ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    MLAA does a really nice job here, on Mass Effect.

No MLAA
    [​IMG]

MLAA
    [​IMG]

No MLAA
    [​IMG]

MLAA
    [​IMG]

Tried my best (which, you can figure is not a lot :p) to take the screen at the same "positions" and stuff. Didn't came out well. :stewpid:

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it blurs the image a bit, its like Af isn't working good enough lol, maybe 6000 has a workaround since it uses better AF and aa..

3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I've tried AA with Wide Tent

It's worse.

4. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    So supported games so far (that normally don't support full AA):
    - Aliens VS Predator DX9 mode
    - ArcaniA Gothic 4 - works
    - Deus Ex 2 with bloom
    - Mafia 2 - works but not 100% (still, it's better then without).
    - Starcraft II
    - Thief 3 with bloom
    - Mass Effect 1+2 (even though renaming the exe to bioshock already gave me AA)

Unsupported:
    - Gothic 3

5. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    it's still better then nothing..i hope that future drivers will optimize this even better, and make it usable in much more games that don't support AA.

6. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    never try wide-tent and narrow-tent again you and noone else...are for developers and 3d designers...not for gamers/gaming applications...edge antialiasing is the best offer from ati...24x edge aa, is already perfect...much better than 16x msaa...but...kills fps...so...that's why hd6000 dont have wide and narrow options...they gave them mlaa for heavy applications...

7. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Mkay, tested all day long and I can say that MLAA works in every dx application, up to dx9, I tested. Even Halo PC from 2001 works and it looks marvelous.
    And also I figured why GTA IV looked that blurry, it's because I had a sharpening filter enabled in ENB-Mod. It must somehow interfere with MLAA thus resulting in a very blurried picture.
    I got to say that 99% of the time it looked very good with just a little blur and for some games with no AA support up to date its a very good alternative I must admit. But theres this 1% where the picture looks too blurried and flickers a lot even if there is no added filter like the one I mentioned in GTA IV. These games are mostly ones with many alpha textures like grass or other vegetation and games with many sub-pixel parts, like wires and grids in Half-Life 2. The demo of gothic 4 with MLAA enabled looks imo like **** and also Stalker SOC is a dissapointment with MLAA.

Edit: Did some more testing with combined AA modes like MSAA+MLAA --> result is don't do it ever! MLAA needs the aliased parts of the image to work properly, the more aliased the geometry is the better it works!
    Will maybe add some screens but 4xMSAA+MLAA looks worse than MLAA alone in every game I tested. Also Dead Space with ingame AA+MLAA is much worse than MLAA alone. Still need to test Mafia II though.
    But really u shouldn't combine MLAA with other AA modes or Ingame AA

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    The one game I cant get it to work with is GRID. It looks decent with 4xaa @ 1920x1080 but i lose almost 20fps with aa enabled......

9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Interesting.
    Not to insinuate that i don't believe you. But some screenshots to prove the point would be appreciated.

Thanks again japamd.

10. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Dunno how to take screenshots but here's something I found in the neogaf forum:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the rear part of the gun on the right? When msaa 4x+mlaa is enabled it's blurrier and the transition to the background scatters somehow. Also you should consider the performance drop when MSAA is enabled.

heres the link to the thread:
    http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=410623&page=11

BTW: Mafia looks better when ingame AA and MLAA are enabled. Dunno why but we all know Mafia II's ingame AA is no regular MSAA. Maybe thats the reason.

11. Bogdy2160

Bogdy2160 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 Armor 2X
    i cannot get it to work :( I modified these drivers, downloaded from Amd site(catalyst_8.782.1rc5_win7_mlaa_oct21) on the path
    C:\AMD\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\
    And this one,
    C:\AMD\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\

i modified both inf files,C7106976.inf and CW106976 .I searched for all MLF_NA keys and put them to 0 and install the drivers,and i don't have the option in CCC, if i try to replace the 2 inf files from the ones i download from this thread(any of them i tried them all) i get an error message when it completes installing.

[​IMG]

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    [​IMG]

Animated gif for SC2 , posted on XS forums

@Bogdy, have you replace just the text in the C7xxxx and CW or have you copy the files only ?

If yes..:

- Uninstall the driver ( with the CCC uninstall program > remove all ati driver )
    - reinstall the original 10.10a ( RC5), redo the mod operation (open the text files, control+a ( for select all the lines), control+C > open the the files on the driver installation > Control+a > delete > control+V > save ( do same on the second file ) ..

- Install the driver normally .... reboot ...

- It's not needed to change anything in the registry.

huum hard to say on this gif, as the image is absolutely not the same on background.

Anyway it's totally possible it will blur a little bit the texture, but i don't feel it's a real problem look on the SC2, the image is really highly zoomed, you will never play so close, and the difference is absolutely impossible to see if you don't search it ...

13. EN[joi]DK

EN[joi]DK Active Member

GPU:
    msi 1060 6GB
    I have made the tweak on my 4870X2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

have tried a couple of games games with mlaa enabled MOH2010, LP2, GTAIV, FiFA11, MOHMW2 resulting in black flickering bars!!

two games did work though with mlaa enabled. It was BFBC2 and metro2033 with very good result

edit: just tried CIV5 and it works with mlaa. F12010 didnt

14. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    And how did you get new options in Catalyst A.I. section? I only have Morphological filtering.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I wonder why Catalyst A.I. only appears under the All tab and doesn't have its own tab like with earlier drivers? Is it the same with the HD 6800 cards?

And I agree with the comment earlier about not using MSAA and MLAA together. If the image is already anti-aliased then the MLAA has a harder time determining contrasting edges and all you end up with it a blurrier image with less detail. There is no reason to use MLAA IMO if a game already supports AA natively (forced or in-game) but if it incurs a heavy penalty then you should use MLAA *instead of* MSAA.

16. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Confirmed working on my HD5770..

Thanks!

Anyone having trouble with this, make sure youve got the 10.10a hotfix drivers, let it unpack to C:\, download this .txt attachment, change the extention to .rar and extract it so that it overwrites the "packages" folder inside "Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21"

17. Phyxion

Phyxion Banned

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770 1G VT
    Too bad the text in Source games is almost not readable anymore...

18. EN[joi]DK

EN[joi]DK Active Member

GPU:
    msi 1060 6GB
    copy this to a .txt file. open regedit and import .txt. then it works :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ; MLAA for 5xxx
    ; Made by Kasper93

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\C-
    ontrol\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\00-
    00]
    "MLF_NA"="0"
    "EnableUlp-
    s_NA"="0"
    "SurfaceFormatReplaceme-
    nts_NA"="0"
    "TFQ_NA"="0-
    "
    "TextureLod_NA"="1"
    [HKEY-
    _LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D3-
    6E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\UMD]
    "ML-
    F_DEF"="0"
    "EnableUlps_DEF"=-
    "0"
    "SurfaceFormatReplacements_DEF-
    4;="0"
    "TFQ_DEF"="1"
    &-
    #034;AntiAliasSamples_SET"= "0,2,4,8"
    "AntiAlias_DEF"="1-
    "
    "AntiAliasSamples_DEF"="0"-
    "AntiAliasMapping_SET"="0(0:0,1:0) 2(0:2,1:2) 4(0:4,1:4) 8(0:8,1:8,2:16)"

19. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    OK, I'll try. Thanks!

20. rone

rone Member Guru

How can i have only MLAA and not combined MLAA+other mode AA in games? Does it means that when Morphological Filtering box is checked in CCC and no AA is applied in games I have working MLAA?