type Mom.exe and hit enter. Re-check CCC to see if the Disable CrossfireX Power Savings checkbox is now available.

Side Note:
    To remove that checkbox feature change the EnableUlps_NA value from 1 to 0. Also make sure you have the Dword EnableUlps with the numeric value of 0= disable 1= enable.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

11. kmtan181

kmtan181 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Need some info, does EQAA works better than normal AA ?

12. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]

No one has confirmed if it actually works with the 5800 series card or not. What you will need to do is disable all AA in a game, exit and enable EQAA from the control panel. Restart the game and see if AA is being applied or not.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  13. kmtan181

kmtan181 New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5850 1GB
    I don't have EQAA yet from CCC. I know it can be tweak from the registry, just trying to find some further info on EQAA v AA.

Right now, I have MLAA = ON + 8XAA (Edge-Detect). Game I play is Warhammer which do not have any AA/AF settings in-game.

What I wanna know does 8XEQAA runs better than 8XAA (Edge-Detect) ?

14. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    To be honest I really haven't seen any pics to see if it does or doesn't.

15. nitroin

nitroin Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1024GDDR4
    edit: it works.

16. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Has anyone tried to see if EQAA is working in games when using a 5800 series card?

17. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    I wonder if better versions of MLAA will be released in a driver update ? Sort of like MLAA 2x....4x..etc. For games that don't include AA like Dead Space, obviously MLAA makes a nice difference but if you are playing on a big screen like I do (27 inch) and are sitting close, you can still see jaggies, less pronounced but it's still not as razor sharp as I would like it to be.

I'm hoping a better version with additional options for sharper images will be made available in a later driver update or something. Probably reaching but it's what I'm hoping for. Still, MLAA is a step in the right direction.

18. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    due to nature of MLAA, sharper image in the same sentence as MLAA is a paradox.

bluring is less noticable on high resolutions with additional MSAA, but that's it, blur is the thing MLAA introduces. No way around it, deal with it. It's crap if you ask me. Here we are, comparing IQ for years and here comes MLAA, takes a vomit on the IQ and people now want more. Why?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  19. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    The very interesting thing for me is that if I choose 2x AA with morphological AA the picture looks like a mess. There is a huge loss of detail, it looks like the image has been softened A LOT. Then if I choose 4x AA, it all goes away. I tried this on Dead Space and I just pressed 'alt-tab' to see the results after changing the settings in the Catalyst menu. Not sure why the image gets so soft with 2x AA but it gets fixed with 4x. You can clearly see on Isaac's suit that there is a lot of detail that is super blurry. Simply changing the AA fixes the detail loss. So I'm just keeping it on 4x AA if I can.

In my opinion, MLAA has been fantastic for games that don't have AA. Jaggies are definitely less visible and it makes for a more enjoyable experience, especially on larger screens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I can't seem to get this working, or its just me, as i can't see any difference, still jaggy, what settings do you use in the CCC, is it override Application Settings, tick the Morph, and select desired AA with the slider (2xAA/2xEQ etc...), or what, ive tried GTA 4, seems to be no change on or off, tried Crysis, just seems to turn v-sync off in that :p