ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    AMD/ATI are adding a new anti-aliasing mode alongside the launch of the new HD 6800 cards but not in the forthcoming 10.10 WHQL driver due tomorrow unfortunately (Saturday, 23rd October). Instead they'll release a 10.10a Hotfix driver that will add support for it sometime later, hopefully within a week or so of the WHQL release.

Anyway, this new MLAA can apparently be used on the older HD 5000 cards as well as the new ones and is a post-processing effect that can be used on DX9, DX10 and DX11 games just by enabling an option in the Catalyst Control Centre.

There's an interesting article that explains it in more depth *here* and no doubt we'll see one from Guru3D too. While they couldn't get it to work in Battlefield Bad Company 2 (suggesting that it may not work with *all* games as I thought it would), the results for StarCraft II were very impressive. For those who can't be bothered to read it, it basically gives you 4xMSAA at little or no performance cost over having no AA enabled at all! All I can say to that is WOW! :D

The only downside is that being a fullscreen effect it can blur/distort on-screen text and HUD elements but for games that don't support traditional AA or ones that incur a heavy performance penalty, MLAA could be a decent substitute.

I can't wait to try it for myself.

2. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    this better be a driver thing and it will work on 58xx series aswell.....

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Some articles infer that it is an HD 6x00 feature but others claim that it will work on the HD5000 cards too. It is a post-processing feature done by the driver so there's no reason that the older cards couldn't do it as the new cards are only minor upgrades after all and MLAA isn't using any new hardware feature.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but personally I'm really excited about this. I hope it does work on the HD 5870 too but if not, well, it's one more excuse for me to upgrade I guess when the HD 6900 cards are released.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I hope the 4xxx series can use this

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Anandtech said this in their review of the new HD 6800 cards:

"Finally, for those of you curious how this is being handled internally, this is actually being done by AMD’s drivers through a DirectCompute shader. Furthermore they’re taking heavy advantage of the Local Data Store of their SIMD design to keep adjacent pixels in memory to speed it up, with this being the biggest reason why it has such a low amount of overhead. Since it’s a Compute Shader, this also means that it should be capable of being back-ported to the 5000 series, although AMD has not committed to this yet. There doesn’t appear to be a technical reason why this isn’t possible, so ultimately it’s up to AMD and if they want to use it to drive 6800 series sales over 5000 series sales."

That kind of implies that MLAA is not yet currently working for the HD 5000 cards, which itself is disappointing ( :( ), but hopefully they will add it at some point. Of course, they could just keep it as an exclusive HD 6000 card feature, to encourage existing HD 5000 owners to upgrade, but that would be unfair since this fullscreen AA effect is little more than a driver hack.

6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    If AMD don't do it.
    Modders will do.

7. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    Its official, 58xx series will get the option in a later driver post 10.11s.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Disappointing but I can't say that I'm too surprised. As someone else said it isn't unusual for features to be initially exclusive to new hardware in order to give them an extra selling point.

Still we'll get added officially eventually but I'm hoping that someone finds a way of enabling it via a registry tweak or driver hack in the meantime.

9. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Yeh MLAA has me excited as i hate shader aliasing, altho the one game i'd be most keen to use it on doesnt work :p

10. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Those Tom's gifs look nice, but teh static image can barely tell you how things really look like. My guess is that in motion it will look similar to Mafia 2 AA option (according to what's mentioned in article), only better(?) Hope to be wrong. Anyway, let's wait for first 6xxx users feedback here.

11. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Good news everyone!
    A german user from 3d-center forum unlocked MLAA function for 5000series hardware.
    Im just in the process to translate it for you, be patient and start downloading the 10.10a hotfix if you havent already ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  12. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    w00t! Can't wait!!! Translate that bitch :)

13. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Cool, wonder if it would work with GTA4.

14. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Start the downloaded file and extract to a folder.
    Go to directory(where you extracted)\Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\ and open CW106976.inf

Now download this .txt file http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=8343445&postcount=18. Now select with Ctrl+A and copy the modded lines into the inf.
    Do the same with C7106976.inf in \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\.

Now start the setup and the function should be unlocked in CCC.

Edit: People in the PCGH forum say GTA IV is working with MLAA!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    w00t!!! Thank you!!! Will try ASAP!

16. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    **** any easier way LOL

can someone upload the 2 modded files :)

17. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    Cool, gonna give it a try now!

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    As soon as i have downloaded the driver, i will upload the 2 inf files modified.

19. yaji

yaji Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512MB
  20. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU: